I just had to have my phone replaced. Hence, my PIN is different. Will BBM still work? Will people be able to contact me, or do I have to contact them first? (I would relaly like to avoid contacting everyone on my list each time I get a faulty phone).

Hubie
    10-07-09 10:28 PM
    this time you will probably have to replace all your contacts manually, but the new bbm (5.0) will ask you to register an email and it will save all your bbm contacts for this exact reason. i recommend you do that, bbm 5 is in the bb app world for free
    10-07-09 10:32 PM
    If you use the "change to new blackberry" function in desktop manager, it will automatically set up forwarding from your old PIN to your new PIN. Use that and everything will be seamless to your contacts
    10-07-09 10:37 PM
    I just had to have my phone replaced. Hence, my PIN is different. Will BBM still work? Will people be able to contact me, or do I have to contact them first? (I would relaly like to avoid contacting everyone on my list each time I get a faulty phone).

Hubie
    If you had a backup made with Desktop Manager you could try to restore your BBM contacts and addressbook (and anything else) from that I believe. I could be wrong about that though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-09 10:39 PM
    If you had a backup made with Desktop Manager you could try to restore your BBM contacts and addressbook (and anything else) from that I believe. I could be wrong about that though.

That wont work. The contacts might appear in your BBM but it wont make your new pin appear to your contacts. Use the Switch Device Wizard > Switch Blackberry Devices screen in your DM as the post above you suggested.
    10-08-09 01:43 AM
    Here's the best step imo.

First backup you contact with desktop manager.

Second while your old blackberry is active on the network do a handheld wipe.

And third, restore all your contact on your new device using desktop manager.

I find this method more cleaner.
    10-08-09 02:18 AM
    ^ what he said
    10-08-09 02:24 AM
    ^^^ what they both said^^^
    10-08-09 02:27 AM
    If you�re selling your BlackBerry Tour 9630 smartphone or just wanna start over, you can delete all the data off of the device.
    1. From the Home screen press Menu.
    2. Select Options.
    3. Select Security Options.
    4. Select General Settings.
    5. Press Menu.
    6. Select Wipe Handheld.
    7. To delete all third-party applications from your device, select the Include third-party applications check box.
    8. Select Continue.
    9. Type blackberry.

You're done....

Taken from BlackBerry Tour: Wipe All Data
    10-08-09 02:52 AM

I used this method when I switched devices and my BBM contacts were transferred to my new BB and my PIN was updated on their end.
    10-08-09 10:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD