I am looking at getting the tour when it comes out on verizon. I see that its called a world phone. What does world phone mean and can I use it the same as my Centro.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-09 05:08 PM
    you can put a sim card from another country (or the united states if the phone is unlocked, as i've heard some storms have become) and use the phone on GSM/GPRS/EDGE services in that country, so you don't need to purchase a new phone when traveling abroad.
    06-29-09 05:11 PM
    so I can just buy the phone and use it out of the box like normal with no additional verizon fees besides the BB service?

Last edited by kwnd623; 06-29-09 at 05:17 PM.
    06-29-09 05:15 PM
    no, you're going to need to upgrade to a blackberry data plan, as you can't get a blackberry without one.

do you currently have a data or text plan on your phone?
    i believe the unlimited text/data plan for BBs are 54.99 a month, and if you already have texting on a non data plan the price only goes up by about 30 a month.
    06-29-09 05:17 PM
    Yea I have the data plan on my Centro.

06-29-09 05:18 PM
    then i don't believe it should be more then an additional 30 bucks a month.. but you might want to wait for someone to clarify that or check verizons site. how much do you pay for the centros data plan monthly? if it's 30, then i don't think it'll be a different price, but you will need to change the plan by calling/talking to verizon.
    06-29-09 05:22 PM
    I think I pay 30 now

06-29-09 05:23 PM
    can anyone with a palm centro + data plan explain the transition if they already know?
    06-29-09 05:24 PM
    so this will work with tmobile or att if unlocked and the right sb are inputed to the device
    06-29-09 05:26 PM
    For me it seems that palm is moving on to the webos. Things that get me is that the software used to bluetooth music to my bluetooth headphones doesn't work the best because the Centro wasn't built for it IE likes to lock up. Plus I'm a phone freak and like new toys.

06-29-09 05:28 PM
    If you're currently on the $30 data plan with your Centro, you won't have to pay more -- but you will have to switch from the Verizon Smartphone data plan to BlackBerry Internet Service, which costs the same but is a separate and distinct plan (since RIM routes BlackBerry data through its own servers).
    06-29-09 05:33 PM
    so this will work with tmobile or att if unlocked and the right sb are inputed to the device
    06-29-09 05:34 PM
    AFAIK the BB data is the same price as the data for other phones.
    06-29-09 05:35 PM
    Yea I figured it would be a different service. I was just worried this being a "world phone" was gonna make additional costs outside the BB data plan, phone service, and text plan.

06-29-09 05:35 PM
    In case it hasn't been specifically noted (on this thread), unlocking only requires calling Verizon (after a couple of weeks if you're a customer in good standing) and asking for the unlock procedure/code. The code is unique for each device.

You can also pay $10, $15, or $30 to a third party once they get the codes.
    06-29-09 05:36 PM
    Yea I figured it would be a different service. I was just worried this being a "world phone" was gonna make additional costs outside the BB data plan, phone service, and text plan.

Nope, not unless you leave the country and want to continue using your phone.
    06-29-09 05:37 PM
    Perfect thanks guys

06-29-09 05:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD