Today I took my Tour in for replacement due to the trackball issues, while in the store the technical rep stated that they have replaced a few Tour's already in the past month due to trackball problems, but the problems are not hardware related but software related. He also went on to further "inform" me that a software update should be released in the next couple weeks to resolve this issue.

Not so sure I believe that because my new Tour has no issues with the trackball, no loose battery door, and I have yet to notice a screen ripple. Checking the packaging, this one was manufactured in Canada, but so was my first one with the trackball and battery door problems.
    08-05-09 09:13 PM
    My first one was Mexico5 and had all the issues.....trackball, screen ripple, loose battery door, and muffled sound. My second one is also Mexico5, and has NO issues at all. I believe a few, maybe more, bad ones got through QC, which pretty much happens with anything that is mass produced like these devices were. Just glad I swapped mine when I did!!
    08-05-09 09:18 PM
    I'm on my 3rd Tour now, each with diff major probs. Mine all been Hecho en Mexico.

Maybe its a software glitch, but I doubt it. Their QC just bl0ws.
    08-05-09 09:20 PM
    I definetly don't believe it is a software glitch, I've installed a couple different version of the hybrid OS and still had issues with my first Tour's trackball. Unless the hybrids have the same driver for the trackball as the default OS I don't see how these problems are software related.
    08-05-09 09:23 PM
    VZW rep tried to tell me the same when I replaced mine. I kindly asked him to type up on vzw letterhead that this was a software issue and that it would be fixed with a software update, and if it wasn't fixed with a software update outside of my 30-day return period that I would still be able to return my Tour for a replacement under the 30-day return policy. I asked him to sign and date it and also to have the store manager sign and date it. I knew it wasn't going to happen, but he abruptly stopped attempting to feed me BS and went into the back to get my replacement.

After 2 hours and 4 boxes, I found the one I wanted
    08-05-09 09:37 PM

Maybe its a software glitch, but I doubt it. Their QC just bl0ws.
    I don't think it's a software glitch, when I wiped my first one to send it back, it would take 4-5 swipes of the trackball sometimes to get it from one icon to the next on the main screen. My new one, does not have this problem, it flows very smoothly. So I'm pretty sure it's a hardware issue that got past QC.
    08-05-09 09:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD