What it the difference with adding tether to your plan and using a program like Tetherberry? They both get you on the net right?
    09-21-09 09:18 PM
    my understanding (and i could be wrong) is tetherberry is an app that uses your data plan so you dont have additional tethering charges.
    09-21-09 09:59 PM
    my understanding (and i could be wrong) is tetherberry is an app that uses your data plan so you dont have additional tethering charges.
    Exactly

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

09-22-09 11:11 AM
    What it the difference with adding tether to your plan and using a program like Tetherberry? They both get you on the net right?
    Adding tether to your plan doesn't violate your contract, but technically Tetherberry or similar programs probably do, if caught.

09-22-09 11:16 AM
    You have to pay extra for tethering on verizon? Youre telling me that you have a blackberry plan on your account and you have to pay extra for tethering?

Dont know how u guys put up with big reds mess, every time I hear something like this I just shake my head more and more.
    09-22-09 03:07 PM
    I'm considering getting tetherberry for my tour, but I'm just wondering, how are internet speeds when tethering with this app? Are speeds comparable to broadband or slower? How about compared to VZW's broadband modems/service?

09-22-09 04:20 PM
    I won a copy of TetherBerry and tried it out the other night. It actually surprised me with how quick it was. I went to Speedtest.net and got 1.0Mbps down on 3G.

I'm not sure about Verizon's tethering, but TetherBerry currently only supports a USB connection. Their website states that they hope to support Bluetooth later on.
    09-22-09 04:31 PM
    I won a copy of TetherBerry and tried it out the other night. It actually surprised me with how quick it was. I went to Speedtest.net and got 1.0Mbps down on 3G.

I'm not sure about Verizon's tethering, but TetherBerry currently only supports a USB connection. Their website states that they hope to support Bluetooth later on.
    Thnx for the info

09-22-09 04:36 PM
    i'm planning on buying tetherberry for my Tour but i'm concerned whether as Verizon will terminate my contract for using it. is this true? has anyone downloaded the app for their Tour or other BlackBerry device and tried it out on a Verizon network?
    09-22-09 05:03 PM
    You have to pay extra for tethering on verizon? Youre telling me that you have a blackberry plan on your account and you have to pay extra for tethering?

Dont know how u guys put up with big reds mess, every time I hear something like this I just shake my head more and more.
    I rather put up with any of Verizon's mess than have to buy and pay a monthly fee to have a MicroCell so I can "boost" my 3G coverage.

3G MicroCells: Carriers Want You to Pay Extra to Fix Their Own Failures - 3G microcell - Gizmodo
    09-22-09 05:04 PM
    I rather put up with any of Verizon's mess than have to buy and pay a monthly fee to have a MicroCell so I can "boost" my 3G coverage.

3G MicroCells: Carriers Want You to Pay Extra to Fix Their Own Failures - 3G microcell - Gizmodo
    Sprint will give you the device and give you a 100% credit on the monthly charge (which is now $5 a month vs gizmodos claim that it is 20$) if you live in an area that has no coverage.

Also if you live in an area that has no Sprint coverage, but has Verizon coverage then you would just roam on VZW right? Right. So if VZW network is so good then no VZW or Sprint subscriber would need this. So obviously it is for rural areas without coverage from either carrier. So if you are on VZW and live in an area with no coverage I guess you are SOL, while your neighbor has a MicroCell and has perfect service on Sprint in his home, for no additional charge. At least with sprint they give you the option.

Now back to the topic of tethering.
    09-22-09 05:20 PM
    I know that with my sprint account I get a free app to allow me to tether onto any 3g network with no roaming charges. I've never tested the speed on it, but I do know its not the best. I would wager its around 500kps, but its still better than using the phone as a dial up or something of the like.
    09-22-09 05:26 PM
    What exactly is tethering??
    09-22-09 06:09 PM
    Hooking your blackberry to your computer via USB or bluetooth so that your computer has internet access through your blackberry anywhere you have service.
    09-22-09 06:11 PM
    Last I heard Sprint charges extra for tethering with their software. Right?

09-22-09 06:30 PM
    Not if you have the blackberry plan or a simply everything plan, it is included in both of these.
    09-22-09 06:52 PM
    What exactly is tethering??
    It's basically using your phone as a modem ... for your lappy or whatever else...
    09-22-09 06:56 PM
    Last I heard Sprint charges extra for tethering with their software. Right?

As stated before, if you have either the $5 a month extra charge for the blackberry service plan or you have the simply everything plan, it is free to dl the software and run it as a broadband modem.
    09-23-09 05:01 PM
    yes, Sprint does charge for a tethering plan. With tetherberry or pda net (with os 4.7 and above), tethering is free. The fine print in Sprints contract says that you have use of up to 5GB of data use per month. So if you use tetherberry or pda net, keep an eye on your data usage. I'm not sure if they would charge you for overage or not, but it is something to think about. I don't know if Verizon has a 5GB data limit or not.
    09-23-09 10:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD