I'm not one who pops their trackball out to clean. I usually just wet my finger and run it over the trackball.

Are there any other tips/tricks to keeping it clean (aside from keeping your fingers clean and popping the trackball out)?

Just curious.
    09-20-09 06:07 PM
    I actually just wipe down the trackball once a day or so with an alcohol swab quickly. Usually does a great job and its amazing how much crap comes off the ball. Generally it takes about 30secs to let the trackball completely dry before it responds well.
    09-20-09 06:51 PM
    You can try that paper trick that some users suggested. Roll the tour face down on a white piece of paper to get some of the gunk out.

I haven't tried it personally but some people will attest to this.
    09-20-09 07:08 PM
    Every morning as part of my wake up routine I take a tissue and wet it with rubbing alcohol and wipe the screen down to get rid of finger smudges and stuff and finish it off by polishing the screen with a small microfiber cloth that came with the invisible shield install kit. This gets the screen back to factory pristine condition. I then soak a cotton swab in alcohol and rub it accross the trackball left to right, right to left, up to down, and down to up multiple times so the entire trackball gets cleaned and then dry it off with canned air which also gets out any crap stuck behind the trackball as well.
    09-20-09 07:41 PM
    I clean my phone including trackball once a week with a Alcohol Prep pad. works great!
    09-20-09 07:44 PM
    Every morning as part of my wake up routine I take a tissue and wet it with rubbing alcohol and wipe the screen down to get rid of finger smudges and stuff and finish it off by polishing the screen with a small microfiber cloth that came with the invisible shield install kit. This gets the screen back to factory pristine condition. I then soak a cotton swab in alcohol and rub it accross the trackball left to right, right to left, up to down, and down to up multiple times so the entire trackball gets cleaned and then dry it off with canned air which also gets out any crap stuck behind the trackball as well.
    in all due respect...you are treating the phone like its your child...come on' its a cell phone....but hey, whatever floats your boat
    09-20-09 07:47 PM
    in all due respect...you are treating the phone like its your child...come on' its a cell phone....but hey, whatever floats your boat
    i guess a lot of us take pride in what we own and want to take care of it the best we can. I know I'm that way with everything I own, I like to take care of my things
    09-20-09 07:48 PM
    cell phone? you obviously are not using your blackberry to it's potential.
    09-20-09 07:50 PM
    i guess a lot of us take pride in what we own and want to take care of it the best we can. I know I'm that way with everything I own, I like to take care of my things
    you don't even know me, I am cleaner than any individual you will ever meet in your life, but "as a part of my morning routine, I don't swab my phone with alcohol, then rub it with a micro fiber towel, then swab my tracball with another cloth of alcohol"...just a bit much for a cell phone...
    09-20-09 07:50 PM
    I don't think you can just "pop out" the trackball...or did I miss something ?
    09-20-09 08:28 PM
    I don't think you can just "pop out" the trackball...or did I miss something ?
    you're right, in order to take the trackball out on the tour you have to take it apart which is kinda stupid in my opinion i liked that feature on my 8330
    09-20-09 08:37 PM
    I'm gonna try the alchohol swab method. Seems pretty harmless to me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-20-09 08:39 PM
    I have a whole box of these pre-moistened lens cleaning tissues (made for eye glasses) that I picked up at Wal-Mart for something like $2 for 50. About once a day, I wipe down the whole phone, roll the trackball around with the wipe, use a microfiber cloth to remove any streaks, then blow out any crevices with canned air. The whole process takes maybe a minute.
    09-20-09 08:50 PM
    ...and then dry it off with canned air which also gets out any crap stuck behind the trackball as well.
    I'd recommend using the canned air first to dislodge debris. Hold the phone upside-down so that the debris has a greater chance of being dislodged as you'll be assisted by gravity - [vs. blowing it back in], and then clean the trackball with alcohol while still holding the phone upside-down to prevent moisture from entering the device and possibly shorting-out circuitry. After that, if you wish to use the air to aid in drying, that's fine. This is how it's recommended to clean photographic equipment - let gravity be your friend.
    09-20-09 09:01 PM
    I never clean my track ball, ever! since 8800-9000-9630
    09-20-09 09:04 PM
    Alcohol swab? Alcohol prep pad?

Is a swab just another word for a q-tip? And we're talking about rubbing alcohol, right?
    09-21-09 05:49 PM
    you don't even know me, I am cleaner than any individual you will ever meet in your life, but "as a part of my morning routine, I don't swab my phone with alcohol, then rub it with a micro fiber towel, then swab my tracball with another cloth of alcohol"...just a bit much for a cell phone...
    so, you call out mjbesen310 for judging you without even knowing you and yet you do the same thing to keithwired. unbelievable. to each his own, i say.

Like mjb, I use an alcohol prep pad but I only clean mine about once/week.
    09-21-09 05:57 PM
    Alcohol swab? Alcohol prep pad?

Is a swab just another word for a q-tip? And we're talking about rubbing alcohol, right?
    Yes, a 'swab' is nothing more than a saturated q-tip. Yes, we're referring to rubbing alcohol, although any alcohol will suffice. Alcohol is great due to its degreasing and evaporative properties.
    09-21-09 07:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD