I was one of the thousands standing in line to get one of the first Tours...and then one of the many standing in line to return it 48 hours later (literally...there were several of us returning the Tour). My biggest issues were sounding low and muffled to people I was talking with, and it didn't work with my car hands-free system, plus the trackball and battery cover issues.

Have we yet reached the point where the hardware (trackball & battery cover) are fixed with units being sold now? And more importantly, can anyone confirm the .53 OS update fixes the low and muffled sound to callers?

I would much rather have the Tour than the Storm 2, but if the Tour is never really going to be completely fixed (as the Storm 1 never was)...I'll settle for the Storm 2, which is at least second generation. Thanks.
    Last edited by LarryMcJ; 09-18-09 at 07:27 PM.
    09-18-09 06:47 PM
    I never even knew about any of those, but I just bought mine 3 days ago and have had no problem with the battery door (although it is in a case) and the speaker sounds exceptionally good. Actually I was just today comparing it to one of my friends speakers and talking about how much better my speaker sounded lol.
    09-18-09 07:11 PM
    I never even knew about any of those, but I just bought mine 3 days ago and have had no problem with the battery door (although it is in a case) and the speaker sounds exceptionally good. Actually I was just today comparing it to one of my friends speakers and talking about how much better my speaker sounded lol.
    I'm not referring to the speaker volume. There are literally thousands of messages in this forum complaining that when you are talking to someone on the Tour...that persons hears you very weak and muffled. Every person I talked with when I had the Tour told me to take it back...that I sounded terrible.

The trackball is probably the biggest issue complained about on this forum, and the batter cover is merely an issue of a slightly loose fit.
    09-18-09 07:14 PM
    I went through a similar process. Bought the tour the first day it came out, brought it back about a month later. Verizon gave me a brand new unit. Most of the problems are clearly resolved - battery door is snug, no trackball issues at all, no issues with speaker volume, and all calls are clear. I'm still having the bluetooth problem though. I hope the new software fix addresses this issue (which is REAL annoying).
    09-18-09 07:24 PM
    I just bought the Tour today. Absolutely no problems! I love it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-09 07:47 PM
    My Tour is 18 days old. So far so good. No signs of needing replaced.

09-18-09 07:51 PM
    3 days with mine, all good. I'm with Bell Canada

09-18-09 08:00 PM
    I just got one today and it works perfect. Hope it stays that way.
    09-18-09 08:12 PM
    there are no problems with the new Tours
    09-18-09 09:22 PM
    I just had a major failure with my launch day Tour.(OS crash and black screen of death) VZW sent a replacement and I've been using it for 2 days now.......it is absolutely perfect. Just holding it in my hands I could tell right away that it was much "tighter" - battery door, key board feels better, headphone jack works perfectly with all my headphones, trackball is perfect, you will def have to pry this one out of my hands

09-18-09 09:41 PM
    Had my Tour for a week. No issues. LOVE IT

09-18-09 09:46 PM
    I'm on my forth and am starting to have software problems.I did check out the HTC TP2 but I've had the TP and hated it. The main problem is everyone is trying to get an Iphone in one way or another looking for cheap subsotitous and are pissed when they all come up short.
    09-18-09 10:46 PM
    I was one of the thousands standing in line to get one of the first Tours...and then one of the many standing in line to return it 48 hours later (literally...there were several of us returning the Tour). My biggest issues were sounding low and muffled to people I was talking with, and it didn't work with my car hands-free system, plus the trackball and battery cover issues.

Have we yet reached the point where the hardware (trackball & battery cover) are fixed with units being sold now? And more importantly, can anyone confirm the .53 OS update fixes the low and muffled sound to callers?

I would much rather have the Tour than the Storm 2, but if the Tour is never really going to be completely fixed (as the Storm 1 never was)...I'll settle for the Storm 2, which is at least second generation. Thanks.
    In my opinion the early adopters are always the guinea pigs that have to *ahem beta test. If you want a safe product where most of the reported issues are resolved then you'll more than likely have to wait a few months after launch.

With that being said, products nowadays aren't exactly exempt from defects or poor build quality.
    09-18-09 10:51 PM
    I'm on my forth and am starting to have software problems.I did check out the HTC TP2 but I've had the TP and hated it. The main problem is everyone is trying to get an Iphone in one way or another looking for cheap subsotitous and are pissed when they all come up short.
    if your having software problems.. update ur OS... the official update came out yesterday for Verizon
    09-19-09 08:03 AM
    I bought my Tour (green dot if it matters) on 9/3 and it had a build date of 8/20 Mexico. It has been perfect since day one. I know I have not had it too long, but I am hoping that if there were trackball issues they would have shown up by now.

09-19-09 08:52 AM
    I am hoping that if there were trackball issues they would have shown up by now.
    You are safe.

Most of the issues show themselves right away.
    09-19-09 09:08 AM
    had my original replace last week, with a build date of 8/28/09. it is functioning great! Idk know abt OS updates yet.
    09-19-09 11:03 AM
    Just got my Tour on Monday and am having problems - mainly the muffled voice, which is a real pain in the ***, but also some dropped calls and some temporary OS freezing. Am considering returning it and am very upset to hear that the voice issue is so common. My friend has a bold and raves about it - since this is basically the bold w/no wi-fi, and since verizon has the best netowrk, I thought 'what could go wrong'? This is a pain in the *** and I do not want to deal with going back and forth to get a device that works. Seeing as most of RIM's customers are corporate professional types I am sure many share this feeling.
    09-19-09 05:27 PM
    my tour works great ive had it for 2 months now.
    09-19-09 05:36 PM
    I returned my original one today for the trackball issue. This first one, which had a build date of early July, started off alright then I had to switch the horizontal setting to 80 and then to 90. The final straw came last night when I TRIED to play word mole and the TB was awful. I'm about two weeks past the 30 days but the VZW store replaced it no questions asked. In fact they didn't even test the phone themselves, just threw it it the old box and gave me a new one. This one is a green dot and has a build date of 8-26-09 at Mexico 5.

So far it feels completely different than my first one did when it was brand new. The trackball works great on 70 and has a different feel and the phone it self feels tighter (including the battery door) and of better quality. I just hope it stays this good.

The only part that sucks is my first one had a hybrid prl that made the signal perfect now I have to wait on another one to be pushed.

09-19-09 06:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD