I'm finally getting a Blackberry Tour tomorrow, and I'm curious what I should look for to make sure my device doesn't have common problems. So far, all I know about are:

-Sticky trackballs (stop thinking dirty)
    -Screen ripple (what is this, anyway)
    -Loose battery door (I planned on buying a Coveroo, anyone who had a loose battery door and put one of those on feel that it fixed the problem?

Anything else I'm forgetting to look for? I've learned to be very particular with new devices after buying the Storm.

Thanks for the help.
    08-06-09 05:57 PM
    Look for anything that would bother you that would be a manufacturing or hardware defect. It's kind of hard to tell you everything you should look for. What you might consider a defect I would not. Some people seem to want a 100% perfect device with not a fleck of dust on it while others are happy with the minor issues.

The important question to ask yourself is, "Am *I* happy with this device and the way it operates / looks / feels / etc?"

Screen ripple is when you press the trackball or the keys to the left and right of the trackball and your screen "ripples". It can also happen when you press the sides of the device. It'll look literally like water ripples on the edge of your screen.
    08-06-09 06:02 PM
    for the screen ripple when you push the buttons look for a distorted color on the corner of your lower screens like you would press on your laptop screen and you see the pressure you put on it. Mine does it not bad cant really tell that much. Coveroos expensive i just have a case on and i cant tell which i would think most of us have cases either way. Should be great though you will enjoy
    08-06-09 06:04 PM
    Good luck!
    08-06-09 06:08 PM
    Call someone with the phone and make sure that they do not hear a muffled voice.

There have also been problems with the headphone jack so try the one in the package and maybe bring your own.
    08-06-09 07:55 PM
    Yes, if you are going to use headphones, take them with you and try them in the Tour. I've found some work and some don't.

Also, take the battery cover off and put it back on (or have the Rep do it). This will reveal if the back is going to 'loosen' up on ya. Check for vertical / horizontal slip and see if a gap appears between the cover and the body underneath the Z key.
    08-06-09 10:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD