I was wondering what the newest official OS is for the Tour? I have 4.7.1.40 I have some minor problems and would like to get a newer OS if possible to try and fix them. I have heard about a 4.7.1.43 is this real? Also what is a hybird OS? I have seen posts about people running hybrids, but what are they? Thanks for the help!
    09-10-09 11:45 AM
    4.7.1.40 is the only official VZW release. The 4.7.1.42 is a leaked os that fixes a few glitches but it is still pretty bad. If I were you I would download the official 4.7.1.40 and install on your computer and then go to bbhybrids and download irtehun's 5.2.1 hybrid. You will think you have a brand new phone! SO MUCH BETTER. I can help you if you need. Just send me a PM.
    09-10-09 11:48 AM
    You have the latest official OS. Look in the forums for 4.7.1.42, that’s a solid leaked OS if you're not yet brave enough to mess with hybrids. Hybrids are just a like mix a different OS from which the guys take the best parts and make one OS you can install. Most folks think hybrids make their devices run better and you can get feature from different OS. I would suggest you try the 4.7.1.42 to get familiar with the process and work your way up to hybrids. It can be fun but frustrating but lots of us like to tinker.
    Welcome to Crackberry!
    09-10-09 11:56 AM
    a new official updatw should be out on the 15th. .42 its also the one thats leaked on here.

.42 is very very stable and no problems what so ever
    09-10-09 01:08 PM
    So if I do put an unofficial OS on my phone is there a way to back up my phone and keep the other OS around in case there are problems? Or if I work my way up to hybrids is there a way to protect the old OS in case of failure?
    09-10-09 02:38 PM
    Also is it easy to switch around and see which hybrids I like?
    09-10-09 02:41 PM
    So if I do put an unofficial OS on my phone is there a way to back up my phone and keep the other OS around in case there are problems? Or if I work my way up to hybrids is there a way to protect the old OS in case of failure?
    dont do the hybrids.. they suck

you can back your phone up using desktop manager and hitting the option that says backup.

if you upgrade to the .42 or 5.0 OS and later want to downgrade again, all you have to do is open desktop manager up again and hit the option the downgrade back to .40
    09-10-09 02:46 PM
    that is referred as upgrading and downgrading your os. there is a tutorial in blackberry 101 on this site. Everytime I upgrade or downgrade I create a backup and the process is super easy. The hybrid process only adds one extra step.

First thing you need to do is download the official 4.7.1.40 from this site or from bbhybrids. Install that on your computer. Then dl the 5.3 hybrid from irtehun on bbhybrids. install that on your computer. when it is done a program called shrink os pops up. For you I would check the box at the very top center that says install in the folder. Check select all next to languages. Then you can check anything else you don't use. For you I would leave everything else alone until you get comfortable and learn what each thing does. Click shrink. When that is done. Click the run loader or loader.exe button. Viola you are done!
    09-10-09 02:50 PM

you can back your phone up using desktop manager and hitting the option that says backup.

if you upgrade to the .42 or 5.0 OS and later want to downgrade again, all you have to do is open desktop manager up again and hit the option the downgrade back to .40
    With all due respect I have to disagree with you, I am not one of those guys that talk about hybrids all day, however irtehun's hybrid made me a believer. After some noob installation questions I am loving 5.0 and would reccomend it to anyone that doesn't use facebook or bbm.

P.S.
    There is a hybrid version 4.7 based that bbm and facebook do work.

Good Luck!
    09-10-09 02:55 PM
    I am not one of those guys that talk about hybrids all day
    guilty as charged
    09-10-09 02:58 PM
    When I click the lauch loader.exe it brings up the app loader, but do I have to select the OS from somewhere? I tried it and it doesn't just load it.
    09-10-09 04:14 PM
    so you loaded 4.7.1.40 first and then loaded the hybrid and then clicked launch loader.exe and nothing happened?
    09-10-09 04:27 PM
    make sure your bb is plugged into your computer usb and click the loader.exe again. it may take a second, but it should pop up and load the os on your phone. if it doesnt go to:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader.exe
    09-10-09 04:31 PM
    I already had 4.7.1.40 but should i load that first and then load the hybrid?
    09-10-09 04:31 PM
    if you already had 4.7.1.40 installed on your computer than you shouldn't have to load it again, but I usually reinstall the stock os everytime and click repair before I install a hybrid. I didn't realize you already had 4.7.1.40 installed on your computer
    09-10-09 04:34 PM
    Sorry I didn't have it on my computer just my phone I did that and it appears to be working. Will it show the hybrid OS when I go to "about" in the options?
    09-10-09 04:39 PM
    I disagree. I have been running the 5.0.140 hybrid since about a week after getting my Tour. Love it. It smokes my girlfriends 4.7 Tour in every way, well except Facebook usage. Which I don't care about. Never had even the slightest hiccup with it.
    09-10-09 04:40 PM
    Everyone has an opinion about hybrids. The best thing you can do is try it out and see for yourself.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-09 04:42 PM
    Sorry I didn't have it on my computer just my phone I did that and it appears to be working. Will it show the hybrid OS when I go to "about" in the options?
    You have downloaded the 4.7 software and hybrid to your PC right?
    09-10-09 04:46 PM
    With all due respect I have to disagree with you, I am not one of those guys that talk about hybrids all day, however irtehun's hybrid made me a believer. After some noob installation questions I am loving 5.0 and would reccomend it to anyone that doesn't use facebook or bbm.

P.S.
    There is a hybrid version 4.7 based that bbm and facebook do work.

Good Luck!
    My BBM5 works great on 5.0.0.140
    09-10-09 04:51 PM
    Sorry I had it on my phone not computer. I think it is working though. Will it show the hybrid OS in the "about" screen in options? Also how do I reload the original OS if I so choose to do that? Thanks so much for all the help too, I'm new to BlackBerry and everything awesome they can do!
    09-10-09 04:58 PM
    I'm pretty sure I just re installed 4.7.1.40 on my phone?
    Last edited by kschaefer3; 09-10-09 at 05:07 PM.
    09-10-09 05:05 PM
    delete the BB .40 software off your PC. DL the new .42 from www.bbybrids.net. Then DL the Hybrid from there also. Make a backup using desktop manager (Im assuming you have this). open and Install .42. Open and Install hybrid. Shrink OS will pop up. Delete stuff you never use, like Voice activated dialing, foreign languages etc. Hit the shrink my OS button. Then hit the launcher button. Pretty much done.
    09-10-09 05:20 PM
    go into options>advanced>applications>options>modules

if you see 5.0 a bunch of times in the list that you did it right. you should also notice that after a battery pull the phone reboots in about 3min 30 sec. A hybrid will build speed after a day or so of normal use. Let me know what you think
    09-10-09 05:25 PM
    definitely didn't work it put my .40 back on. i'm going to try again though
    09-10-09 05:38 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD