I'd appreciate any help here:
    I recently upgraded to a non-Verizon os 5.0
    Deleted the vendor.xml file as instructed.
    When official Verizon 5.0 os is (hopefully) released tomorrow, will I have to do anything out of the ordinary to upgrade my phone to the official Verizon os, or will downloading and running upgrade via Desktop Manager be a simple transition?
    Hope you are all enjoying your weekends.
    03-27-10 12:26 PM
    What specific number version of the OS is currently on the device?
    How did you upgrade previously? Via a computer? App Loader? BlackBerry Desktop Manager? Some other method?
    03-27-10 12:39 PM
    Desktop manager will probably show that there is an upgarde ready to be installed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-10 12:47 PM
    When official Verizon 5.0 os is (hopefully) released tomorrow, will I have to do anything out of the ordinary to upgrade my phone to the official Verizon os, or will downloading and running upgrade via Desktop Manager be a simple transition?
    With official upgrades through Desktop Manager, it will automatically backup your data and third-party applications. However, you should still play it safe and do your own backups anyway. I also recommend you install the OS through apploader instead of DM (I'm not sure though if apploader will backup your third-party apps or data for you. Maybe someone else can comment on this?)
    03-27-10 12:58 PM
    Current os .419
    03-27-10 01:26 PM
    Yes the apploader will back up your third-party apps. It will NOT backup non saved MMS messages. Everything else will be backed up. If you back up with the DM it will save your unsaved MMS messages. I always do both a third-party backup with BBSAK and DM.

03-27-10 01:43 PM
    I too share the OP's question. In particular, I wonder if when running a 5.0 leak, it is best to wipe or downgrade to 4.7 before installing the official VZ 5.0. I am currently runnng .230 that I installed via apploader. Will someone share some advice? Thanks.
    03-27-10 02:25 PM
    I too am running a non-verizon OS 5 on a verizon device.

What I will do, which is what I always do when upgrading or downgrading an OS, is backup all my stuff myself, do a complete wipe, followed by a clean install.

It might take a bit longer, but at least I am assured there is nothing funny going on with any "left over" stuff from the last install.
    03-27-10 02:52 PM
    There is no need to downgrade to the 4.7 You can either do a wipe with BBSAK or just upgrade as usual. I always use the app loader rather than using the DM for loading OS. I guess everyone has there own way of doing it but this way works best for me. Just remember to back up. Make sure you clear your browser. Delete cache and delete cookies. And you should have no problems.

03-27-10 03:05 PM
    If you have installed the program to load the other OS, I believe you need to delete that file from the Program Files folder BEFORE installing the 5.0 OS program loader from Verizon. Someone please comment if I am wrong.
    03-27-10 11:00 PM
    I too share the OP's question. In particular, I wonder if when running a 5.0 leak, it is best to wipe or downgrade to 4.7 before installing the official VZ 5.0. I am currently runnng .230 that I installed via apploader. Will someone share some advice? Thanks.
    Backup > Wipe > Install. It never fails.

(well, maybe sometimes it does, but it probably wouldn't be your fault)
    03-27-10 11:08 PM
    how do u know the official is being released tomorrow?
    03-27-10 11:56 PM
    It's been announced that Verizon is releasing 5.0 tomorrow.
    03-28-10 06:09 AM
    With out knowing what version VZW is going to put out, this may be hard to answer, but...

Ive got a stable version of 5.0 running already. What would the advantages of going to the official version be? Im happy with my OS now (.484 I think), should I bother going to VZWs official version, or stick with what ive got?
    03-28-10 07:41 AM
    I'm fairly new to BB (first upgrade coming up with VZW 5.0). Question: Because I'm on BES, will I also get the upgrade along with everyone else, or does it depend on when my IT dept. decides we get the upgrade (i.e., when they install BES Server 5.0)?

Thanks!
    03-28-10 08:37 AM
    OS updates do not happen automatically. The user must choose the update, download it and install it.

In a BES situation, you should check with your administrator.
    03-28-10 08:41 AM
    OS updates do not happen automatically. The user must choose the update, download it and install it.

In a BES situation, you should check with your administrator.
    I guess that's what I was getting at: will I see the upgrade on my DM on Tuesday morning like everyone else, or is it dependent upon my IT guys releasing it? I tried the Sprint 5.0 version for a few weeks but downgraded back to 4.7 due to some lost functionality (like being able to accept/reject calendar invitations) which I assume is because we have not upgraded our BES server to the level which will permit the client to take advantage of the new functionality.

Thanks!
    03-28-10 08:46 AM
    Did they announce a time that I was being released? And can't I install it via wireless uodate, OTA no desktop manager needed?

03-28-10 09:59 AM
    This will by our first official OS upgrade where I work. It will be interesting figuring out how to push out the upgrade via the BES.

That being said, gwhizkids, it depends on how your IT guys have the policy set up if you'll see it or not. There is a setting to disallow any updates unless pushed through the BES, or to allow the carriers to push the updates.

At my workplace, I have it set up that only the IT guy's can do upgrades on their Berrys right now so some industrious user doesn't screw things up and give us more work. Depending on the options we have after it comes out, that policy may change.
    03-28-10 06:34 PM
    I have already been running a hybrid 591 on mine. Took longer to find the 591 os than it did to download it and then to download driphters hybrid. Once I did the upgrade the os version shows 566. Not one complaint so far. However if verizons 591 gets rid of the 160 character limit on sms messages then I will gladly give up my hybrid. Until then I'm keeping it and will not be goin back to verizons official 591 release

03-28-10 08:14 PM
    Verizon OTA upgrades are usually painless, knock on wood.
    03-29-10 01:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD