i made this thread because when i logged into my sprint account, it tells me that i'm eligible for the $150 upgrade in June (why its there now 8 months in advance I dont know) but anyways if i were to upgrade i'd be with blackberry. so this got me thinking...whats everyone's story? how did you all come to blackberry phones? me? well my first was a pearl (i do miss the lighting up trackball when you receive a call) and this was when both my husband and i were stationed in germany. though the phone was pre-paid i loved that phone. never had any complaints on that phone. my husband had it too but he accidentally broke it when had it in his pocket and closed the car door on it...ouch! anyways after leaving germany i went to at&t and sadly got the iphone...what a crappy phone. i stayed with at&t and got rid of the iphone for the blackberry curve 8330. again wonderful phone no issues. the issues was at&t. so i left at&t for sprint and had a wide variety of phones...trying to find a phone that fit me. so i had the palm centro in pink, then the HTC touch pro (HORRIBLE PHONE), then the samsung exclaim (cute phone but i really didn't connect with it lol) and then i came to my tour. yes people i have left and cheated on my faithful blackberry time and time again and he always welcomes me back with open arms lol. but i have really learned my lesson. when its time for my upgrade i'll be sticking with my blackberry lol
    10-17-09 09:19 PM
    Same reason you see Christmas stuff out at the end of august now?
    10-17-09 09:31 PM
    Well I had a Sidekick and my brother had a 8830 and everytime I used his phone I was like WOW, wish my Sidekick could be like that lol. My screen had broken on my Sidekick About 2 weeks after the tour came out. I left T-mobile and hopped on the Family plan (sprint) & got myself a Tour, don't think I;ll be using any other type of phones after this lol.
    10-17-09 10:11 PM
    I began my Blackberry journey earlier this year when I swapped my son in law my HTC Touch for his BB Pearl He felt so bad-like I was getting the bad end of the deal! I never looked back! As soon as I was eligible for an upgrade, I got a Curve. Then I found out the Tour was coming to Alltel so I took the Curve back and went back to the Pearl---can you say torture? I waited an agonizing 2 weeks for the Tour and purchased it on the release date. I am a Crackberry and can't see this changing!!
    10-17-09 10:52 PM
    i know...i dont know what made me leave blackberry to begin with...i never had a problem with any of my blackberries
    10-17-09 11:03 PM
    I'll warn you in advance that my story will make me sound like an obnoxious brat, but I am really not, I don't normally do this sort of thing

I'm normally a very nice, calm person, but when I get legitimately angry (and it takes a LOT to **** me off) - I pretty much tell everyone around me to go far away, and then I start breaking things. And my poor iPhone ended up being the target of my rage... I smashed the crap out of it with my steel toed 7 lb combat boots (Mind you, I did get the iPhone for free from my old employer).

After being phoneless for a few days, I pretty much realized that I had absolutely NO reason other than its attractiveness and the fact that I'd gotten it free to own an iPhone - I don't play that many games on my phone, most of the Apps that the Blackberry lacks are useless anyway, and the touch screen is nice (and significantly better than the Storm's), but not necessary for me (and also far too delicate).

I then found out that my mother had still been paying for two phones on the old family plan we had before I used my iPhone, and she agreed that if I worked on my temper and bought my new phone, I could go back on my family plan. I did a bit of research, went to the Verizon store to test out phones, and pretty much fell head over heels for the tour, So, yeah, here I am. Ha.
    10-18-09 02:31 AM
    I've had "dumb" phones pretty much my entire life. My wife and I switched to Verizon about a year and a half ago. My first phone was an eNv (not a bad text messaging phone). I followed with a Voyager after adding our girls to the family plan a few months later. Then winter of 2008 came around and I got caught up in the hype of the Storm. My Voyager had been giving me all types of problems (it was a nightmare. I went through like 5 Voyagers). Verizon offered me an early upgrade and a discount on the Storm which I had been salivating to get anyways. I knew nothing about Blackberrys and virtually nothing about smart phones but the Storm intrigued me. I got the Storm and I quickly had to learn all about blackberrys while dealing with the many problems of the Storm. I didn't give up. I grew to love blackberrys even while dealing with the Storm issues. I'm at a stage in my life where I am very busy with my family and other ventures so the smart phone is the ticket for me! I ditched the Storm for the Tour when it came out and am absolutely digging the functionality!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-09 06:07 AM
    I was supposed to be kicked off my parents Verizon plan come December which is when their 2 year contract expires. I had been using an old LG fliphone (the VX8350 or something like that) and really it didn't bring me any harm. It did everything I needed it to: make calls and allowed me to text. I was never really big into anything too flashy that did a bunch of things I didn't need (read: iPhone), but in the middle of September after some heavy binge drinking for my buddy's engagement party (I was asked to be best man) I tried to text one handed and ******* (wow I used the medical term and it still starred it out? I was taking a leak!) with the other. Long story short I dropped phone in the toilet and it stopped working after a few hours.

Sooooooooo I figured since it was so close to the time to get off my parents plan anyway I might as well just go ahead and get on my own, so I went out to Verizon after researching a bunch of phones on phonescoop and set up my own plan. It had come down between the HTC Ozone and the Tour (wasn't sure about either one since I have huge hands and didn't know how the typing would work out), and the [hot] saleswoman said "oh Tour for sure." So I got hooked up, and I've never looked back.

And damn this phone really opened my eyes about just being more than making phone calls and texting !

Moral: Don't try to multitask with one hand and use your phone in the other... it generally doesn't work out well for the phone
    10-18-09 06:34 AM
    See my signature for my story. The thing that keeps me coming back to BlackBerry phones is the battery life (good for smartphones), great email integration, solid reception and relative stability (not including the first Storm phones). In the end, BBs just work. With that said, the operating system is relatively old and needs a complete refresh to keep up with the competition. In fact, that is precisely what keeps me checking out other phones with difference operating systems. The BB OS in my opinion is flat out boring. Still they work, and the stability of BBs is what keeps me coming back.
    10-18-09 06:51 AM
    A few friends at work had the 8830 and I really liked what they were doing on their phones. I was a little short of the "upgrade" so I waited a few months and got my own 8830 last November. There was only one major problem with my 8830, I had to pull the battery VERY often, more then once a day. I delt with this for about 8 months and then my wife got the Tour and she never had to do a battery pull. After hours on the phone with tech support they sent me a new 8830, it ended up being worse then the first one. Went to the store and got another 8830 and it too was awfull. Went back to store and had the same person help me and I left with the Tour, 13 months early on my upgrade. It has only been a couple of days but I have not had to pull my battery once and now we have his and hers Tours.....
    10-18-09 10:12 AM
    In 2003, through work, I started with a 6510. Black and white screen. 2-way radio. Next was a 7100i. 7250. 8703. 8300. 8350i. 8830 World Edition. Finally, the 9630 Tour.

Some were through work while others were personal. Actually, they were all personal, but work paid for a couple and gave me a separate phone number from my personal.

That's 8 different BlackBerry's in almost 7 years.
    10-18-09 10:36 AM
    I had a Treo 650 a few years ago, and back when no one had a blackberry, I got the Curve when that was first out. Now, everyone has one!
    10-18-09 10:37 AM
    My reasons are quite simple: I like them gadgets! I don't necessarily have to OWN all gadgets that get me all twinkly-eyed, but BBerries have always been calling to me.

I changed from T-Mobile to Verizon (for better/wider coverage areas) and saw that as an opportunity to get the phone I've always wanted (Tour), and I wouldn't change a damn thing (well, except maybe that whole trackball problem thing...what a pain in the tukus).

10-18-09 01:01 PM
    In the end, BBs just work.
    That is a perfect summary. I have two phones right now, a Curve 8310 and an HTC Fuze. On paper the Fuze is a totally superior phone to the Curve. VGA touchscreen, slider form factor, 3G, WiFi, tons more RAM, accelerometer, and an awesome cooked ROM that makes the phone very useable. Yet, as a daily driver, I choose the Curve. I love the Fuze, it is very fun and is my "play" phone, but the Curve gets down to business. Everything runs perfectly (except for the memory leaks) and is well integrated.

Next month my employer is changing providers to Sprint, and I have to choose a new phone. I was given the choice of a Tour, Touch Pro 2, or Pre. As much as I enjoy tweaking Windows Mobile, the choice was pretty easy. I can't wait to get the Tour! I can still play with my Fuze, I'll just have to use it with WiFi.

My smartphone journey: Pearl 8100, AT&T Tilt, Curve 8310, HTC Fuze, (coming soon) Tour 9630.
    Last edited by captobie; 10-18-09 at 08:41 PM.
    10-18-09 05:07 PM
    I was never big into phones for most of my high school and college career and always had free or "boring" phones (I actually didn't get my first cell phone until college). Then I got a LG Voyager back in '08 and loved it for some time(my first foray into a "smart phone" have you). However, as I got close to my new every 2 I became more intrigued by the Blackberry brand (especially since I saw a lot of people with them at work or on my commute to work). Needless to say, I got the Tour as my first Blackberry device in July and have been in love with it ever since!

10-18-09 06:01 PM
    I smashed the crap out of it with my steel toed 7 lb combat boots
    Steel toe and 7lbs do not go with combat boots. No such thing.
    10-18-09 06:19 PM
    I never had a blackberry before the tour I have now, I had a samsung SCHa910 which was a basic flip phone, at that time, all i needed was something that made phone calls. that was about 4 years ago. I then got an LG dare about a year ago, when i needed a new phone. I wanted something that could do it all, without paying an arm and a leg for it. I loved my dare. then it was stolen last week. So, I went to the verizon store and was playing around with the tour and fell in love with it. I refuse to leave verizon wireless for an iPhone, as much as i might like the phone. verizon's service is fantastic. I refuse to get spotty coverage(AT&T) for a cool phone. the trade off doesn't seem logical. anyway... I love the tour, and I know I have only had it for a week, but i don't see myself owning another phone other than a blackberry for a while. unless, verizon does get an iphone. even then, after seeing all the tour does, i don't know if i will get an iphone right away, or at all.
    10-18-09 06:33 PM
    I think the 7lbs was an exaggeration...

When I got a phone from AT&T a bazillion years ago (exag? :-P) i had free texting....or at least they didn't charge me for it. I would send texts to email, etc, and pretty soon, I got tired of the obnoxious flip phone & went in to get a grown folks phone.

I got this brand because there were few companies that had a full QWERTY on the face front panel, and I stayed because of the email push feature.

All the forays into internet radio, IM, picture sharing, 3.2MB digital camera, 1.5hr videos...all that can be credited to those darned TWIST, TURN, FLIP, 333, 88, 222, 55, 444, 66, 4 phones.
    10-19-09 03:07 PM
    My first phone was a samsung flip phone about 6 yrs ago. After that I decided to get a smartphone and I stuck with samsung and I got the i760 when it first came out. It was a love/hate relationship, mainly because it was a windows mobile phone, and it would freeze and crash often. But I did like its functionality and organization. So finally I looked into blackberries, and I was hooked on the tour when I first found out about it. (I knew about the Bold, but I didn't want to leave verizon for ATT). So i waited about 8 months before I finally got my upgrade, which coincidentally, was only three days after the tour came out. It was destiny (yea i know its sounds dumb)
    10-19-09 05:29 PM
    It was destiny (yea i know its sounds dumb)
    "Embrace your destiny."--Dalai Lama

"Embrace the Tour."--Lance Armstrong

"Question not the power of the force."--Yoda
    10-19-09 06:47 PM
    Started with a Pearl, just got a Tour. Been a BlackBerry user for about 3 years now. I will never own anything ever again but a BlackBerry.

"Once you go black, you'll never go back".
    10-19-09 09:07 PM
    Last October I flipped for the LG Lotus because of the QWERTY keyboard and the flip factor. Had to have it replaced 3 times because of bugs and whatnot. Then my sister and bro-in-law both got BB Curves. Didn't like the small keys though. When the Tour came out, it was love at first sight!
    10-19-09 09:32 PM
    ... all began when I had an LG Voyager. My LG Voyager, she was a pretty gal but she was getting outdated. Her buggy OS and lack of features made me want more. I told her that I didn't think our relationship was working out and that I wanted more. She said she could give me more, but i'd have to pay extra.. I didn't want what she could give me. I saw those sexy new BlackBerry's and their unlocked GPS navigation, PANDORA capabilities and better browser. I drooled and started researching more and more. That's when i found out about CrackBerry.com and got addicted. I learned about the BlackBerry Tour and to my surprise it was to launch on Verizon! I was not patient in waiting for the release. When the day came, i told my LG Voyager that I had the perfect companion for her (my sister). I took my shiny new BlackBerry Tour and walked out of the store happy and alive again! I no longer envy those iPhone owners because my network and my phone work when/where and how I need them to..

But it wont be long before her sister (the essex) comes into the picture.. I don't want to cheat on her for her sister, but i might just have to!

aha.. i wanted to be funny. i tried. =D
    10-19-09 09:43 PM
    Mine started 3 years ago when I started my own business. I got the Pearl (hated it, had to have it replaced 4 times in a month and a half for several different reasons). I got rid of it then started missing certain things it had that other phones didn't despite the fact there were so many things wrong with it. Then I got the Curve and it's been all good from there. Curve to Storm back to Curve now to the Tour. I don't think I'll ever leave BB again. I'm too huge an advocate for BB I got most people I know hooked.
    10-20-09 12:56 AM
    I go way back to 1998. I first learned of Blackberry when I worked for a company that sold pagers, it was called PageNet. they had me carry 2 pagers, a Motorola for customer pages, and a Blackberry 850 for e-mails and what was simply called PIN Messaging at that point. It was the first time I was introduced to 2 way messaging, nobody else had heard of this, and the only ones I could text were my co-workers....it took awhile for this to catch on.

When I left that company I stayed in Tech Sales. I remember we worked with a vendor that was pushing hard for these on my company's Enterprise, they were selling it as an extension of Outlook as it would synch wirelessly between our workstations and our devices for Calendar, Contacts, and Emails. My Boss wouldn't bite. I loved that little 850 so much though I ended up getting a ridiculous device RIM put out with AOL so I could IM friends

Then the Palms started getting released, I fell on that bandwagon for a while as I liked that you could load different applications on those and use them. I was jumping from Palm to Sony Clies, and moving up from one Clie to the next. I always had a dumb phone and a PDA and wished these companies would get it right so I could enjoy the best of 2 worlds. Treos came out, but they were ridiculously priced, my company moved to Nextel, and after 2 dumbphones, Blackberry released the 7520.

That sucker was JUST what the doctor ordered, PDA plus phone, best speaker on a wireless I ever had, Walky Talky, everything I needed but a good network I had that phone for 2 years dropped it on its face 10 times. It took a beating and kept on going. The boss went to Verizon as we needed a better network....I went back to Treo as I thought it would be better than the Blackberry.....was I ever wrong. Unlike Blackberry.....it just DIDNT work, too many crashes and poor signal.....Verizon gaciously agreed to let me trade it in for a Blackberry 8830, and I never looked at another phone company since.

The only thing the 8830 was missing was a Camera....and along came the Curve which I quickly jumped all over. Great phone...."It just worked" But the Storm came out and I had to have the latest and greatest....so I jumped in, and after an almost identicle experience with the Storm as I had with the Treo, Verizon released the Tour and as graciously as before....allowe me to exchange the Storm for the Tour. I've had a few bumps with the Tour, but after Verizon helped me finally get the Trackball issue taken care of (2 exchanges later) I couldn't be happier with it. Its quick, looks great, solid, and does what I need it to do.

It looks like Verizon will be releasing some new devices soon.....Storm 2, Palm Pre, Droid, and possibly iPhone at some point. The jury is out if these devices will make me look their direction....being the good gadget geek that I am....I always have to look....time will tell, but thus far, although the OS is growing a little old, 5.0 is just round the corner and I am curious what these companies will be doing to compete with each other. Sorry for the book....but enjoyed having me look back at my own little tech world since my Pagenet days
    10-20-09 08:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD