Since The Official 5.0 OS Came Out, I Would Like To Know What Happened To The Standby Button ? ....
    03-01-10 07:12 AM
    Its no only used for muting the device. If you look at the icon on the button itself, that's what its really supposed to have been all along. Lol. The left button is a lock but not a password lock (with .484 for the tour). Its not a "bug" like many have said, but a change that RIM has implemented.
    03-01-10 07:18 AM
    The standby function and keyboard lock function are now THE SAME THING with OS 5.0

Many people don't seem to know this fact. But as everyone already knows, the mute button that used to put the phone in standby mode is now only used for mute capabilities. BUT the standby function is now integrated with the keyboard lock, so anytime you lock your phone it also puts it in standby now. The way I know this is by going into the phone's event log (press "shift+LGLG" on your phone to bring up the log). When you go into the event log shortly after putting your phone in and out of lock mode you will see that the event log records this event as "a StandbyManager - Entered/Disabling Standby Mode" in the log. This is conclusive evidence that keyboard lock and standby mode are now the same on the 5.0 OS.
    03-01-10 01:39 PM
    Quick question about the lock feature (I'm assuming you mean pressing the lock button on the top left). On the old OS's, this would lock the phone and require you to put in your password. Is this still the case? Or does it function like the standby used to where it would just lock the keyboard, and you could unlock it without your password? I am waiting for the official Verizon release, but I'm guessing it'll probably have similar functionality.
    03-01-10 02:36 PM
    Quick question about the lock feature (I'm assuming you mean pressing the lock button on the top left). On the old OS's, this would lock the phone and require you to put in your password. Is this still the case? Or does it function like the standby used to where it would just lock the keyboard, and you could unlock it without your password? I am waiting for the official Verizon release, but I'm guessing it'll probably have similar functionality.
    Well, using the Sprint build (.484) it does not bring up a full password lock. It is basically just the standby mode and keyboard lock. In order to go into a password lock, you actually have to click the password lock icon.
    03-01-10 02:54 PM
    Thanks for the info.
    03-01-10 03:56 PM
    The problem for some of us is that we don't want the inconvenience of the keyboard lock or rather the UNlock (* plus Green phone key) but don't want the BB dialing in our pockets. Standby closed up the keyboard but only required a press of the MUTE button to bring the BB to life. The Mute button being easier to find than the small * and then the Green phone.

But then again, I'm still miffed that they removed the ability to adjust the screen's brightness with the "lock" button which was a feature on my 8830.
    03-01-10 06:40 PM
    The problem for some of us is that we don't want the inconvenience of the keyboard lock or rather the UNlock (* plus Green phone key) but don't want the BB dialing in our pockets. Standby closed up the keyboard but only required a press of the MUTE button to bring the BB to life. The Mute button being easier to find than the small * and then the Green phone.

But then again, I'm still miffed that they removed the ability to adjust the screen's brightness with the "lock" button which was a feature on my 8830.
    You don't have to press the phone key and the star. Just press the lock button again.
    03-05-10 05:39 PM
    I'm still in the dark ages with my Tour, using 4.7.1.57 OS (sprint) and I kinda like the mute button putting the phone into stand by mode and having a separate lock button. It keeps the side convenience buttons free. I have my security settings set to time out and lock the phone in 5 minutes, so when I put it into stand by, it will lock on its own. Not so sure that I want the lock and stand by in one button, since I might figure out that I need to use my phone right after I put it into stand by. Taking that extra 2.3 seconds to enter my security code, that's just crazy lol. And I really can't remember the last time that I needed to mute a call....or does it mute all sounds?

Either way, I love my Tour.
    03-05-10 10:06 PM
    I don't know if MUTE will turn off ALL sounds (like alerts) but it will MUTE the media player.
    03-05-10 10:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD