I'm in Montana and limited to only Verizon, Cell-one, or Alltel.
    So why would I get the Tour(Verizon) over the 8900(Cell-one)?
    Any help much appreciated.
    06-18-09 01:26 PM
    Um Verizon doesn't carry the 8900. Thats a pretty good reason!
    06-18-09 01:30 PM
    Not an expert on either phone, but the first question would really be which provider has better coverage. The phones are both amazing and the differences are subtle. But the ability to actually use your phone is the most important thing. Assuming both carriers are essentially equal, then i prefer the Tour since it has a better keyboard (similar to the bold's which is arguably the best keyboard made by RIM). The tour is also slightly wider, taller and heavier. Lastly I believe the 8900 has WiFi and the Tour is a World Phone meaning it's both CDMA and GSM. Check out blackberry.com and I believe you can compare the two in more detail. As I mentioned I'm not an expert so if anyone has better information, please correct me.
    06-18-09 01:31 PM
    You may like the form factor of the 8900 (slightly smaller, slightly different keyboard) better than the Tour. If you don't care about that, then I have seen reports that the Tour has a better speaker phone and microphone.

The big differences are, the 8900 has wifi, the tour has 3G world roaming capabilities. Also the Tour supports evdo rev A (3g), where as the 8900 only does edge (2.5g).

If you want a wifi blackberry and 3g, go for the bold, although the bold's camera is not as good as the one on either the 8900 or the Tour. You could always wait for the onyx, which will have wifi, 3g, and a nice camera. From your original post, it looks like the bold and onyx may not be available to you.
    Last edited by codemaker; 06-18-09 at 01:41 PM.
    06-18-09 01:39 PM
    Ya, I wouldn't mind dropping Verizon though. Even though they have the "big network" and all, its seems they like to stay a solid year behind in phone technology.
    06-18-09 01:49 PM
    Lmao this^...thread OVER!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-09 01:52 PM
    The Tour has 3G. That should be enough. The 8900 is a joke...it's 2009 and it does not have 3G. Wifi, yeah, but come on...3G should be by default. You also get a better keyboard with the Tour.
    06-18-09 01:53 PM
    Lmao this^...thread OVER!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    What? The OP clearly stated that he is willing to go to other carriers if necessary.
    06-18-09 01:54 PM
    If coverage is not an issue.

Tour:

Better keyboard.

Nicer size.

Better OS.

3G

8900:

WiFi
    06-18-09 01:55 PM
    if you get good service where your at with the 8900 and its provider, then go with that. verizon is the best where i am, and the tour is looking like an awesome device.

carrier over handsets, always. what good is the latest tech if you don't have a signal or the speed you want/need?
    06-18-09 01:55 PM
    The Tour has 3G. That should be enough. The 8900 is a joke...it's 2009 and it does not have 3G. Wifi, yeah, but come on...3G should be by default. You also get a better keyboard with the Tour.
    3G is a good point. But unfortunately up here in BFE none of networks are up to 3G yet, not even the the big V. By the time we get 3G, 4G will be the standard and there will certainly be newer cooler phones to discuss.

WiFi would be cool when I travel, if Skype really works? Other than that I think the 8900 feels great, size, keyboard ect.. I'm afraid the tour might be a little to big?? haven't held one yet.
    06-18-09 02:02 PM
    3G is a good point. But unfortunately up here in BFE none of networks are up to 3G yet, not even the the big V. By the time we get 3G, 4G will be the standard and there will certainly be newer cooler phones to discuss.

WiFi would be cool when I travel, if Skype really works? Other than that I think the 8900 feels great, size, keyboard ect.. I'm afraid the tour might be a little to big?? haven't held one yet.

by the way to add to your post..

3g makes battery drain faster.. some people rather just use the edge data speeds and have a longer battery life...

edge is perfectly fine for email just sucks really bad for surfing the internet.. or streaming radio
    06-18-09 04:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD