Hello all and a very happy new year!

My verizon tour was stolen while outside the united states. I called immediately and had the service suspended and had the phone reported Lost/Stolen.

Got back to the US today and purchased a new tour (so life is back to normal, its rough without the crack berry in hand)......

I am an *****, because i did not program a passcode/key lock on my old blackberry . (i know, rookie mistake.)

I am just wondering, what damage can be done?? Can the stolen phone ever work again?? I had my emails, contacts, pictures, etc on it?--Can a thief transmit that stuff out?? Or is the main purpose of them stealing my phone is to wipe it and resell??

First time I have ever gotten something stolen. It sucks. Just wondering about how much damage a thief can actually do to me with my electronic property in hand.

thanks guys.

-CB
    01-05-10 02:20 PM
    It seems that they most likely would just wipe your phone, unlock it if they had to and resell it. Your contacts and emails would only be used if it was some teenager trying to be funny and raise ****. A pro would probably want to make any life on that phone disappear so it couldn't be traced quickly to you. I just think that whatever information you had on there you should be o.k.
    01-05-10 02:31 PM
    thanks for the reply.

so even though vzw says the phone is reported "lost/stolen" and that the phone basically can never be used again.......it can still be unlocked and reused under a different owner and number??

thanks.

-cb
    01-05-10 02:34 PM
    thanks for the reply.

so even though vzw says the phone is reported "lost/stolen" and that the phone basically can never be used again.......it can still be unlocked and reused under a different owner and number??

thanks.

-cb
    the phone wont work again the esn will be blacklisted it wont operate again
    01-05-10 02:49 PM
    Where outside of the US did you lose it?

Whatever ever info you had on your device is now fair game.

If you called it in to VZN then it wont be able to be reactivated on VZN again. But that doesn't mean you can't use it on another carrier. There are several ways around this depending on the phone and carrier service.

You might want to check this out BlackBerry App World - BuddyGuard
    01-05-10 04:12 PM
    Hello all and a very happy new year!

My verizon tour was stolen while outside the united states. I called immediately and had the service suspended and had the phone reported Lost/Stolen.

Got back to the US today and purchased a new tour (so life is back to normal, its rough without the crack berry in hand)......

I am an *****, because i did not program a passcode/key lock on my old blackberry . (i know, rookie mistake.)

I am just wondering, what damage can be done?? Can the stolen phone ever work again?? I had my emails, contacts, pictures, etc on it?--Can a thief transmit that stuff out?? Or is the main purpose of them stealing my phone is to wipe it and resell??

First time I have ever gotten something stolen. It sucks. Just wondering about how much damage a thief can actually do to me with my electronic property in hand.

thanks guys.

-CB
    sorry to hear about your phone being stolen! i had my first blackberry curve stolen back in may and it sure is very upsetting. fortunately, i had it locked (phone feature, not the app) and pretty much all my info was protected. i suggest you try that with your new phone although i do have to admit that it is sometimes a pain to keep typing your password to access your phone, but it's better than your private info being in someone's hand. i don't think this protects whatever is in the memory card, so if you have personal pictures or whatever, please keep that in mind.

like someone mentioned before, there are apps where you can track your blackberry via gps, have it make alarm sounds, wipe, etc. this can be something beneficial to you as well, just research what you think will work for you. good luck!
    01-05-10 04:39 PM
    The phone will be blocked by Verizon, but it will likely be able to be used on GSM networks if someone were to unlock it.

And since you didn't have a password, the person who "found" it will be able to see all the data on the device including your contacts, emails, text messages, pictures, etc. Basically anything that wasn't protected by a password.
    01-05-10 05:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD