Alright well since Bell has the worst customer service, I'm going to replace my Tour's trackball by myself.

Just a few questions:

Has anyone done it? Any success?

If my trackball is loose and not very responsive now, will a new ball fix this?

Where can I get a trackball from? Are they all OEM?

Can RIM or Bell tell that it's been opened up?

Thanks,
    Joe
    12-20-09 11:27 PM
    You still are covered by warranty so it might be best to allow their poor customer service to try.

Apparently, there is a sticker or substance on at least one of the screws in the battery compartment that shows tampering. Some have managed to remove it CAREFULLY. Oh, and yes, folks have done it themselves. There are some cautions - the top piece with the mute/standby buttons is double-sided tape or similarly stuck HARD and some folks have broken it.

There are videos and pic-by-pic tutorials. Almost the entire Tour has to be disassembled to get to the trackball.

Crackberry as well as other sell replacements.
    12-21-09 12:17 AM
    Trackball replacement is easy, just be careful. And yes it does void warranty.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-21-09 02:31 AM
    yes,i know the situation u are in,u know i just met the same thing as u,unluckily,i couldnot repair it ,so i bought a new one,this one is not a blackberry.i am really afraid of the same problem happens again.i bought one with quad band,java,wifi and windows 6, it is cool i think.i bought it online, i am satisfied with it .http://www.shoppinglucky.com
    12-21-09 03:21 AM
    You still are covered by warranty so it might be best to allow their poor customer service to try.
    Bell does not repair phones anymore. They will not open up the Tour. They will send it to RIM under warranty and takes +/- 4 to 6 weeks to get it back.
    Many have done it themselves at their own risks and have been successful. Apparently the Curve trackball works like a charm on the Tour ( if you dont mind getting a white ball)

As to Bell CS .... Eh, no comment!

12-21-09 08:36 AM
    I replaced mine using an 8830 trackball (originally suggested in another thread in this forum). So far, so good.

It voids the warranty (there is a white film or coating over one of the screws inside that will unavoidably come of when you remove the screw).
    12-21-09 08:46 AM
    is it really that hard to use the search button on this site? this has been covered so many times
    12-21-09 09:16 AM
    is it really that hard to use the search button on this site? this has been covered so many times
    New CB member, only 9 posts. They dont know.
    12-21-09 09:26 AM
    I just got my Tour Trackball fixed under warranty with Bell. It took around 4 weeks to get it back. I had no problem waiting, I purchased a 9700 to replace it. The trackball works exactly how it should now. Good Luck!
    12-21-09 10:17 AM
    Verizon replaced my phone. BTW, after the 30 days.
    12-21-09 10:28 AM
    I just got my Tour Trackball fixed under warranty with Bell. It took around 4 weeks to get it back. I had no problem waiting, I purchased a 9700 to replace it. The trackball works exactly how it should now. Good Luck!
    Nice inexpensive temporary replacement, there
    12-21-09 10:50 AM
    sorry off topic but hows the 9700 with the new network compared to the Tour,I should be receiving mine anyday.
    12-21-09 11:07 AM
    sorry off topic but hows the 9700 with the new network compared to the Tour,I should be receiving mine anyday.

Muchos better.
    12-21-09 11:10 AM
    Well aren't you just clever? Why would you even bother wasting your time to write that post? Did you accomplish anything? (Just wondering). I'd rather not bump an old thread.

Anyways...

GG1 is right, and I don't want to wait 4-6 weeks to have my phone repaired.

So the 8830 trackball is the way to go? I'm assuming colours don't matter?
    12-22-09 09:01 PM
    Is it really that hard to ignore this post and not comment on it if you do not want to help? No?? That's what I thought.

Happy Holidays
    12-22-09 09:07 PM
    Well aren't you just clever? Why would you even bother wasting your time to write that post? Did you accomplish anything? (Just wondering). I'd rather not bump an old thread.

Anyways...

GG1 is right, and I don't want to wait 4-6 weeks to have my phone repaired.

So the 8830 trackball is the way to go? I'm assuming colours don't matter?
    If you decide to replace your trackball (voiding the warranty, may I remind you... again ) you will need a T6 torx driver (it's very small). Just letting you know cuz I had to drive around to a couple of stores to find one (Menards sells them individually).

Here's the instructional vid I followed:

I just bought the standard off-white 8830 trackball from BB but if you search there are a few places that sell different colored ones.
    12-22-09 09:14 PM
    If you decide to replace your trackball (voiding the warranty, may I remind you... again ) you will need a T6 torx driver (it's very small). Just letting you know cuz I had to drive around to a couple of stores to find one (Menards sells them individually).

Here's the instructional vid I followed:

I just bought the standard off-white 8830 trackball from BB but if you search there are a few places that sell different colored ones.
    Yea I know it voids the warranty, but I only need my Tour to last until november I have a wholeeee bunch of Torx bits so I should be set then! Thanks frame!

What do you mean you bought your trackball from BB though? What does BB stand for? do you mean CB??
    12-22-09 10:11 PM
    Yea I know it voids the warranty, but I only need my Tour to last until november I have a wholeeee bunch of Torx bits so I should be set then! Thanks frame!

What do you mean you bought your trackball from BB though? What does BB stand for? do you mean CB??
    'BB' as in Blackberry.com (I think they had free shipping at the time). You can find the color ones on Amazon but I'm not sure if they're OEM parts.
    12-22-09 11:01 PM
    'BB' as in Blackberry.com (I think they had free shipping at the time). You can find the color ones on Amazon but I'm not sure if they're OEM parts.
    Haha I couldn't find any on the BB site, but I ordered one for 3 dollars (including shipping) off of eBay. I guess we'll see if it was worth it or not
    12-23-09 10:02 AM
    Apparently the Curve trackball works like a charm on the Tour ( if you dont mind getting a white ball)

Lol that will defiantly tell rim and your carrier that the phone was opened. That may even prevent replacement later down the road if still under warranty..
    12-23-09 11:36 AM
    I replaced mine - Its not hard. I know you said you have torx bits, but for anyone looking to buy a set, I bought mine at home depot pretty cheap.
    12-23-09 11:51 AM
    12-23-09 02:29 PM
    has anyone replaced with a color one and had success or failure?
    12-23-09 10:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD