I bought a Blackberry tour on ebay and i had a small issue with the right side shortcut key. Its nothing that makes or breaks the phone just a small thing thats driving me crazy and i wanted to know if anyone knows if verizon will send me a replacement. If i told them i bought it from someone else does that void the warranty? shouldnt i still be covered by RIM. Please let me know if anyone knows the Verizon warranty policy. thanks so much in advance
    11-24-09 10:37 AM
    Normally the warranty applies only to the original purchaser. I've heard of exceptions being made but I wouldn't count on it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-09 10:58 AM
    Yep, the warranty isn't transferable.

However, some people have gotten replacements through their carrier in these situations. Just don't hold your breath.
    11-24-09 11:04 AM
    is there any way for them to know that i was not the one that bought it from them originally?
    11-24-09 11:12 AM
    I bought a new pink curve off of ebay. I was the first person to activate the phone. I activated the phone myself on "my verizon." I had the battery door "button" lose a spring. I took it to the local Verizon store and since they did not have any in stock I had to call 611 They sent me a new replacement through Fedex and I did not have to pay for anything. I do have the insurance, and the warranty through Verizon. I had no problems and they never asked where I bought the phone. Hope that helps.
    11-24-09 12:01 PM
    is there any way for them to know that i was not the one that bought it from them originally?
    The IMEI will enable them to see who the original purchaser was.

11-24-09 12:23 PM
    when i got the phone off ebay, i called them to make sure the esn was clear, and they told me it was. So does that mean they know someone else had it? And if i have an issue besides my loose battery door in the future, and verizon tells me they wont do anything does RIM help me? If yes how would I go about that
    11-24-09 11:27 PM
    Vzw isn't required to replace the device, but if u ask the right way and come off confident and outgoing they will help u out. I've stated this is many posts asking the same thing. I bought mine off craigslist and it was a first batch tour with trackball issues. I walked into a verizon store an hour later, explained trackball issues and had a new one sent no questions asked. Just be nice to the customer service rep and they will reciprocate

11-24-09 11:39 PM
    The easiest way to get a replacement is to call verizon through CSR help since you dont have to take it into the store. It just depends on who you talk to I guess.
    11-24-09 11:53 PM
    when i got the phone off ebay, i called them to make sure the esn was clear, and they told me it was. So does that mean they know someone else had it?
    No. All that means is that the ESN did not show up as being blocked, stolen or lost in their system.

It doesn't necessarily mean anything about previous ownership.

And if i have an issue besides my loose battery door in the future, and verizon tells me they wont do anything does RIM help me? If yes how would I go about that
    RIM runs all of its warranty support through the authorized carriers. So I would not hold out hope for them assisting you with a warranty issue.
    11-25-09 06:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD