I'm a college student and will be going abroad in China from September to December. I've heard about being able to purchase a local SIM card to put in my phone, and also that Verizon has an international data plan that I could also use. Which would be easiest/most convenient for my situation? Thanks for the help!
    03-15-10 02:02 PM
    I've been to Korea and Germany with my Tour.

Get the international Data Plan for only the days your going to be there.
    Get a local calling card for voice calls.
    03-15-10 02:13 PM
    I've been to Korea and Germany with my Tour.

Get the international Data Plan for only the days your going to be there.
    Get a local calling card for voice calls.
    +1

I'm doing the same thing. This worked splendidly in Costa Rica last year (albeit EDGE instead of 3G).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with Verizon you need the $64.99 or $69.99 plan (they accidentally switched me to the BES data plan [$49.99] instead of the unlimited international plan). A call to customer service fixed it, but I don't want to go through that again.
    03-15-10 02:21 PM
    FYI for Verizon -- GlobalEmail
    03-15-10 02:23 PM
    FYI for Verizon -- GlobalEmail
    Yea 69$ plan. I usually call ahead to global support and give them the dates of when and what country I'll be and go from there. Haven't had any issues yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-15-10 02:40 PM
    if your phone is unlocked, you can just buy a China Mobile prepaid SIM for phone/sms, but i don't know about its data options. if you really must have data while you're there, then you'll have to talk to Verizon about roaming, I believe it's an extra ~$30 per month for international data (data only).
    03-15-10 03:01 PM
    if your phone is unlocked, you can just buy a China Mobile prepaid SIM for phone/sms, but i don't know about its data options. if you really must have data while you're there, then you'll have to talk to Verizon about roaming, I believe it's an extra ~$30 per month for international data (data only).
    Usually local calling cards are still cheaper than prepaid Sims not to mention most peoples Tours aren't unlocked.

03-15-10 03:07 PM
    Can someone answer how incoming calls work when on international travel with the 69 dollar verizon plan? I only want to use data, and have no intention of taking or making voice calls. What happens if someone calls me, and I don't answer. Is there a fee for just getting my phone to ring? What if someone leaves me a voicemail?

I guess the overall question is are there any fees associated with unanswered calls while overseas?

Thanks,
    Brian
    03-16-10 12:29 PM
    It rings like normal.

I usually hit the ignore button when this happens. There is no charge.
    even if they leave you a vm there is no charge unless of course you check the vm with the phone.

i usually just check it with my alternative means of communication.
    03-16-10 12:36 PM
    I'm like you a college student who is currently traveling abroad. I'm on a world tour but I was just in china for two weeks. I got the international data plan for sixty some dollars a month and it worked out just fine in china. I don't use text or calls just data. And in china I never had 3g but it got the job done. I was in Beijing datong Shanghai hong Kong xian and I never had any issues. Just make sure you change your network technology to gsm when you get over there and it will work no issues. I got two texts when I got there saying welcome to china this is a free message and it told me about roaming support and crap like that. If you do get a call or text just don't answer or open it and you won't get charged. Hope you have fun in china it is a great awesome place but I was def ready to Leave after two weeks because I was sick of Chinese food lol.

03-16-10 01:03 PM
    . . .even if they leave you a vm there is no charge unless of course you check the vm with the phone.
    I wonder how this works with visual voicemail, where you don't dial in to retrieve the voicemail. Instead, VV is a file, which you can forward or archive without listening to it. Can anyone say whether they were charged for accessing VV while out of the country?
    03-16-10 01:08 PM
    yeah no clue on that since i don't use VVM.
    03-16-10 01:13 PM
    Hey guys, I got the Storm 2, and I'm going to China in a couple of days for two months. I was planning on using a local sim card and the wifi for data. I don't want to pay the crazy prices for the international features. Is there anyway to suspend data plan in the USA while I'm overseas? That's $60 down the drains while I'm over there. Thanks.
    05-28-10 07:08 PM
    Activate another phone on your line that's just an older Verizon phone.
    05-28-10 07:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD