I'm new to BBs, and think I want a Tour when it comes out. But I was playing
    around with a Bold, an 8900 and a Storm at the stores recently, and I was very
    underwhelmed by the speed of the web browsing. At the T-Mobile store I
    finally just gave up on the 8900 it was so slow. It was a toss-up between the
    Bold (at&t) and Storm (vzw) for speed but still not real impressive.
    Is it likely that I just got a typical in-store experience or are these things really
    that much slower than internet on a computer? (I don't expect cable internet
    speeds but I thought it would be faster)
    05-08-09 04:01 PM
    Expecting anything near computer quickness is unrealistic. Phones using Wi-Fi will be the fastest and then come the 3G phones like the Storm. The internet browser is meant to be a convenience but not your #1 option for web browsing by any means.
    05-08-09 04:30 PM
    I too was shocked by the speed of some of today's leading smartphones and BBs. For having over 600mhz in the Bold, and a near 3.6mbps (I may be off a bit) connection. However I think the actual speed may be in the kb numbers.

I know a BB shouldn't replace a laptop, but I expected a little speed boost with a processor at almost twice the speed.
    05-08-09 04:49 PM
    I too was shocked by the speed of some of today's leading smartphones and BBs. For having over 600mhz in the Bold, and a near 3.6mbps (I may be off a bit) connection. However I think the actual speed may be in the kb numbers.

I know a BB shouldn't replace a laptop, but I expected a little speed boost with a processor at almost twice the speed.
    What browser? Some tend to be faster than others.
    05-08-09 04:56 PM
    What browser? Some tend to be faster than others.
    I heard that Opera is faster but doesn't have all the features as the OEM BB browser. So it may be a few seconds quicker, but at the cost of some websites rendering incomplete pages. Since I don't own a BB I am just stating what I've read from a few people.
    05-08-09 05:02 PM
    For the record, one of the knocks on every Blackberry that has ever come out with the capability, is the stock Blackberry web browser when compared to other smart phones.

Now I don't know how the Opera or Skyfire browsers work on Blackberries but those are two of the best mobile browsers out for smart phones right now I believe. I don't know how those browsers enhance the Blackberry browsing experience or if they don't enhance it at all but I'd love to know!
    05-08-09 09:47 PM
    its actually pretty decent speeds on my storm and I know the Bold gets decent speeds on 3g as well.

One thing to note is that many sites do have mobile versions of there sites such as this one which completely flys on mobile...

Its definitely not a replacement to a pc/mac on cable but it gets the job done very often. I check things constantly when I am out and about it keeps me away from a actual computer a lot more during the day.

Another thing is if you do things like facebook instant messaging and such there is actual applications that you install so many things are taken off the browser and get the job done well.

LTE is around the corner which will speed things up a ton but it will still be a while before a mobile phone replaces your computer for a internet surfing device.
    05-09-09 12:24 AM
    Opera does fine on most sites as does bolt. Every browser, including the oem browser, has certain pages it does not handle well. Many people use opera or bolt instead of the bb browser. Mis rendering is soooo over stated and personally I like how opera handles most pages. Every browser has its good and bad features.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-09-09 02:23 AM
    Opera does fine on most sites as does bolt. Every browser, including the oem browser, has certain pages it does not handle well. Many people use opera or bolt instead of the bb browser. Mis rendering is soooo over stated and personally I like how opera handles most pages. Every browser has its good and bad features.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

the thing is though on a storm bolt and opera are just kind of "so " "so"

it has nothing to do with rendering or speed

but neither app has incorporated sure press so the entire OS uses surepress accept in opera or bolt (bolt has a new option that makes it easier) you just touch a link and it goes this is not ideal for the storm with the way it was designed.
    05-09-09 02:32 AM
    newbie question can you have multiple browsers loaded on bb or would they conflict with each other?
    05-09-09 05:02 AM
    Keep in mind: 3.6 Mb/s in KB/s = 460.8 KB / s: ie, kilobytes, not megabytes.
    05-09-09 07:54 AM
    Opera Mini is much faster then the BB browser, I'd say like 3 times faster. But still 3G is light years slower than what you have on a computer at home.
    05-09-09 08:17 AM
    I'm new to BBs, and think I want a Tour when it comes out. But I was playing
    around with a Bold, an 8900 and a Storm at the stores recently, and I was very
    underwhelmed by the speed of the web browsing. At the T-Mobile store I
    finally just gave up on the 8900 it was so slow. It was a toss-up between the
    Bold (at&t) and Storm (vzw) for speed but still not real impressive.
    Is it likely that I just got a typical in-store experience or are these things really
    that much slower than internet on a computer? (I don't expect cable internet
    speeds but I thought it would be faster)
    This is a smartphone, not a laptop. You just have to keep that in mind. The native BB browser has been improving over various devices. This one will be no different. The 9630's browser handles JS better than previous devices. There are 3rd party browsers, and while they may be a little faster, it's still from a phone. Now the Skyfire browser is pretty quick, from all reports. It will definitely be something to install on the device when it comes out. But you have to remember this is a phone not a laptop.

newbie question can you have multiple browsers loaded on bb or would they conflict with each other?
    Yes you can load multiple 3rd party browsers and they not conflict with each other.

Opera Mini is much faster then the BB browser, I'd say like 3 times faster. But still 3G is light years slower than what you have on a computer at home.
    I have to disagree. Opera may be 1/2 time/s faster than my native BB browser on the 9000. But I wouldn't say it's faster than the native BB browser on my 9630.
    05-09-09 08:40 AM
    It's plain and simple, the BB stock browser is not good. It is painfully slow and kills the battery. Opera and Bolt are very good alternatives. I can load Crackberry.com many times faster on Opera than on the BB browser. I just cannot wait for Skyfire to leave Alpha and enter Beta!
    05-09-09 10:59 AM
    Thanks for all the input guys. I certainly don't expect anything like my home
    network speeds, but what I experienced from the 8900 was absolutely intolerable.
    I guess it was on the EDGE network at the time instead of Wi-Fi,
    but is EDGE really that bad? I've also thought that with all the hands that
    played with these things throughout the day they might have been slowed
    down significantly. Is that possible?
    05-09-09 11:02 AM
    Speaking about connections, what is the ultimate difference between Rev A (the Storm's and probably Tour's method of connectivity) vs the new LTE? Now I know that LTE is far from being released, but as for speed and availability? Will we see both networks in rural areas or only major cities? Are any devices utilizing LTE or am I jumping years ahead of myself
    05-09-09 11:37 AM

I have to disagree. Opera may be 1/2 time/s faster than my native BB browser on the 9000. But I wouldn't say it's faster than the native BB browser on my 9630.
    So, CX, you are saying that the 9630's browser is significantly faster than the Bold's and the Storm's?
    05-09-09 12:28 PM
    I have the Niagara and the browser is very fast. I think its even faster than the bold and javelin.
    05-09-09 01:26 PM
    So, CX, you are saying that the 9630's browser is significantly faster than the Bold's and the Storm's?
    Significantly? No. I would say it handles JS faster. So on pages where JS is a major part of the site, I would give the edge to the 9630. But they are very close in speed. I haven't really put them against each other, just going off of time on both. Again, very close, and in any particular situation, one could be a little faster than the other. But not significantly.
    05-09-09 03:10 PM
    I would have agree, on my storm I toggle between Opera mini(I can download podcasts and other media without hitting the 2mb limit in the BB browser) and the stock Browser. On the 9630 I only use the BB browser as it has been improved.

Internet Speeds on the phone will never hit the limits posted by VZW just due to the network congestion issues, your sharing that bandwidth and that slows you down. I don't find it slow as you still will see about 700kbs most times... The real bottleneck happens with page rendering and that is improving with each revision of the Browser..
    05-09-09 04:30 PM
    I would have agree, on my storm I toggle between Opera mini(I can download podcasts and other media without hitting the 2mb limit in the BB browser) and the stock Browser. On the 9630 I only use the BB browser as it has been improved.

Internet Speeds on the phone will never hit the limits posted by VZW just due to the network congestion issues, your sharing that bandwidth and that slows you down. I don't find it slow as you still will see about 700kbs most times... The real bottleneck happens with page rendering and that is improving with each revision of the Browser..
    Where do you download podcasts in Opera Mini? What site? Thanks!

As for the browser...I have lost hope in Blackberry browsers. Gotta use 3rd party ones.
    05-09-09 04:34 PM

See that was my point exactly. Don't get me wrong, the 9630's browser is much improved, but to say it's much faster than the 9000's is incorrect. We always agree huh bro?

Edit: @ Stang, Skyfire will be just what BlackBerry users need.
    05-09-09 04:54 PM
    See that was my point exactly. Don't get me wrong, the 9630's browser is much improved, but to say it's much faster than the 9000's is incorrect. We always agree huh bro?

Edit: @ Stang, Skyfire will be just what BlackBerry users need.
    Oh, I know! I am telling all of my BB-using friends to just wait for Skyfire! haha
    05-09-09 05:07 PM
    Significantly? No. I would say it handles JS faster. So on pages where JS is a major part of the site, I would give the edge to the 9630. But they are very close in speed. I haven't really put them against each other, just going off of time on both. Again, very close, and in any particular situation, one could be a little faster than the other. But not significantly.
    I see, thanks. Man, it's hard trying to decide on either the 9630, or the Storm 2. Or slight chance of getting both.
    05-09-09 05:52 PM
    I see, thanks. Man, it's hard trying to decide on either the 9630, or the Storm 2. Or slight chance of getting both.
    I would get the 9630 and make it last until RIM releases their LTE BlackBerry. Remember Verizon is rolling it out fairly soon.
    05-09-09 07:23 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD