Did a search and could not find anything on this, so I pose this question for the gurus here. I am currently running 5.0.0.591 (4.2.0.284) (on a BB 9630, Verizon) and just got a notice on phone of an available upgrade to 5.0.0.591.(4.2.0.272). I am a bit puzzled by this and not sure what to do. Should I just ignore this. It seems to want me to downgrade, but just not sure. Help>
    05-26-10 06:58 AM
    I'm pretty sure that's the MR2 upgrade. I would just forget it entirely and go to .643.
    05-26-10 10:52 AM
    If you want a straight OS and not a hybrid, go with .419, .484 or MisterObvious's favorite, .643.

Dump .591 as fast as you can and don't look back. If you do, you may turn to a pillar of salt. (Remember Lot's wife)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-10 10:57 AM
    While MisterObvious' response was more directed and appropriate i'll say that leaving .591 all together also means you LOSE PTT if you're using it as it is currently only support on .591(272 or 284 platform).

If you wanna go old school, go back BEYOND .419, roll back to .191 or .230.
    05-26-10 11:04 AM
    I guess my response was somehow inappropriate. I loved straight .419 when I ran it. It is far better than .591.

OP didn't say anything about PTT.

05-26-10 11:10 AM
    Yeah, I am running PTT (beacuse my 3 daughters have it and made me do it). I guess I will just ignore the push for the upgrade. If I ever did want to change, is there a link to .643? I have asked before about a link and never got a response. Thanks to all.
    05-26-10 11:13 AM
    Yeah, I am running PTT (beacuse my 3 daughters have it and made me do it). I guess I will just ignore the push for the upgrade. If I ever did want to change, is there a link to .643? I have asked before about a link and never got a response. Thanks to all.
    If you're going to stick with .591, then I would do the upgrade. It's not the platform upgrade that is bad, it's .591 period.

The reason I said run from .591 is because it has a bad memory leak, poor battery life, an occasional white screen of death, and the weird MMS sound bug.

I can't help you with a working download for .643.

I'm sure helljack6 has some good recommendations for a good hybrid with working PTT. He's a hybrider and has probably tried many different combos.

05-26-10 11:43 AM
    If you're going to stick with .591, then I would do the upgrade. It's not the platform upgrade that is bad, it's .591 period.

The reason I said run from .591 is because it has a bad memory leak, poor battery life, an occasional white screen of death, and the weird MMS sound bug.

I can't help you with a working download for .643.

I'm sure helljack6 has some good recommendations for a good hybrid with working PTT. He's a hybrider and has probably tried many different combos.

The upgrade push you're receiving is actually a fluke. .591 (build 277) was the first release of .591 VZW with PTT working. .591 (build 284) was the "patched" version so if you're running .591/284 you have the more recent version to begin with and don't need to do anything. As far as hybrids goes, I built a hybrid called Death's Head based off .591/284 that combines the speed, PTT, and stability of a ton of different OSs, most of the people that I know are running it really enjoy it.
    05-26-10 12:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD