When my contract was up (updating from my EnV2, peice of crap),
    I went to the Verizon store without checking if they even had the Bold,
    just assuming they did...bad idea.

I ended up going with the Curve, because it IS attractive & I liked
    how the keys were set up & the screen was big. My first BlackBerry.

I'm so tweaked that Verizon is getting a form of the Bold now... >.>
    Is it worth it to pay full price w/ out a contract update? Or should I just
    stick it out w/ my Curve for the next 2 years?

What do you guys think? Bold vs. Curve?
    04-01-09 05:41 PM
    What version of the Bold are they getting?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-01-09 05:46 PM
    What version of the Bold are they getting?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    9630...its the qwerty keyboard version of the storm more than a version of the Bold IMHO
    same processor and internal components as the storm
    slower processor than the Bold with more memory and a better camera
    or an 8900 with a lil bit faster processor
    size is between the Bold and 8900
    no WiFi
    its CDMA EVDO revision A
    04-01-09 06:07 PM
    I cant wait for the 9630 to finally drop but it wont be hitting us sprint users till mid Q3 of this year. Not sure when verizon will be getting it but it should be this summer. If you are like me and am PUMPED for it then you might want to just pay the price and pick one up when it drops. I would recommend eBay once it comes out, you can probably end up winning an auction for a reduced cost. But i know im going to have one the first day it comes out, im dying for it!!!
    04-01-09 06:11 PM
    If it's what you really want you should pay the retail price. I think it's supposed to be around the same price as the storm, so around $500. The 9630 is more of a fusion of the bold and 8900 so you should wait and try it out in the store before you make a decision
    04-01-09 06:35 PM
    The 9630 is going to be a beast.. if I was on VZW I would get it.
    04-01-09 08:00 PM
    The 9630 is going to be a beast.. if I was on VZW I would get it.
    A beast for Verizon. But if your on AT&T, it's not better than the Bold.
    04-01-09 08:09 PM
    The 9630 is definitely a step up from the Curve 8330. Actually a couple steps up. It provides all of the functionality of the 8330, plus some. Definitely a good investment if you're on Verizon.
    04-01-09 08:44 PM
    I think it's worth paying full retail but if it doesn't come out within the next few months, you may be better of waiting for the next phone after the Niagara. You don't want to keep paying for newer phones or renewing your contract.
    04-01-09 09:07 PM
    It's worth selling your Curve _now_ while it still has some value, and using your old phone for a month until the 9630 comes out. _If_ it comes out in a month.

Heck, I'm hanging onto a VZW line just waiting for the 9630 to be released, at which point I will probably buy one, try it for a few days, remember how much I despize the Verize, dump the contract, sell the phone, and go back to my Bold.

Dunno, tho....we'll see. So far BG and KM have been googley-eyed over the 9630 prototypes/beta units they've been playing with.
    04-01-09 09:08 PM
    I think it's worth paying full retail but if it doesn't come out within the next few months, you may be better of waiting for the next phone after the Niagara. You don't want to keep paying for newer phones or renewing your contract.
    I think, the next best thing to do if you don't wanna pay retail and don't have a upgrade is buy EU with a crappy OS, and pray to the OS gods for a good build.
    04-01-09 09:09 PM
    If you are within your 30 days... take it back and use your old phone until the 9630 comes out.... or take it back and, this is weird, get a used Curve off eBay or the MarketPlace here or on Hofo.

Even with the $35 restocking fee it will probably be worth it so you can get the 9630 as an upgrade rather than paying $500 full retail. Using your old phone will only cost you the restocking fee. Or, you can probably get a used Curve for $100 and get half of it back when you sell it to get the 9630 when it comes out.

You would probably take a huge depreciation hit on a new Curve when you try to sell it to cover the cost of the 9630 as the used market will be flooded with used Curves when the 9630 comes out.
    04-01-09 09:40 PM
    If you are within your 30 days... take it back and use your old phone until the 9630 comes out.... or take it back and, this is weird, get a used Curve off eBay or the MarketPlace here or on Hofo.

Even with the $35 restocking fee it will probably be worth it so you can get the 9630 as an upgrade rather than paying $500 full retail. Using your old phone will only cost you the restocking fee. Or, you can probably get a used Curve for $100 and get half of it back when you sell it to get the 9630 when it comes out.

You would probably take a huge depreciation hit on a new Curve when you try to sell it to cover the cost of the 9630 as the used market will be flooded with used Curves when the 9630 comes out.
    Kilofox could you explain this a little more? My contract ends 6/20 and i was really hoping to get the 9630 by then but seeing as though it may come out late june/july/august i was looking for ways to hold off on using my upgrade until the 9630 comes out
    04-01-09 10:16 PM
    Anyone know why they didn't include Wi-Fi on the Niagara?

This puts the Bold above the unreleased Niagara in my opinion.

I love my Curve but wish I had Wi-Fi
    04-01-09 11:15 PM
    I waited patiently for the Jesus-Phone-Killer, the Storm to hit. I was pumped. Not that this Curve 8330 I'm using now was BAD - but Oh, the Storm hype was SOOO delicious...

SPLAT. Software bugs. Hardware issues. (Stick a business card under the battery door, just so my click-touchscreen will work?!) NOT exactly setting the world afire right out of the gate, are we? And even after Months of tweeking, I still find typing on the things are a pain in the arrse, and generally slow.

So, yes - I'm "excited" about the hybrid-ish 9630 coming out... Many of the Storms features but with a full keypad, Bold looks and slightly larger than the Curve. Great!
    BUT: I'd strongly suggest waiting for some full reviews of the 9630 after they've officially been released.

Chances are, they'll be spot-on, being a keypad BB, which RIM does very well. But you never know. Maybe VZW will try to push these things out the door before the software is polished (ala: Storm) and there'll be bugs everyone will have to deal with for 3 months.

Best advice- enjoy what you're using now. IF the 9630 comes out by May/July of this year for VZW, you have 2-3 months to save up for it, maybe more if you give it a while longer just to see what peoples opinions of the things are, before you buy.

Probably be some cool 3rd-party stuff for the 9630's by that time too. Themes, apps and cases, etc.
    And I don't think landing a 9630 once it arrives in stores is going to prove to be too difficult.

2cents.
    04-01-09 11:18 PM

It's just a Verizon preference. There isn't one BlackBerry on Verizon that has WiFi. Why? It could be that they require a data plan for every BB that is sold there, and there would be no need for WiFi.

And the Bold is above any device, unless it has a higher processor than it. Which none do right now.
    04-01-09 11:20 PM

Verizon hates Wi-Fi because they want you to access everything from their network.

Works like this:
    "If someone isn't using our 3G network to surf the internet or send voice and data, that's money we can't collect on!"
    Or something like that.

Same reason why they like to disable the GPS on most of their wares, so as not to "compete" with their own VZ-Services.

The network and coverage is great, but even I have to admit they're a bunch of greedy bassa's who purposely cripple their phone models just to turn a buck.

Maybe we need to start raising a few Tea-Parties, aimed at these carriers and get control of what WE want on our mobile devices back.
    And Verizon menus and OS? Ugly as sin.
    04-01-09 11:28 PM
    Verizon hates Wi-Fi because they want you to access everything from their network.

Works like this:
    "If someone isn't using our 3G network to surf the internet or send voice and data, that's money we can't collect on!"
    Or something like that.

Same reason why they like to disable the GPS on most of their wares, so as not to "compete" with their own VZ-Services.

The network and coverage is great, but even I have to admit they're a bunch of greedy bassa's who purposely cripple their phone models just to turn a buck.

Maybe we need to start raising a few Tea-Parties, aimed at these carriers and get control of what WE want on our mobile devices back.
    And Verizon menus and OS? Ugly as sin.
    Verizon is a greedy, greedy company. Just look at the Storm, perfect example. They rushed it to be pushed out for Black Friday, pushed it out with a half *** OS, no offense to RIM, they did their job, but Verizon didn't care and pushed it out. They wanted money, money, and more money. They didn't think, hmm, wonder if this has a good OS on it how many more people will buy it? They care about money that's it.
    04-01-09 11:34 PM

Works like this:
    Or something like that.

Verizon does not HATE WiFi, most of their Windows Mobile smart phones have it. Please stop harping on that old song, and the data plan has been required for all VZW Blackberries since they have offered Blackberry smart phones so your argument makes no sense at all. They dont need to justify it it is is simply required period. No data plan = no Blackberry on Verizon.
    04-02-09 12:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD