I really want the Tour but Im only 8 months into my contract and not due for an early upgrade till august of 2010.
    What I was going to do was get a phone through my moms account, shes due for an upgrade, then transfer it over to my account. She'll keep her phone and ill have the tour with a bb service. Good, right ?

Well I went up to Verizon today and they said if I do that, the warranty will be VOID, and I will NOT be able to get insurance on the phone since its a "customer provided phone", which is kinda weird since they are selling me the phone and transfering it over within 5 min, its all done right there, they know its a new phone, that they are providing, not like a phone off ebay. Kinda stupid but thats their policy. I even called 611 and they confirmed that i will not have the option for insurance or warranty

My question is, do I even bother getting this phone, or do I just go ahead with NO insurance and NO warranty, and risk it.
    The only other option is full retial and I really dont plan on doing that.

thanks for your help
    -Matt
    07-16-09 11:19 AM
    thats bull if you even call rim they will tell you the warranty follows the phone like a warranty follows a computer. tell verizon to shove it. there trying to prevent you on buying the phone on your moms account and then doing a flip flop from accts.
    07-16-09 11:22 AM
    As long as you're on a family shareplan and you have the account holder's password you can just tell them that you want to upgrade the phone on your line using your mom's upgrade. However, if your account and your mom's account are seperate accounts from each other, then verizon is in the right I believe.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-09 11:35 AM
    I did the same thing, which voided my warranty as well.
    07-16-09 11:38 AM
    Right...we have seperate accounts.

Now, do I risk it with NO warranty and NO insurance or scratch the idea. The insurance is not a major problem, its the warranty that bothers me.
    07-16-09 11:39 AM
    what do you think guys ?
    07-16-09 01:55 PM
    All I can tell you is.....This Tour is a great device.

07-16-09 02:25 PM
    Sounds like you are really concerned with it, and you are turning to the forum to justify your wants, even though inside you feel that it is a lot of risk to take. No ins is probably no biggie, there are other ways to get some ins like thru some credit cards, although they might not cover much. No warranty on the other hand, hope u don't get one of the problem ones.

07-16-09 02:33 PM
    what do you think guys ?
    Well, as stated previously in this thread, not having your INS provided by your Carrier isn't that big of a deal. But, voiding your warranty is something you should really concern yourself with. Basically if you get a problem one, then you just dropped a solid amount of cash without being able to do anything about it. The Tour is a great device, but make an intelligent decision regardless of your anxiousness to get the phone.
    07-16-09 02:36 PM
    call up cs and tell them you want to know what your etf is and when they say why tell them your phone you have now is a piece of shi* and your gonna switch carriers and i bet they hook you up with the tour if the first cs doesnt care call again i had a storm 3 times replaced and i got the tour for free and got to keep my storm and sold it for a profit got to use your head when you call .
    07-16-09 02:44 PM
    That's strange. Before I got my tour, I used my sisters upgrade and they said no problem and I had warranty. I would try caling customer service

07-16-09 02:51 PM
    pay retail for tour, sell the current phone on ebay to defray the cost. it wont exactly be new contract or upgrade pricing, but its better than nothing
    07-16-09 02:52 PM
    I am lookin here for answers because I know you guys know alot about this type of stuff. Me on the other hand, dont.

I guess Ill make a few more calls to cs and see If I can get some answers. My buddy called today and they said the 1 year warranty follows the phone no matter who owns it. I can live without the insurance but the warranty is a fail safe.
    07-16-09 05:34 PM
    The part about insurance is true -- the insurance insures the line that purchases it, not the particular device, so if you buy the Tour with your mom's line, the insurance won't follow it when you transfer the phone over to yourself. Since the purchase of the device is complete at the moment that the transaction is made for your mom's line, transferring it to you doesn't count as a "purchase" for purposes of resetting the time frame in which you can buy insurance for your line (I believe you can only insure your line within 30 days of purchasing a new device or signing a new contract, or something like that).

And yes, the 1-year warranty does follow the phone, since that is provided by the manufacturer of the phone.
    07-16-09 05:42 PM
    EKINNYC is right just pay retail and sell ur current phone on ebay or craigslist. You are not entitled to transfer entitlements and perks to different accounts.

i would wait a couple weeks until all the hype and frantic behaovior has died down a bit. New device rollouts can be a nightmare.
    07-16-09 06:01 PM
    Well the thing im most concerned about is the warranty....if its one year and it does follow the device, then ill get it though my mom's upgrade. I just need the conformation from Verizon since they are the ones that will need to replace it, if something were to happen.
    07-16-09 07:17 PM
    Anyone know any more about this ??
    07-19-09 10:38 AM
    Ive never heard of that! Ive had people who were due for upgrades get the phone & then I would do the flip flop so I could get the new phone I wanted on my account & I've never had a problem! There was always insurance on it! I dont know what they are talking about it! Maybe just order the upgrade for your mom & when the phone comes in just do the transfer online! That's the way I do it I've never had a problem! Good Luck, cause this BB Tour is really awesome!!!!!!!!
    07-19-09 11:05 AM
    Customer loyalty is a big deal to these companies and they will practically throw prostitutes thru your window to keep you especially if you are a long term customer who pays your bill and buys a lot of phones. But don't get too short or cocky or they'll say whatever! explain your situation and hint that you may need to switch if you can't get a reasonable deal on the phone you want. Tell them how you love your service but want the newest technologies available. Hope this works if you use it. Let us know!
    07-19-09 11:20 AM
    Ive never heard of that! Ive had people who were due for upgrades get the phone & then I would do the flip flop so I could get the new phone I wanted on my account & I've never had a problem! There was always insurance on it! I dont know what they are talking about it! Maybe just order the upgrade for your mom & when the phone comes in just do the transfer online! That's the way I do it I've never had a problem! Good Luck, cause this BB Tour is really awesome!!!!!!!!
    yeah, true. i just ordered my tour on a secondary line to switch to mine. however, i'm on a family plan AND i intend to activate online (if you activate online they give you a drop down menu of numbers you can activate on) and i already picked out the tour and insurance i wanted on it on one line, and i plan to transfer it over to my line.
    i've done it before, not with an insurance plan (this is the only phone that's ever been worth the insurance) but i don't see why it wouldn't transfer right over.
    07-19-09 12:00 PM
    Yes there a ways around of everything! Ive never had a problem doing it before & I've done it a bunch of times. The nicer you are the better chance you'll get what you want!!! Trust me it should work!!
    07-20-09 04:13 PM
    tried countless times talking to 611 about an upgrade on my account as an early upgrade...wont budge cause I just got an upgrade in dec..
    07-25-09 07:57 PM
    call up cs and tell them you want to know what your etf is and when they say why tell them your phone you have now is a piece of shi* and your gonna switch carriers and i bet they hook you up with the tour if the first cs doesnt care call again i had a storm 3 times replaced and i got the tour for free and got to keep my storm and sold it for a profit got to use your head when you call .
    Hey, do you wanna call vzw for me? lol
    I've replaced my storm 4 times and I'm trying to get the Tour but all they do is keep giving me new storms! It's NOT helping!

OP: I would use your mom's upgrade and switch it. Insurance isn't a big deal at all unless you're prone to breaking your phone in weird ways, but the warranty is the only thing I'd worry about. Most ppl are saying that it stays with the phone because it's provided by the manufacturer which makes sense, so I say go for it!
    07-25-09 10:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD