My wife had a tour and dropped it last month and cracked the screen so she ended up taking my upgrade leaving me with my trusty ole curve 8330 that I've had for over two years now. (I was looking forward using my upgrade to get the new bold touch or the torch II if either was coming to Sprint).

I noticed that you can buy replacement LCD screens for these phones from $25 to $35 dollars and that there are some do-it-yourself videos on how to replace the screen which don't look impossible to do.

So, is it worth the money to try and fix this phone so I can retire my curve? Or is the jump from a curve to a tour not that big of a deal performance wise and hence not worth the money and time?

Thanks to all who answer...

Mark
    04-23-11 09:11 PM
    1). RIM do a trade-in for almost all "old" BlackBerrys and regardless of their condition the offer you $50 for them provided you buy a new BlackBerry somehow.

2). Trying to fix this yourself may cause more damage. Have a look at these guys http://www.pdarw.com/ and see if they will give you a price to remedy
    04-23-11 09:18 PM
    If you had insurance through sprint you could have possible got the bold. I think Arusion (spell check) the insurance company for the phones stop giving out replacement tours and gave out bolds because the tour was discontinued

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-11 03:28 PM
    It's not that hard to do. Watch several videos closely, go slowly and carefully. It might be a good time to get a colored housing, especially if you can get one with the screen cover already in it.
    04-24-11 03:39 PM
    Thanks everybody for your replies.

I've decided to try and fix it on my own, if I mess up, I'll be out about $35 dollars, if I'm successful, I'll have a tour which is a small step up from my curve.
    04-26-11 05:49 PM
    ive always been a fan of fixing these phones on my own. the parts dont cost much and its fairly easy to do.
    05-01-11 12:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD