I've just received a replacement Tour from Asurion, and am running into issues upgrading the device to the latest .230 hybrid...or to .230, or ANY 5.0 OS period.

On my computer, I already have the .230 base OS installed...however, just to be safe - I re-installed a fresh copy and rebooted the machine.

Using DM 5.0, 4.7, 4.6, 4.5 AND AppLoader - I have been unsuccessful each and every time at getting the software to recognize that .230 is installed on the computer. The vendor file has already been deleted. I have disconnected WiFi (so that desktop manager does not see any updates in the cloud) and have also tried AppLoader several times, all to no avail. I will also note that I know you can right click AppLoader and select 'Open as Admin', however this option is not possible with my current config...using a macbook running bootcamp and windows XP...there is no admin account, so when selecting Administrator, there is no password to enter, therefore I receive an error message with 'login failed' when attempting that route. And no, I am not running into this problem because I am using a mac running bootcamp...I've installed dozens of OS's using this route in the past....so just to get that out of the way first !

Desktop Manager (all versions) does see that .230 is installed, however after selecting the local installation - there is absolutely nothing to install...and DM is sitting there with a blank white screen telling me there are no updates.

I am starting to lose my mind - I am a seasoned vet at this...have probably installed over 100 OS's on multiple phones in this past year alone, all without a hitch...sure I've gotten the occasional 502 as we all have...but I cant even get far enough in this case to even produce a 502 error lol. I have re-read every single OS install guide I could find here, for review...and have covered all bases at this point.

Obviously, I am missing something...feel free to jump in and shoot with some questions...I am dying here!! Going on day three without my CB Thx guys
    11-06-09 02:55 PM
    ALSO, I have managed to update the phone to the latest official Sprint OS through DM5.0, using the automatic update feature....so that worked just fine...but the local installation is simply NOT. ERRRR!!!
    11-06-09 02:56 PM
    You do have the vendor file deleted correct?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-06-09 03:06 PM
    yep-mentioned in the op

You do have the vendor file deleted correct?

11-06-09 03:12 PM
    anyone else have any ideas??
    11-06-09 03:57 PM
    Sure....

Go into the App loader within the OS and run it from there...forget about using DM

Should be in Programs ~ Common ~ Research in Motion ~ Shared ~ Loader
    11-06-09 04:56 PM
    ive already tried this, as mentioned in the OP...using DM or app loader, i am getting the same message. "no new software" its not seeing the .230 install for whatever reason. curently .230 is the only OS installed on the machine, and i have wiped it clean, rebooted, reinstalled, and still no luck

Sure....

Go into the App loader within the OS and run it from there...forget about using DM

Should be in Programs ~ Common ~ Research in Motion ~ Shared ~ Loader
    11-06-09 04:59 PM
    Ive still got nothing...where you at cereal, 12many, etc etc....
    11-06-09 07:58 PM
    umm yesterday i had the same issue, i ended up downloading .230 again from another host because i kept getting the error with the previous one.. dont know if that was the exact problem but it worked..

anyway, try restarting your computer a few times, after a while DM picked it up but said only for subscribed blah blah

so i downloaded that bbsak, wiped the BB, and was good to go from there, hope this helps
    11-06-09 09:14 PM
    Shoot me the link you used...I used one of the more common Rapidshare links floating round here...I can't imagine thats the problem, but am willing to give it a shot.
    11-06-09 10:22 PM
    I just had this same problem, wound up downloading "Black Berry Master Control Program", link was buried in the hybrid os section, program is free and is intimidating to me because it appears that it is designed for programmers and others with high skill levels. Long story short, I down loaded it and it has the ability to let you store multiple OS versions on your computer, you plug in, it already knew where my OS was, i selected it and it let me choose features I did/didn't want and in bottom left hand side of screen it had a button that made it start up. I have since uninstalled the program because it seems it was not allowing DM to work (it never would recognize phone) otherwise I could look right at it. Cool program that I will keep for changing things around, hope this helps.
    11-06-09 11:58 PM
    When I updated my Tour, it ONLY recognizes the 5.0 software when I right-click on the blue BB Desktop Manager icon and click Run As Administrator.

I never have to delete the vendor file, BTW!
    11-07-09 12:19 AM
    Yeah, ive read that has helped many people....ive never had to delete the vendor files, or ever had a problem installing an OS..ever...i had to give up...the phone just dosent want 5.0 heh.

When I updated my Tour, it ONLY recognizes the 5.0 software when I right-click on the blue BB Desktop Manager icon and click Run As Administrator.

I never have to delete the vendor file, BTW!
    11-07-09 08:14 AM
    i was trying to upgrade as well for a week, tried deleting xml and then deleted the actual old 9630 files from recent upgrade and it work, it wouldnt let me delete old OS's from the control panel but off the home screen and it installed! now my computer will not recognize the usb port any suggestions! please pm me
    11-07-09 09:42 AM
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

sorry for the delay, just uploaded it to megaupload
    11-07-09 09:50 AM
    Your computer wont recognize ANYTHING in the USB port,or just your berry??

and Yaw, thanks for the link...am going to bookmark for future use...didnt actually end up needing to redownload. After I finally got this phone activated, I switched back over to Windows and App Loader immediately saw .238 ... very bizarre!!! i swear, these things just have a mind of their own some times...I didnt do anything differently than before, so I cant imagine what the **** the problem was the first like 5 hours I tried loading .238 on the phone....weird.

now my computer will not recognize the usb port any suggestions! please pm me
    11-07-09 03:13 PM
    mconk: you may have some loader files from previous OS's floating around on your machine that's confusing app loader/DM. Delete all OS version's installed on your computer. Then, reboot your computer and go to: Drive C/Program Files/Common Files/Research In Motion/Shared/Loader Files and delete all loader files (if there are any). Then reinstall .230 on your computer and try to update your device using app loader. I personally never use DM to update my OS.

Oh...and don't forget to delete vendor file.
    11-08-09 01:53 AM
    11-08-09 01:58 AM
    Thanks for the reply - I actually had done this already, to no avail. I have no idea what did the trick, but after booting back into windows later that day, the install went through without a hitch. Very bizarre...but thanks still!

mconk: you may have some loader files from previous OS's floating around on your machine that's confusing app loader/DM. Delete all OS version's installed on your computer. Then, reboot your computer and go to: Drive C/Program Files/Common Files/Research In Motion/Shared/Loader Files and delete all loader files (if there are any). Then reinstall .230 on your computer and try to update your device using app loader. I personally never use DM to update my OS.

Oh...and don't forget to delete vendor file.
    11-08-09 02:23 PM
    Thanks for the reply - I actually had done this already, to no avail. I have no idea what did the trick, but after booting back into windows later that day, the install went through without a hitch. Very bizarre...but thanks still!
    Yeah, that is kind of weird. Well, I'm glad it worked out for ya.
    11-08-09 03:17 PM
    Mconk, I ran into this exact problem last night upgrading my wifes tour to .230. I found a workaround that may work for you. I installed shrink a os and ran it to remove language files and such then used the loader button in there to launch loader and it worked that way. Would not work at all from dm or by using loader in the os folder.

NVM missed the part in your last post where you finally got it installed. Will leave it here for others searching the forum. Glad ya got it worked out.
    11-08-09 04:44 PM
    Mconk, I ran into this exact problem last night upgrading my wifes tour to .230. I found a workaround that may work for you. I installed shrink a os and ran it to remove language files and such then used the loader button in there to launch loader and it worked that way. Would not work at all from dm or by using loader in the os folder.

Hmmmm...thats weird because you're just using the app loader either way.
    11-08-09 05:00 PM
    That is weird...but I guess anything is possible. I did try clicking the loader button from shrink-a-os when I was originally struggling to get the install to go through ... App loader would launch and go through the checklist, but after connecting to the JVM, it only listed like one app in the upgrade screen...I think it was email settings or something along those lines. That's it though, there was no OS listed, no apps, nothing. Clicking continue, it would then say "no updates available". I eventually gave up and went back to it later that night...and it went through just fine. As 12MAny suggested, I think there may have been some files from a previous OS install or something floating around the hard drive (even though I deleted them and rebooted). Who knows!

I thought for a second that it was because the phone hadn't yet been activated...but I upgraded to the latest official sprint OS before activation with no issues...so idk! Best thing to do when having issues like this is delete all existing OS's from your computer, do a fresh install, reboot and go from there...thanks to everyone for the tips!

11-08-09 05:13 PM
    Funny you mention this - I was helping a friend install a hybrid for the first time last night, and he ran into this issue as well. No matter what he tried, he couldn't remove previous BB OS's from his computer using add/remove programs...I was giving him instructions online, so couldn't really help him any further as I couldn't see what exactly the issue was. But he claimed when plugging the tour in, DM wanted to load the storm OS...and app loader wouldn't launch period for him. Bizarre. He reverted back to .230 and now his computer won't recognize the tour at all. Did you get this resolved yet?

i was trying to upgrade as well for a week, tried deleting xml and then deleted the actual old 9630 files from recent upgrade and it work, it wouldnt let me delete old OS's from the control panel but off the home screen and it installed! now my computer will not recognize the usb port any suggestions! please pm me
    11-08-09 05:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD