Sounds like bunk to me, but this is how it went....

I called Verizon because the trackball scrolling was starting to be a little more than a minor annoyance. The rep I spoke to immediately asked if it was the left to right scrolling I was having issues with. Of course, it is. He proceded to tell me that it was a known issue with RIM (this I knew) and that it was most likely a software issue.

I proceeded to explain that from research I've been doing, I believe it to be a hardware issue. He said that is also possible (this seems more likely to me). He told me that I could either wait a few weeks for a software upgrade, or they could exchange it for me.

Of course I opted to have them send me another Tour, with hopes that this one won't carry the same trackball issues with it. But, has anyone else heard of this possibly being a software issue??
    11-15-09 03:21 PM
    So there's gonna be an os upgrade is a few weeks?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-09 03:24 PM
    Was vertical scrolling fine but horizontal scrolling wacked? It's a hardware problem. With the same OS on a new "Green Dot" Tour, I had no problems whatsoever. Search this subforum for Green Dot and you will see the discussions.
    11-15-09 03:39 PM
    Yes. It was the horizontal scrolling. I am aware of the discussions surrounding the "green dot" tour, and the trackball issues being hardware related. I was just curious as to if anyone else was told, or has heard anything, about this being a software issue. Also wanted to see if anyone else has heard anything about a software update happening in the next few weeks. Just curious that's all. I did do my research before posting a thread, but I can only go through so many search results before my eyes can't take it anymore. So, if there is anything regarding a software issue in regards to the trackball already posted, I do apologize.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-09 03:45 PM
    Didn't mean to sound "search the forum" snippy. I had the same problem back in July. I was told that a software update would be released to fix the problem. The date promised came and went. The trackball got worse and worse. I was on vacation for a week and not near a Verizon and by the end of the week, I had to scroll left to move right and vice versa.

I think the "software update" line is used to discourage returns from those who are unsure if they really have the problem. I went to a store and had them confirm and note my account. VZW promptly shipped me a green dot which was a new Tour. The trackball has been 100% since.
    11-15-09 04:40 PM
    It is not a software issue. I took mine into a store this past week. They took one look at it, said it was a known issue, and immediately ordered me another one. I got a green dot refurb, but it looks almost like new. There is definitely a difference in the feel of the trackball. I can hold my original Tour and roll the trackball, then pick up the replacement, and there is a difference. The whole trackball operation just feels smoother on the replacement.
    11-15-09 07:34 PM
    THere is a variable that it can be caused by software. This why they should try to sensitivity setting to 70 and 70. If this does not work, then it hardware. More times than not, a replacement is needed.

I have my tour from day one. Mine a stuck a couple of times, but a good shot air fixes it everytime. THis tells me its dirt.
    Last edited by lastraid; 11-15-09 at 08:03 PM.
    11-15-09 07:41 PM
    verizon reps have been saying the the trackball issues are software related and an update is coming out in a few weeks since launch. i've even been told by a vzx rep that the fix already went out??!! they r all misinformed as far as im concerned. i only get my real bb news here at cb!
    11-15-09 07:55 PM
    In my situation, I was initially told it was software and then I was called back and told it was a hardware problem. Told I should swap at a corp store. I went there and it we pre-green dots and the salesperson candidly told me that it was a "known issue." He said that I should wait for the green dot before swapping. Noted my account. Called me back when they were in the warehouse to arrange a convenient time for shipping. All in all, I've been very happy with Verizon CS.

But.. if they're still saying it's a software issue and a pending update will fix it, then you reached a bad apple.
    11-15-09 08:07 PM
    I actually have a very similar issue. Here how it started.

I have always have problems going to a middle of sentence in email to change a letter or what have you. But brick breaker was fine, so I thought - oh this is just a BB Tour thing I thought.

I tried it on wifey's curve and scrolling to the middle of sentence works great. I thought mmmm- So my charger died, I went and VZW first said call RIM if you want the world charger version, otherwise here is a basic US one. In the end she pulled one from a bad tour and I now have a working charger again. Anyways, I then thought lets look at the Droids (I think its a great phone - and would have got one instead of the Tour). After goofying around with the Droid, I thought lets try if this email scrolling thing on a demo Tour at the store it worked... And it had no issues with brick breaker. I then tried my brick breaker and moving left to right was no smooth at all (I don't play brick breaker very much). I spoke with the VZW tech rep at the store. She said it was a software issue and there would be a new version before the end of the year. I could wait or get a replacement. Her test was the BB Browser - I am not sure how that tests it. I said I would wait...

The track ball was a little different on the demo. It was a bit more raised. I think I will call in for a new one... But there is software coming - she said it was OS 5.

So do OS 5 folks have trackball issues ?
    11-16-09 03:02 PM
    It's not a software issue...RIM has redesigned the trackball assembly in response to all of the problems with July and August build Tours. They wouldn't have done that if it wasn't a hardware issue.
    11-16-09 03:31 PM
    PR stunt, that is all...
    11-16-09 04:09 PM
    i have the same problem with my tour, the horizontal scrolling is messed up. does anyone know if verizon would exchange it for a new one even though ive had it for a few months? also, i bought mine at bestbuy because it was cheaper at the time, would verizon know?
    11-16-09 04:49 PM
    Call this number from a landline phone - 18664065154. I just called Friday and they're sending me a like new replacement. They aren't fresh out of the box, but you won't tell the difference. Should have no defects, no scratches, issues fixed, etc. People seem to want a NEW Tour, but a like new device is the same crap, you won't be able to tell the difference. I've had my phone since July btw. They gave me no problems in sending me out a new one. Tell them you are having issues and you are aware of the problem, that you played with your sensitivity levels, and cleaned it to no avail.
    11-16-09 05:09 PM
    thanks willyg
    i just called and my tour is on the way. hopefully this one will not have any problems...
    11-16-09 05:57 PM
    thanks willyg
    i just called and my tour is on the way. hopefully this one will not have any problems...
    It's a temporary fix...
    11-16-09 06:02 PM
    I bought a Verizon Tour from Craigslist and sure the trackball is defect, I replaced it with 1 I order from ebay for 99 cents and it works nicely for last 2 months and it looks pretty too with pink color trackball
    11-16-09 07:18 PM
    It's a temporary fix...
    You don't know that. The majority of people with new build Tours and "green dots" have trackballs that have been working fine. It isn't a temporary fix. And it says you have a Pre, so go over there ->>>>
    11-16-09 07:51 PM
    You don't know that. The majority of people with new build Tours and "green dots" have trackballs that have been working fine. It isn't a temporary fix. And it says you have a Pre, so go over there ->>>>
    That's the beauty of this, time will tell. I don't have to prove anything. I got rid of my Tour, which I did own.

But by all means, send all your PMs to willyg44's inbox since he vouches for the Tour's trackball stability.
    11-16-09 07:53 PM
    No, reality. Try again.

PR stunt, that is all...
    11-16-09 09:00 PM
    It isnt a software issue. It is purely hardware related. I had my trackball replaced in my Tour today at a Sprint store and it works flawlessly.
    11-16-09 09:05 PM
    I had a vzw tech tell me that it was software on my hubs Tour. After a few minutes of going back and forth and then almost making her cry, she sent him a replacement. He has had that one for over a month and its still perfect...

Software issue my foot!
    11-16-09 09:38 PM
    Definately not software related. I replaced my Tour trackball and dropped the old one into my Pearl to see what would happen. Same thing, wouldn't scroll horizontally without feathering it and increasing the sensitivity.
    11-21-09 01:48 AM
    It is not a software issue. I took mine into a store this past week. They took one look at it, said it was a known issue, and immediately ordered me another one.
    The truth of the matter is some can be software related and some hardware related. Reps, are just like car dealers. Take your car to one dealer and he will say this. Now take your car to another dealer and he will say something completely different. The reps at the counters are reps, not repair men. They will say anything to look good even if they have no clue what they are even talking about. Just how it is. Give your phone to a rim tech and you will know for sure..
    11-21-09 02:24 AM
    Well, I did get the "new" Tour up and running as of this past Thursday. Got the replacement one they sent me on Wednesday. Promptly called them because this "Certified Like New" replacement, was not close to "like new" at all. (Not sure who certified that one, but the convenience keys stuck in everytime they were pushed). Called VZW again and they overnighted this one to me. Works great! Looks brand new and everything is perfect. For me, it was definitely a hardware issued. The trackball on this one feels totally different. Now I can be truly 100% thrilled with my Tour.
    11-21-09 08:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD