I have a friend who wants to pre order the Tour but is not sure she can sync with her desktop. She does not have any kind of an exchange server and just uses xp professional with outlook 2007.

Any suggestions here? She is an attorney and syncing email and calendar wirelessly is a must.

Thanks for your help

Zippy
    07-05-09 05:25 PM
    She wont need an exchange server, she will have to set up a BIS account.

There will be multiple ways she can go about doing this depending on how she gets the e-mail into her outlook.
    07-05-09 05:28 PM
    Awesome thanks. She is excited now!
    07-05-09 06:06 PM
    She wont need an exchange server, she will have to set up a BIS account.

There will be multiple ways she can go about doing this depending on how she gets the e-mail into her outlook.
    Thank you for the reply. She told me she just talked to Tech Support at Verizon and they told her that the only way she could get real time calendar and emails was to have a "Blackberry Enterprise Server" (BES) and that it would cost her thousands, and therefore it's not for individual users. They told her that the "Blackberry Internet Service" (BIS) would only give her the emails, and that if she wanted to update her calender she would have to plug in to update.

Any ideas on how she can make this work wirelessly?
    07-05-09 06:23 PM
    You can use Google Sync and sync with a google calendar. But do a search for issues related to that and see if it is for you.
    07-05-09 06:38 PM
    Yes, and note that emails do not SYNC on a BIS. And while you can sync your calendar with the BlackBerry Desktop Manager, you can't sync email.

Google sync (and perhaps Yahoo) are the only BIS wireless solutions.
    07-05-09 06:49 PM
    Yes, and note that emails do not SYNC on a BIS. And while you can sync your calendar with the BlackBerry Desktop Manager, you can't sync email.

Google sync (and perhaps Yahoo) are the only BIS wireless solutions.
    I am confused now. Why do they make this so hard? Can you tell me what she needs to do to sync wirelessly her email, calendar and contacts?
    07-05-09 07:26 PM
    To sync all 3 wirelessly she would have to set up a google account.

To set up e-mail sync BIS can do that.

NOW if she really really doesn't want to set up a google account, and NEEDS her calendar synced then she can look into HOSTED BES, I don't know much about these, but you could ask about them in the General section of the forums and I'm sure people would help you out that way. HOSTED BES would run probably around 30 a month, and she'd be able to write it off on her taxes.
    07-05-09 07:33 PM
    Thank you for the reply. She told me she just talked to Tech Support at Verizon and they told her that the only way she could get real time calendar and emails was to have a "Blackberry Enterprise Server" (BES) and that it would cost her thousands, and therefore it's not for individual users. They told her that the "Blackberry Internet Service" (BIS) would only give her the emails, and that if she wanted to update her calender she would have to plug in to update.

Any ideas on how she can make this work wirelessly?
    You can synch via Bluetooth without a problem. And, if she wants to do this without a hassle, have her get a Sprint Tour - even their most inept CSR knows that synching with Outlook is a piece of cake and OF COURSE you do not have to have BES!! Make her feel welcome to the world of Crackberry!
    07-05-09 07:43 PM
    But she should know that the syncing (even by Bluetooth) is not automatic with BlackBerry Desktop Manager. It's a manual process for syncing the calendar with BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

And still, email doesn't sync with BlackBerry Desktop Manager. Email is pushed to the device over the network and POP3 emails are not synced with the email client (ie Outlook).

Google Sync is still the closest (although perhaps not ideal for all users) option other than a Hosted BES.
    07-05-09 10:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD