One of my friends has a blackberry curve from AT&T and she recently told them she wants to get rid of the $30 charge for megabyte usage. i have the blackberry tour and i was courious of a blackberry can work without it. i hear you HAVE TO HAVE IT in order for the phone to work. would the SMS and dialing work. All the other stuff wouldnt work. i knoww this is a stupid question buit just curious. I am a newbie with blackberrys but i am loving it though.
    12-07-09 09:23 PM
    VZW requires the data plan. no plan no BB
    12-07-09 09:25 PM
    Blackberries do work without data plans, but having one without data defeats the purpose of a blackberry. Unfortunately all carriers make it mandatory to have a data plan with "smartphones"(this includes BB) so you can't drop your data plan. Personally I don't agree with that but that is the way it is right now.
    12-07-09 09:28 PM
    i dont plan on getting rid of mine. just wanting to know. thanks
    12-07-09 09:34 PM
    You would probably be better off with getting a regular phone since its almost impossible to be without a data plan on verizon.
    12-08-09 01:52 AM
    I thought it wwas mandatory for all bb but my friend on at&t doesn't have the. $30 charge either. I asked him what was point of having a bb lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-09 08:24 AM
    Somw carriers have switched to requiring data plan, customers without are usually grandfathered,
    12-08-09 08:27 AM
    Somw carriers have switched to requiring data plan, customers without are usually grandfathered,
    Correct, but I also think any plan adjustments or device upgrades cause this to go into effect.
    12-08-09 08:45 AM
    Correct, but I also think any plan adjustments or device upgrades cause this to go into effect.
    I would venture to guess this is also correct.
    12-08-09 08:48 AM
    I would venture to guess this is also correct.
    Which means if you have been grandfathered in, you will have one old device
    12-08-09 08:50 AM
    I'm not trying to flame anyone, just venting. Having a smartphone with out data is....well....dumb. It completely defeats the purpose of having a smartphone. Get an env3 if you want a keyboard and text.
    12-08-09 09:03 AM
    This topic always comes up, because people want to be like everyone else, with the cool or new smartphone but don't want to pay for it. If you can't handle it don't get it. And don't complain when you can't get it without data, because no one is forcing you to get it.
    12-08-09 10:43 AM
    Blackberries do work without data plans, but having one without data defeats the purpose of a blackberry. Unfortunately all carriers make it mandatory to have a data plan with "smartphones"(this includes BB) so you can't drop your data plan. Personally I don't agree with that but that is the way it is right now.
    I ordered my mother a blackberry (new curve) for tmobile without the data plan, The phone still works. She didnt need the data plan, all she wanted was the full keyboard to text and she liked the bb the most and a few years back I had the pearl right after release on tmobile, I switched to verizon and gave my pearl to a friend who used it on AT@T (unlocked it first) without a bb plan.
    12-08-09 11:19 AM
    If you buy the phone outright ie. Paying the $600 you don't have to put the $30 a month data plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-09 12:27 PM
    with TMobile you don't need a data plan. I had a friend disconnect her data due to financial woes. But with Sprint and Verizon you do have to have a data plan. I can't understand why you would want such a highend device without data. There are other great devices you can text on without having a data plan.
    12-08-09 02:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD