Hey there,

Right now, I am on Sprint and using unlimited data plan only, no voice because I am deaf. I am planning to go to UK this summer 2010 and I would like to use data plan in UK. Does they offer pre-paid sim card for data plan only or should I get World Wide data only plan from Sprint and pay 70 dollars??? And I am fairly new to this, never brought oversea and would not like to get over charge bill, haha

Thanks if you can help me out!
    Sam
    12-21-09 10:08 PM
    If the Sprint plan for travel is like the Verizon Global Plan, you pay about $69 per month but stop paying the normal rate of $30 month. So it costs and extra $40 for use in Europe.

I have read but don't know - that using local sim cards can sometimes NOT include a data plan. So you really need to check out Sprint's offering and then make sure you can find a sim card with data for Scotland.

Enjoy the trip.
    12-22-09 12:07 AM
    I am currently using my Sprint Tour in Oxford, England. Sprint's international unlimited data plan costs me $40 per month. I am not quite sure where you got the $70 figure from. I don't believe that it is actually possible to buy a SIM card for data only. I bought a T-Mobile SIM card here in Oxford, and it is almost useless for data. Therefore, I rely exclusively on Sprint for my data needs, and exclusively on the T-Mobile SIM card for my voice calls.

In a nutshell, be sure to activate Sprint International prior to your departure. It should only cost you $40 per month, which is extremely reasonable. You can also specify how long you will be using it. The cost would then be prorated. For example, if you will be in Scotland for 3 weeks, be sure to specify the date that you want your international plan to be activated, and to be deactivated. Since it is only for 3 weeks in this example, you should get $10 back. I expect that you will be roaming off the Vodafone network as I am. You will also discover that 3G is available on your Tour in the UK.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Barredbard; 12-22-09 at 04:22 AM.
    12-22-09 12:26 AM
    i'm currently paying $40 a month for bb service with sprint. unlimited data, etc...

so if I go to europe, I'd only pay another extra $40 on top of my bill and I'll get everything? data, unlimited text, bbm, etc?
    12-22-09 04:31 AM
    i'm currently paying $40 a month for bb service with sprint. unlimited data, etc...

so if I go to europe, I'd only pay another extra $40 on top of my bill and I'll get everything? data, unlimited text, bbm, etc?
    I went to the UK, France, Germany, Netherlands and Belgium earlier this year and added the $40 a month international plan to my account. As was previously stated it is pro-rated for the time you use it. I had them activate it the day before I arrived and deactivate it the day after I arrived home. I was there for just over 2 weeks so I paid just over $20 for unlimited data, BBM, etc. Also, if you have a corporate discount on your plan the $40 charge will be reduced by that amount as well. It was a great way to stay in touch with family and friends for an extremely reasonable charge.

Unlimited texting is NOT included with this charge. At this time I'm not aware of Sprint having any package for international texts while roaming abroad. It will cost you .05 to receive a text and .50 to send a text. Here is a link:

International Roaming Text Messaging Service for CDMA Customers Inside Sprint Now

Also, I don't believe Sprint allows GPS access overseas. I never could get my GPS to work there on google maps, bb maps, etc.
    12-22-09 09:01 AM
    Forgive me possibly asking a dumb question, but I have never traveled overseas with my blackberry. I understand about the $40 international data services, but what would I do for voice calls so I don't have to pay $1.29 per call, or is there such a thing?
    12-23-09 10:28 AM
    Forgive me possibly asking a dumb question, but I have never traveled overseas with my blackberry. I understand about the $40 international data services, but what would I do for voice calls so I don't have to pay $1.29 per call, or is there such a thing?
    It depends on where you are traveling. There are different rates for different countries. But $1.29 is the most common for western Europe. Below is a link you can use to check out the rates for the countries you will be traveling to with a Sprint phone:

Traveling Internationally

Also, you could buy a pre-paid SIM card to use for voice. Personally, I don't use my phone for voice while traveling abroad. I just use the data. I keep my US number in case family and/or friends need to get in touch with me. In that case I'll eat the $1.29 per minute or whatever the voice rate is for the country I'm in.
    12-23-09 11:10 AM
    In case Verizon folks are also reading, with the Verizon Global Plan the phone costs for Western Europe (don't take it as absolute) are $0.99/minute in/out Europe and to/from US. Without the plan the cost is $1.29 (I think).

If I recall, European plans the call out costs money but not the call receipt.

As tazman noted, if you don't use the phone much, the costs won't be terrible. When we were in Italy this summer, even with the Global plan we kept calling to a minimum for 99 cents. My friend called his wife for about 7 minutes and we made reservations about 3 times in choppy Italian. It was worth that approx $10.00
    12-23-09 12:13 PM
    It depends on where you are traveling. There are different rates for different countries. But $1.29 is the most common for western Europe. Below is a link you can use to check out the rates for the countries you will be traveling to with a Sprint phone:

Traveling Internationally

Also, you could buy a pre-paid SIM card to use for voice. Personally, I don't use my phone for voice while traveling abroad. I just use the data. I keep my US number in case family and/or friends need to get in touch with me. In that case I'll eat the $1.29 per minute or whatever the voice rate is for the country I'm in.
    That really helps out and that is what I was thinking about just using it for data and eating the cost per minute if I need to. I appreciate the help!

12-23-09 05:51 PM
    I am currently using my Sprint Tour in Oxford, England. Sprint's international unlimited data plan costs me $40 per month. I am not quite sure where you got the $70 figure from. I don't believe that it is actually possible to buy a SIM card for data only. I bought a T-Mobile SIM card here in Oxford, and it is almost useless for data. Therefore, I rely exclusively on Sprint for my data needs, and exclusively on the T-Mobile SIM card for my voice calls.

In a nutshell, be sure to activate Sprint International prior to your departure. It should only cost you $40 per month, which is extremely reasonable. You can also specify how long you will be using it. The cost would then be prorated. For example, if you will be in Scotland for 3 weeks, be sure to specify the date that you want your international plan to be activated, and to be deactivated. Since it is only for 3 weeks in this example, you should get $10 back. I expect that you will be roaming off the Vodafone network as I am. You will also discover that 3G is available on your Tour in the UK.

This help me a lot! Thanks for clarify! How soon do you have to let Sprint know that you are leaving for oversea?
    12-23-09 06:01 PM
    This help me a lot! Thanks for clarify! How soon do you have to let Sprint know that you are leaving for oversea?
    At least 24 hours advance notice is what they request.
    12-23-09 06:08 PM
    I went to Japan in October for 3 Weeks, and San Salvador in November for a week. Both times got the Blackberry world service turned on ($40 per month) and they prorate it for how long you actually use it. I can even tell them a time to start and when to turn it off and they will turn it off/on for you. Worked great in both locations. Voice calls in both locations were $1.99 per minute but I didn't use the phone that much.
    12-23-09 07:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD