So I have been playing with friends droids for a while now and love them. Was just at a verizon store and was ready to get one and get rid of my tour. Salesman asked why i wanted one I said I love google integration, i love all the apps and toys you can get with it and all the potential of apps in the future.

his response... yea, but no push email...

I left with tour still in hand
    11-30-09 03:03 PM
    AFAIK, imap email isn't technically push email, and I still get it within 15 seconds. Sooo are you sure the Droid can't do THAT?
    11-30-09 03:05 PM
    friends with droids say it takes up to 15 minutes...blackberry is as close to push as it gets, no one else seems to be even close yet
    11-30-09 03:12 PM
    friends with droids say it takes up to 15 minutes...blackberry is as close to push as it gets, no one else seems to be even close yet
    I'm not trying to get you to switch from the Tour to a Droid because I got a Tour myself and love it....and I don't know how the Droid works. Haven't messed with it one bit but if setting up email is someone the same on the Droid as it is on a Berry then all you would have to do to get emails instantly on the phone is change the protocol from POP. Did this with my Hotmail on Sunday and I went from getting emails in 15-30 minutes to getting them within seconds.
    11-30-09 03:16 PM
    I'm not trying to get you to switch from the Tour to a Droid because I got a Tour myself and love it....and I don't know how the Droid works. Haven't messed with it one bit but if setting up email is someone the same on the Droid as it is on a Berry then all you would have to do to get emails instantly on the phone is change the protocol from POP. Did this with my Hotmail on Sunday and I went from getting emails in 15-30 minutes to getting them within seconds.
    Doesnt work that way. Blackberry servers watch for new email messages, and as soon as one arrives, they push it to your phone. Android uses IMAP, which is good, but isnt the same thing.

I do know that gmail now offers the activesync exchange protocol for mobile devices, free. That's true push. And that's available now. Whether android supports exchange or not, I dont know.

About a year ago I switched to a Nokia E71, which supposedly was a blackberry replacement. You don't know what you've got till its gone, and getting instant email, all the time, is gone when you use something else.
    11-30-09 03:49 PM
    Nothing can nor will ever compare to a blackberry. Just remember that
    11-30-09 04:14 PM
    seriously... whos going to even know what a droid is in a year?? I'm willing to bet we will still know what a Blackberry is in a year
    11-30-09 04:19 PM
    I wouldnt go for the droid, at least not yet. The droid is a motorola phone, and no offense to motorola fans out there- I used to be one, but their phones are made like junk last couple of years. I would wait for a good android phone for verizon before leaving the blackberry . To be honest, the only way im getting out of a blackberry is if the iphone comes out and still I dont know if I would get that.. just my .02
    11-30-09 05:17 PM
    apples and oranges i don't know why people compare these phones.
    11-30-09 09:15 PM
    Just fyi- Droid does indeed have push gmail and exchange.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-30-09 09:41 PM
    I guess that is handy if you have gmail. For those who do not, and do not use exchange, BIS+Blackberry is better than Android and Gmail. I will look at Android devices when they figure out how to ship them with a real keyboard.
    11-30-09 09:49 PM
    seriously... whos going to even know what a droid is in a year?? I'm willing to bet we will still know what a Blackberry is in a year
    Not a good comparison. In one year the Android OS will be well known.

11-30-09 09:51 PM
    Funny, they said that last year.
    11-30-09 11:13 PM
    Gmail is push, all others are fetched which can take any where from 10-30 minutes for the email to arrive.I set it for 5 min interval on hotmail yet it was taking much longer. The KB are horrendous and typing on the touch screen was a chore so I returned in two weeks.

11-30-09 11:34 PM
    I was honestly going to trade my tour tomorrow for a moto droid and after reading user reviews and friend takes on the droid I'm gonna stick with my tour... Just downloaded some themes for it and feels like a new phone... I text a lot about 5000 times a month and they told me the keyboard absolutely sucks and nothing compared to the tours... Apps its cool to have yes but I have to much time working and texting lol... And if its the web broswer that got you in download the bolt browser... Its just as fast as the droids trust me I know I compared the two

12-01-09 12:59 AM
    For some reason on my hotmail account, it sometimes takes up to 20min. Yahoo and gmail is pretty much instant.
    12-01-09 06:20 AM
    I switched to the droid from the tour and i have yet to look back yet. i would try it before you knock it.
    12-01-09 06:31 AM
    Droid = Hemorrhoid in my E-mail.
    12-01-09 06:31 AM
    I wouldnt go for the droid, at least not yet. The droid is a motorola phone, and no offense to motorola fans out there- I used to be one, but their phones are made like junk last couple of years. I would wait for a good android phone for verizon before leaving the blackberry . To be honest, the only way im getting out of a blackberry is if the iphone comes out and still I dont know if I would get that.. just my .02
    Yes, because we know how well the last few BB's have been built (stuck trackballs, stiff/stuck screens, buttons falling off, uneven screens, loose trackpads. I could go on.).
    12-01-09 06:38 AM
    Yes, because we know how well the last few BB's have been built (stuck trackballs, stiff/stuck screens, buttons falling off, uneven screens, loose trackpads. I could go on.).
    you have really got to stop trolling these forums. If you think a Motorola phone has better quality then a Blackberry, you are very mistaken.

for as much as you claim to hate blackberry, you are on this forum A LOT.. gee, I wonder why.... stupid trolls
    12-01-09 07:02 AM
    you have really got to stop trolling these forums. If you think a Motorola phone has better quality then a Blackberry, you are very mistaken.

for as much as you claim to hate blackberry, you are on this forum A LOT.. gee, I wonder why.... stupid trolls
    Which part of what I said is false?
    12-01-09 07:18 AM
    Never had an issue with my Tour. I guess you're gonna claim that every Droid is perfect, right?
    12-01-09 07:27 AM
    Never had an issue with my Tour. I guess you're gonna claim that every Droid is perfect, right?
    That's not 'what I'm saying. You wanna bash Motorola for build quality, when there are countless threads in here that raise serious questions about RIM's quality control. You're blind if you can't see that.
    12-01-09 07:35 AM
    YEAH! Bearkat, Why don't you go troll around in some of those many forums they have for that great phone you have like Crack-a-Rola or Crack-a-Zoid or Crack-a-Roid. No push e-mail piece of sh*t.
    12-01-09 09:57 AM
    YEAH! Bearkat, Why don't you go troll around in some of those many forums they have for that great phone you have like Crack-a-Rola or Crack-a-Zoid or Crack-a-Roid. No push e-mail piece of sh*t.
    Haha! I own a BB also, clown!
    12-01-09 10:02 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD