I have a small little icon on the top right of my screen that looks like a cross hair with three crescent shaped moons on the right side of it. I can't remember what it is and if I need to turn it off. Thanks!
    08-04-09 08:12 PM
    GPS on/off

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-09 08:14 PM
    crosshair alone means gps on emergency only, with the crescents means gps is on all the time.
    08-04-09 08:16 PM
    Thanks I thought it was something like that. Should I leave it on or turn it off? The only mapping I use every so often is Google Maps. Thanks again.
    08-04-09 08:17 PM
    Will it drain battery if it is on all the time?
    08-04-09 08:19 PM
    Thanks I thought it was something like that. Should I leave it on or turn it off? The only mapping I use every so often is Google Maps. Thanks again.
    I leave it on emergency only. It saves battery life and you can always switch it on if you need to utilize it.
    08-04-09 08:20 PM
    Will it drain battery if it is on all the time?
    And yes it can be a drain on your battery.
    08-04-09 08:21 PM
    Thank you!
    08-04-09 08:23 PM
    Thank you!
    NP. Some people say having the GPS always on can really drain the battery life alot but I never leave it on completely anyway.
    08-04-09 08:28 PM
    How does it drain on your bettery having it on unless you were using an App that uses the GPS?
    08-04-09 08:31 PM
    How does it drain on your bettery having it on unless you were using an App that uses the GPS?
    I am not to sure. It's just what I have read here. I just don't feel the need to have it on unless I am going to use it...
    08-04-09 08:38 PM
    I leave mine on all the time... Have to charge it everynite but I thought because I use the web...
    08-04-09 08:42 PM
    It does not drain your battery. it allows the OS to let applications access the GPS chip and acquire a location fix if you allow the application to use GPS. you can leave it on all the time and then only allow the application you want to have access and close them completely out when done. Even "dumb" phones have this option.

Ditty
    08-04-09 08:50 PM
    It does not drain your battery. it allows the OS to let applications access the GPS chip and acquire a location fix if you allow the application to use GPS. you can leave it on all the time and then only allow the application you want to have access and close them completely out when done. Even "dumb" phones have this option.

Ditty
    Exactly. I hate seeing people telling others to keep it off to save battery. GPS On only means that an app will be allowed to use gps if required. It does not mean it is constantly searching for GPS satellites.
    08-04-09 08:59 PM
    Exactly. I hate seeing people telling others to keep it off to save battery. GPS On only means that an app will be allowed to use gps if required. It does not mean it is constantly searching for GPS satellites.
    I was wondering the same thing about battery drain thanks for clearing that up for me

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-09 09:52 PM
    GPS Does NOT drain your battery
    08-04-09 10:07 PM
    It does not drain your battery ...unless you use apps that require gps ..staying on is ok .. its a matter of choice ..
    08-04-09 10:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD