Was there some exclusivity agreement with the bold and att? But I know they were behind on the 8330 curve also.

How can it possibly take them an entire product cycle longer to test? I guess they know their customers won't leave b/c they offer value in other areas. I guess its just not a priority for them

I of course know nothing about running a wireless company but my guess is that a greater focus on devices is going to matter soon as networks become more and more a commodity.
    07-01-09 01:24 AM
    When everyone goes to LTE there will still be exclusivity deals I'm sure.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-09 01:29 AM
    RIM has historically launched new generations of devices to GSM providers first - that's what they are most comfortable designing for. Since the Bold is a GSM device, and a 3G device, it went to AT&T. Not so much out of exclusivity, but because they're the only US provider with such a network.

As much as I'd love to say something bad about Verizon, they are launching the Tour before anyone else, it appears. They can't dictate when RIM decides to make a new CDMA device comparable to the Bold. This is when it's happening.
    07-01-09 01:48 AM
    I think you are forgetting that T-Mobile is also GSM.

As for Verizon Wireless taking longer to test and certify products before making them available to the public. Let me just say that for those of us responsible for engineering or maintaining large enterprise networks, we really do appreciate their effort!! I can typically integrate VZW blackberry and air cards into our environment faster than at&t and much faster than Sprint products

RIM has historically launched new generations of devices to GSM providers first - that's what they are most comfortable designing for. Since the Bold is a GSM device, and a 3G device, it went to AT&T. Not so much out of exclusivity, but because they're the only US provider with such a network.

As much as I'd love to say something bad about Verizon, they are launching the Tour before anyone else, it appears. They can't dictate when RIM decides to make a new CDMA device comparable to the Bold. This is when it's happening.
    07-01-09 02:06 AM
    Verizon for me is all about quality of there service compared to getting the latest phones, and thats what makes them the best.
    07-01-09 02:11 AM
    I think you are forgetting that T-Mobile is also GSM.

As for Verizon Wireless taking longer to test and certify products before making them available to the public. Let me just say that for those of us responsible for engineering or maintaining large enterprise networks, we really do appreciate their effort!! I can typically integrate VZW blackberry and air cards into our environment faster than at&t and much faster than Sprint products
    No, I'm fully aware that T-Mobile is GSM. I meant that AT&T has the only comprehensive GSM 3G network in the country. T-Mobile is still only 3G in what, 30 cities?
    07-01-09 02:18 AM
    When everyone goes to LTE there will still be exclusivity deals I'm sure.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    It will most likely even the playing field, as their won't be GSM vs CDMA any longer. You won't see exclusivity deals like that. I'm not sure where this means for Sprint though. WiMax is a very impressive technology, and a tri-mode headset is cool, but it doesn't change the fact that the majority of the world is making the switch to LTE.
    07-01-09 05:43 AM
    rim would be foolish to focus more effort on a market with 120m subscribers (vz +sprint) when they can target, oh say >800m gsm subscribers...

besides, having 250 "network" folks sitting in a small lab while you try to work must be a PITA...

Was there some exclusivity agreement with the bold and att? But I know they were behind on the 8330 curve also.

How can it possibly take them an entire product cycle longer to test? I guess they know their customers won't leave b/c they offer value in other areas. I guess its just not a priority for them

I of course know nothing about running a wireless company but my guess is that a greater focus on devices is going to matter soon as networks become more and more a commodity.
    07-01-09 06:58 AM
    This hasn't been the case recently. Verizon did get the storm, att the bold, tmobile the 8900, and sprint the 8350i. Looks like a pretty even distribution to me.

Talking about verizon though, they don't really do things like at&t. They don't let a cellphone run their network, they let the network run the types of cellphones released. While at&t continuously looks for exclusive contracts on new cellphones to help market to customers, verizon spends money on their cdma network and "allows" various cellphone companies to use it at a high premium. Neither way is wrong just a different way of doing business. Depends on what you're looking for.
    07-01-09 07:40 AM
    The main advantages the tour has over the 8330 are;
    Its faster
    It has more memory
    Higher resolution screen
    Its a world phone
    better camera

am i missing anything?

EDIT:
    Sorry, it seems i have mistaken this thread for one disusing the 9630... weird
    07-01-09 07:46 AM
    Why....because they are verizon wireless. Bid Red can do what its communist self wants! Verizon Wireless can go to ****.
    07-01-09 07:50 AM
    It's the network!
    07-01-09 07:52 AM
    Once LTE rolls out it will be a different ball game. All phones will work on all networks. Rim makes gsm phones first and foremost. They will make cdma eventually, but gsm is their main focus; as someone else said, many more people that way. Hopefully rim is already starting with lte. My real hope is that much like sprint can roam to other towers for free, all cell companies will do that once lte is rolled out. If that happens, coverage will go through the roof!
    07-01-09 07:59 AM
    Once LTE rolls out it will be a different ball game. All phones will work on all networks. Rim makes gsm phones first and foremost. They will make cdma eventually, but gsm is their main focus; as someone else said, many more people that way. Hopefully rim is already starting with lte. My real hope is that much like sprint can roam to other towers for free, all cell companies will do that once lte is rolled out. If that happens, coverage will go through the roof!
    Well Sprint is already going WiMax for their 4G network. As far as I know, only AT&T and VZW are implementing LTE for their respective 4G networks.
    07-01-09 08:52 AM
    i look at it like this.

CDMA carriers like Verizon have a clear edge when it comes to voice.

Its a mixed bag with data however. VZ coverage is probably blanketed better nationwide (prob due to vz commitment more than anything), but from everything I have gathered, GSM tech is the more universally recognized technology (till LTE), they are easier to design for, smaller in radio size (which is why they can add "the works" to their phones), they are the global standard, can do data/voice together, and can max out at faster data speeds than EVDO.

I think all those factors affect why it takes so long for a CDMA carrier to get a new device. Its all a tradeoff in the end.

I did a lot of thinking because I was one that was and still always am considering on switching to AT&T. For me, it comes down to voice being more important than data. Add wifi and they'll have me for 2 more years till LTE roles out. So for me its storm 2 despite me hating on screen typing on "any" device.

Either way, it hasn't been as badly delayed as it once was so thats good.
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 07-01-09 at 08:59 AM.
    07-01-09 08:57 AM
    Well Sprint is already going WiMax for their 4G network. As far as I know, only AT&T and VZW are implementing LTE for their respective 4G networks.
    yes this is true, but at&t is pretty large. would have been nice if sprint would have gone lte. most carriers have signed on to lte. maybe sprint will recognize their mistake and switch over to lte.
    07-01-09 09:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD