So I was at the gym tonight and my lovely Blackberry Tour fell off the treadmill hit the the edge and bounced onto the carpet.. not a good feeling. Well now my tour has a white screen with a nice colorful strip on the left. I can still recieve texts, phone calls, etc.. but of course I can't see them. Any thoughts?

And no I do not have insurance or a warranty.

Here's a pic to show you.

Most likely need a new screen? If so, does anyone know how much it costs? Now I gotta go back to my old curve lol.
    03-11-10 09:35 PM
    Too bad butterfingers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-11-10 09:45 PM
    No insurance? Ugggh. Insurance has saved my a** on two occasions.

This may be a very expensive lesson for you. I hate having to pay that extra $$ for insurance, but I sure was glad when I ended up needing it.

Sorry Hope you can find a way to get it fixed.
    03-11-10 09:48 PM
    Ouch..that's why its usually good to get insurance :\ Sorry but I don't think you can do much about it. I may be wrong tho
    03-11-10 09:48 PM
    Well the good thing is my company pays for my phone line and they gave me an old curve to use. I bought the Tour because I wanted a better phone, but I dont think the company will pay for my insurance. I always have insurance for every phone I have no matter what. So at least I have the curve to use. Maybe I can just sell it and someone else can try fixing it lol. It just sucks. I babied that phone and never though this would happen.
    03-11-10 09:51 PM
    They sell replacement LCD screens if you'd be comfortable attempting a fix. At least I have heard they do. swbox or whatever has them I think. I'm not sure if that would even help as there might be other internal components broken up as well.

Sorry.

03-11-10 09:51 PM
    Yeah I don't think it would be a good idea for me to even try lol. Plus I don't have the time. Guess I could try selling it on eBay.
    03-11-10 09:59 PM
    I wonder if some cable came loose or popped off a connector? You'd still have to feel comfortable opening it up.
    03-11-10 10:17 PM
    If you have no insurance or warranty, and it's broken anyway, what's there to lose from attempting a fix? Starting with a broken phone, worst case you still have a broken phone, but best case maybe you find a loose connector or something easy to fix.

That's how I'd be looking at it anyway. It sure isn't worth much in current condition I would think...

03-11-10 10:53 PM
    Agreed with no insurance I would try anything otherwise your pretty much screwed. Be smart and invest in insurance next time. Its only like 6 or 7 dollars a month and well worth it.
    03-12-10 04:38 AM
    It doesn't look like the screen is broken (the lcd would be bleeding if it was) so probably a loose connector.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-12-10 05:27 AM
    I would also recommend a home repair attempt. Best case - you fix your phone for cheap, you learn some trouble-shooting/repair skills, and you save the purchase price of a new one.

Worst case - you break an already broken phone...
    03-12-10 07:11 AM
    I would try searching the Market place......I'm sure someone is selling a tour.....

03-12-10 08:27 AM
    Check fleBay or Craigslist for a repl. People are selling them all the time. Might be $300 for a new one. Or send it in for a screen repl. I think ur LCD is cracked, has happened to me before.
    03-12-10 08:43 AM
    If you have no insurance or warranty, and it's broken anyway, what's there to lose from attempting a fix? Starting with a broken phone, worst case you still have a broken phone, but best case maybe you find a loose connector or something easy to fix.

That's how I'd be looking at it anyway. It sure isn't worth much in current condition I would think...

Thanks for the replies guys! Very true on trying to fix it myself, what do I have to lose right? Haha! But my company might be able to buy me a new phone anyway, I will talk to my boss about it today. If not, at least I have the weekend to attempt to fix it. I didnt think the screen would be cracked, because it would definitely be bleeding.

I always buy insurance for my phones, the only reason I didnt this time is because its under my companys account, not my own, even though I bought the phone myself. So unless there is an insurance company outside of verizon that I can go with then I would.
    03-12-10 08:54 AM
    that sux man I have bounced my curve off the concrete many times and have never had a problem , yah must of just got it on the right spot
    03-12-10 03:08 PM
    Yeah no kidding, I have never had that happen before even with past blackberries. My boss might be getting me a brand new Tour, so hopefully I find out later today if he will.
    03-12-10 03:56 PM
    That's really bad luck. I dropped my Tour last week on hard tile and nothing happened to it. I would try to fix it. I have opened pretty much every BlackBerry that I have owned to swap bezels and trackballs and keyboards, etc. It isn't hard at all. Just be patient and take your time if you decide to fix yourself.

03-12-10 05:05 PM
    That does not look like a screen problem. Have you tried rebooting it? Looks more like something internal.
    03-12-10 08:02 PM
    I've rebooted many times and just took it apart and nothing. Not sure what to do.
    03-12-10 08:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD