Ok long story short I signed up with Rhapsody and my 8130 doesn't support DRM I'm annoyed and stuck having the cancel the stupid service. Does anyone know if the 9630 will support DRM??
    06-17-09 11:51 PM
    06-18-09 12:54 AM
    to answer your question no device besides a apple product will support DRM...
    06-18-09 01:01 AM
    Damn ok thanks guess I need to cancel my rhapsody subscription.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-09 08:36 AM
    Amazon + Zune Software = epic win.

Let me elaborate on this: Amazon doesn't put ANY DRM on their songs. NONE. So you can move it to any device you want without worrying of it not playing, and each song is only 99 cents. I enjoy the Zune software because it's quick and finds media instantly, so it's a good counterpart to Amazon.
    Last edited by slinky317; 06-19-09 at 09:13 AM.
    06-18-09 08:47 AM
    to answer your question no device besides a apple product will support DRM...
    Have to disagree with this one. DRM is Digital Rights Management and is a pretty generic term for hardware that supports restricted license music. The Blackberry Storm has DRM support, so do Windows Mobile devices and the vast majority of Verizon Wireless phones. That's how their VCast Music service that they used for years before partnering with Rhapsody worked.

The real question right now is whether the new generation of non-touch Blackberries will also have the hardware necessary for this. We know that the Pearl Fip 8230 from VZW doesn't support VCast Music with Rhapsody at launch, but to be honest, the Storm didn't either until the software update the day before it launched.
    06-18-09 11:56 PM
    I'm really hoping that Verizon will allow this. I really don't want to buy a new mp3 player. I was irritated that my pearl doesn't support it. I'm really hoping verizon will at least have the option for it.

06-19-09 09:11 AM
    I'm really hoping that Verizon will allow this. I really don't want to buy a new mp3 player. I was irritated that my pearl doesn't support it. I'm really hoping verizon will at least have the option for it.

I'm telling you man, cancel Rhapsody and just use Amazon. You'll be much happier, and you can use your music on ANY device.

The blame shouldn't rest on RIM - the blame should fall on these greedy companies that put these draconian DRM schemes on music. I downloaded music from vCast once, and after a while it just stopped working... ON THE PHONE I BOUGHT IT ON! After that I vowed never again to buy vCast music. Amazon all the way.
    06-19-09 09:39 AM
    When talking about DRM, you have to be specific. Just because a phone supports one form of DRM, doesn't mean it supports a different type. The bet way is to go with a DRM-free service. From the previous posts, I guess Amazons service is the pick of the pack.

I prefer to just buy CD's, but Amazon and Apple (more and more of Apples music is becoming DRM free) have great services for a la carte song purchases on the cheap. Good luck with this.
    06-19-09 09:57 AM
    True, by FYI- Apple charges extra for DRM music... all of Amazon is DRM-free at 99 cents.
    06-19-09 09:59 AM
    I'm telling you man, cancel Rhapsody and just use Amazon. You'll be much happier, and you can use your music on ANY device.

The blame shouldn't rest on RIM - the blame should fall on these greedy companies that put these draconian DRM schemes on music. I downloaded music from vCast once, and after a while it just stopped working... ON THE PHONE I BOUGHT IT ON! After that I vowed never again to buy vCast music. Amazon all the way.
    Ok, people don't seem to understand what Rhapsody is.

Rhapsody is a SUBSCRIPTION service. $10 a month for unlimited access, $15 a month to be able to download songs to a portable device (like my Storm.) You spend $20 on 2 digital CDs on Amazon, I spend $15 a month and get unlimited access to millions of songs. If you want to be able to download a song and use it wherever, you can pay 99 cents to download the tune, DRM FREE.

I would imagine the Tour would support Rhapsody, I've heard things suggesting good media playback is something that's important on the Tour.
    Last edited by Joel S.; 06-19-09 at 10:21 AM.
    06-19-09 10:08 AM

I blame apple entirely! Hey, can you use Itunes to download from amazon? I have all my muzak in Itunes and apple pretty much has me where they want me. I also download and purchase alot from apple, alot of workout/techno/house club music. does amazon have quality music selection just as good as itunes?
    06-19-09 10:20 AM
    great link! not sure how i feel about 5% music degradation though! i remember i tried using copy pod or ipod agent or something like that and man I lost all my music messing around with 3rd party app! so pi$$ed. so I am kinda hesitant messin around with 3rd party apps ever since.
    06-19-09 10:22 AM
    Thank you Joel! I don't want to spend .99 a song or how ever much. I really want a subscription base service, I used to to have a Zune(2 for that matter one died the other was stolen) and loved the subscription. I really want that option to use with my BlackBerry, if the storm was more stable and didn't have the issues it did I would have gotten one and wouldn't be in the spot I am in. I really want the tour but if it doesn't support it I may have to get a Storm.

06-19-09 10:42 AM
    Thank you Joel! I don't want to spend .99 a song or how ever much. I really want a subscription base service, I used to to have a Zune(2 for that matter one died the other was stolen) and loved the subscription. I really want that option to use with my BlackBerry, if the storm was more stable and didn't have the issues it did I would have gotten one and wouldn't be in the spot I am in. I really want the tour but if it doesn't support it I may have to get a Storm.

Considering how hard VZW is pushing V|Cast with Rhapsody, and the Tour is going to be a flagship smartphone for them, it's almost a certainty that it'll support Rhapsody.
    06-19-09 10:46 AM
    Another way to strip the DRM is to burn them to cd and click include text, then rip them back to MP3.

Boom, you own the songs for ever.
    06-19-09 03:22 PM
    Have to disagree with this one. DRM is Digital Rights Management and is a pretty generic term for hardware that supports restricted license music. The Blackberry Storm has DRM support, so do Windows Mobile devices and the vast majority of Verizon Wireless phones. That's how their VCast Music service that they used for years before partnering with Rhapsody worked.

The real question right now is whether the new generation of non-touch Blackberries will also have the hardware necessary for this. We know that the Pearl Fip 8230 from VZW doesn't support VCast Music with Rhapsody at launch, but to be honest, the Storm didn't either until the software update the day before it launched.

then I would like you to show me apple itunes drm songs running on a blackberry any of them...

because they don't work on my storm.. if I want the songs on my storm I have to burn them to cd then rip them back into itunes for them to play on the storm..
    06-19-09 03:34 PM
    OK first and foremost DRM is a universal thing used by several different companies at the moment. There are DAP (Digital Audio Players) that will support all different forms of DRM. Rhapsody and companies like it are a subscription based companies that offer MP3 for rent more or less. You pay a monthly fee and can rent all the mp3s you want. Once you quit paying, you quit having access to the music.

There are a couple of options to get around the DRM and some of them have been mentioned. I won't really go into the DRM stripping programs, because it is actually theft when you are talking about music from Rhapsody.

Option 1 - Use Slacker or Pandora. No downloads, all the music you want, customizable stations and the best part of all FREE!!

Option 2 - Buy from a company that sell mp3s DRM free and for a reasonable price. example: Mp3 Music Download - GoldenMp3.RU Tons of music, you own it, no drm, great sound quality and great prices. Lady Gaga's Album "The Fame" is on there at a 196 kbps. The entire album is $1.92 US and each song is $0.15 a piece. You can buy about 133 songs for $20.
    06-19-09 04:16 PM
    The OP can't burn Rhapsody songs to a cd and re-rip them. That's an iTunes trick. Like roeod said, removing the DRM from a rhapsody track is technically theft because you're not paying for the song, you're renting it.

Rhapsody DOES sell songs DRM free. You do NOT have to be a subscriber to download the Rhapsody program, if you aren't you'll just only be able to listen to 30 second clips ala iTunes.

Things may have changed, but last I checked the .RU MP3 sites DO NOT pay royalties to the artists, hence the incredibly low prices. That's crappier than illegally downloading the songs IMO because at least then you're not paying some jerks who snub the artists.

And I'm not sure if your av turns me on or creeps me out roeod...
    Last edited by Joel S.; 06-19-09 at 05:02 PM.
    06-19-09 05:00 PM
    the thing is I don't feel my method is stealing though..

I dont share my music and purchase it.. its just as expensive to purchase from itunes as I get a regular cd from wherever..

so whats the difference if I rip it to a cd then bring it back to itunes so I can play it on my bb...

now I have never had rhapsody so I have no clue how that works...

I just don't feel I should have to "buy" a specific player of some sort to play the music that I purchased for my use..
    06-19-09 07:21 PM
    Just don't download WMA files. Crhapsody has plenty of mp3's

06-19-09 07:55 PM
    First post... I figured I may as well throw out a suggestion/option as an ex-Rhapsody user.

Why not just download something like SoundTaxi? It'll strip the DRM (so you'll own the music forever - subscriber or not) and convert it to whatever file type you would like. I think it sells for $20 or $30, but can be had for much less.

BTW, Napster recently lowered their rate to $5/month (this is why I no longer subscribe to Rhapsody).

Sorry if I sound like a spammer...
    $5 napster thing is only for like 5 songs not really worth it imo. I'm tryin to avoid the illegal method but unless i can get a for sure form CX or something that it will I may have to go that route (bastards from rhapsody already billed me)
    06-19-09 08:57 PM
    Or you guys could learn how to use torrents and not have to pay for any music.
    06-19-09 09:08 PM
    The claim is that the .RU sites actually do pay royalties. The Russian copy right laws allow those royalties to be paid the same way and amount that an artist would get for radio airtime though. So the artist is not getting much, but is still getting $. Now I have no idea if all that is true or not, but it is what they claim and I have seen a posted portion of that copy right law (translated into English of course) and it basically reads that way. Since I am not Russian and don't own one of those sites I don't really know.

As for the av, the former is what I get most of my PMs about. Lol

06-19-09 09:12 PM
    $5 napster thing is only for like 5 songs not really worth it imo. I'm tryin to avoid the illegal method but unless i can get a for sure form CX or something that it will I may have to go that route (bastards from rhapsody already billed me)

I am sure the music industry is happy that your wanting to do it legal. I am as well happy.

Peoples work is peoples work and they deserve the money for what they make..

I do not feel using music for your personal use one you purchase it could be illegal.. now if you start sharing it all over the place thats a different story
    06-19-09 10:11 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD