Can't seem to find it anywhere; does it exist on the Tour?
    07-17-09 07:57 PM
    uhhh....no. There is a workaround. Record a voice note with the sounds you like and set it to be treated like a ringtone. I recorded a 15 second escalating ringtone off my retired 8703. It was a standard ringtone that I had repeated three times with escalating volume. It can wake the dead. Only takes a few minutes. Here's how to do it.

1) Navigate to voice notes on the tour.
    2) On old phone navigate to where you can play the ringtones, maybe a profile edit screen. I assume you have a retired BB since you mentioned being able to control the number of beeps.
    3) Set tour up to record voice note and get ready to play the ring tones.
    4) Hold speaker of old phone to mic of tour
    5) Turn on record and play the ringtone. I manually escalated the volume ( low, medium, high) as the tone played.
    6) Turn off record
    7) Use voice note menu to set recording to be used as ringtone.
    8) Navigate to tour profile edit and got to set phone ring tone
    9) Use "browse" to select voice note recording as the ring tone.
    10) Save
    11) Enjoy

The ring tone sounds every bit as good as it did on my 8703, and the volume can be further controlled on the tour by using the 1-10 volume setting.

Kind of hard to understand why RIM removed this capability. This workaround does resolve the shortcoming though and only takes a couple of minutes. Heck, think about it, you can record anything as a voice note and make it into a ring tone.

Try it. I think you'll like it.

Zoombah
    Last edited by Zoombah; 07-17-09 at 10:03 PM.
    07-17-09 10:00 PM
    Hey Zoombah that's pretty clever. Hows the sound quality? any deterioration?

Peace,
    Tm
    07-17-09 10:15 PM
    Sounds just as good as the original, and I think better than the same tones off the Tour. Recommend doing it with as little ambient background noise as possible.

Honestly.....it sounds every bit as good as it did on my 8703.
    07-17-09 10:24 PM
    The only problem with this is - - I didn't think of it myself!! Nice!
    07-17-09 10:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD