Hi again everyone.
    I'm going to try the Tour with Verizon.
    I'm eligible for the $50 credit from my old BB upgrade.
    If I would buy the Tour on a one year contract, do you know if the $50 credit would still apply?
    Also, if I went with the one year contract and wanted an Essex when it comes out, then I wouldn't have to wait.
    Looking online, the 2 year contract price is $150 and the one year is $220.
    Any thoughts?
    - Dave
    10-23-09 11:47 AM
    Yes, you will be able to use your $50 credit on either one or two year upgrades. A one year contract is more expensive, but it allows you to upgrade your phone at the upgrade price significantly earlier than it would be on a two year contract.
    10-23-09 12:05 PM
    My understanding with the NE2 (New Every 2 Years) versus annual upgrade is that the NE2 is the only option that offers a rebate. If you go annual upgrade, you get promotional pricing, just no rebate. When the rebate used to be up to $100, it was worth it to wait the extra 6-8 months that you had to wait to for early eligibility. With today's revised NE2 policy, you are only getting up to $50 off, so I question whether it's worth it to wait anymore. I believe you are eligible for annual upgrade at 13 months and NE2 at 20 months. The revised policy may be 18 months, but that's still waiting 5 months to save $50. A product sale can cover the difference in probably less time. Just look at the Tour. It was already out at $50 less than the starting price, within 60 days on the market.

To answer your question directly, I'd imagine that VZW would honor the $50 upgrade. It's just in your future purchases, you wouldn't get the rebate on the 1 year contract.
    10-23-09 12:13 PM
    In my area ATT is very poor and the others are not even worth mentioning so I have little interest in switching. Verizon has always offered all four of my lines an opportunity to upgrade at the one year mark sometimes even a month or so before said mark. I would suggest you make your decision based on your comfort level as a Verizon customer. Also food for the the Early Termination Fee is prorated so after a year it would be about 100 buck or so. This means that the discount for a 2yr is essentially paid back to Verizon and you are out of the contract and free to switch carriers. Finally if you sign a 2yr contract and wait to years to upgrade you will be eligible for the new every 2 discount which would be either 50 or 100 dollars based on your account level I think.

Hope that helps

The Acousticfish
    10-23-09 12:17 PM
    Finally if you sign a 2yr contract and wait to years to upgrade you will be eligible for the new every 2 discount which would be either 50 or 100 dollars based on your account level I think.

Hope that helps

The Acousticfish
    That was the old plan. It changed in 2009. You don't get $100 anymore, unless you haven't upgraded prior to the change. With all new upgrades after the change date, you only get $50. The $100 may still be applicable to "dumb phone" upgrades, like the Dare or Env 3, but the revised policy is for smart phone purchases. Speaking of Verizon only, don't know about other carriers.
    10-23-09 12:28 PM
    That was the old plan. It changed in 2009. You don't get $100 anymore, unless you haven't upgraded prior to the change. With all new upgrades after the change date, you only get $50. The $100 may still be applicable to "dumb phone" upgrades, like the Dare or Env 3, but the revised policy is for smart phone purchases. Speaking of Verizon only, don't know about other carriers.
    Not true as I said it depends on what account type you are. Verizon VIP customers are eligible for a 50 dollar discount on the primary line annually and a 100 dollar discount every two years. Depends on what kind of account you have with them. By the way VIP is easy to be, you just have to have a big enough plan and stick around for a bit.
    10-23-09 04:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD