So if one of the service books causes it to be unable to update the PRL why not just delete the service books and resend? Any idea which one causes the issue?

I'm willing to be a guinea pig, to track it down.
    11-01-09 06:41 PM
    I did the #4357* and I have PRL Version "0".
    Is that good or bad? I have the 9630 with OS 5.0.0.230.
    And if I go into options>Update Preferred.. My bb reboots.
    I resent my service books and still have PRL version "0".
    Follow the steps mentioned earlier in this topic to reinstall .230 without restoring your Service Books.
    11-01-09 09:18 PM
    I've had the same problem with "Update Preferred List" rebooting my Tour. I thought that I could circumvent it and call CS for an update. It worked, I called CS back and my phone later revealed a PRL of 60655.
    I had to reset the phone after deleting an app and now my PRL shows as 0. I guess I'd better reload without backing up the Service Books.
    11-01-09 09:34 PM
    Did calling CS actually get you the latest PRL?
    Yes, it did! Apparently, just provisioning the phone successfully through Mobile Network was not enough - I called *2 and got an automated message (instead of the usual Sprint prompt) that my PRL list was being updated and that the phone call will automatically disconnect (which is what happened) and will require a reboot. I did not reboot but went ahead and checked the PRL and, presto = 60655 Running 4.7.1.61
    Last edited by dohturdima; 11-02-09 at 07:31 AM.
    11-02-09 07:24 AM
    Yes, it did! Apparently, just provisioning the phone successfully through Mobile Network was not enough - I called *2 and got an automated message (instead of the usual Sprint prompt) that my PRL list was being updated and that the phone call will automatically disconnect (which is what happened) and will require a reboot. I did not reboot but went ahead and checked the PRL and, presto = 60655 Running 4.7.1.61
    Well it should work for you...
    11-02-09 08:13 AM
    I reinstalled .230 without backing up the service books, and it loaded fine and it updated to PRL 60654. But after a reset due to loading an app, my signal went to crap again. I checked and once again I show PRL 0. Anyone have an idea what I could do now?
    11-02-09 11:33 AM
    I did the #4357* and I have PRL Version "0".
    Is that good or bad? I have the 9630 with OS 5.0.0.230.
    And if I go into options>Update Preferred.. My bb reboots.
    I resent my service books and still have PRL version "0".
    Resending service books wont fix this problem. You need to reinstall the OS, but this time dont restore service books from backup file.

I reinstalled .230 without backing up the service books, and it loaded fine and it updated to PRL 60654. But after a reset due to loading an app, my signal went to crap again. I checked and once again I show PRL 0. Anyone have an idea what I could do now?
    Options/Mobile Network/Menu Key/Update Preffered List
    11-02-09 11:55 AM
    Thanks TheBiles and 1 2 MaNy.
    I guess this weekend I'll be loading OS 5, maybe I'll try a hybrid.

But can I ask either one of you or anybody else
    that can answer what is prl and what does it do?
    I've been following this thread, but I guess I must have
    missed it or something!

I been running OS 5 for a couple of weeks and haven't
    seen any problems (besides the ones that programs don't
    work with OS 5) that I know of anyway.
    Thanks again, guess I'm still learning (which is a good thing)
    11-02-09 03:40 PM
    1 2 Many,
    Thanks for the help. I tried to update through the Mobile Network options and the first time I attempted it my phone rebooted itself. After reboot, I attempted it again only to get the message, "Your preferred network list could not be updated. Please try again later. If the problem persists, contact your wireless service provider."

Should I call CS and see if that would fix it, or start from scratch and reload the OS. If the latter option, I may just go back to the stable release even though I love the threaded SMS and layout of the options.
    11-02-09 04:34 PM
    bump......
    11-02-09 07:41 PM
    You have to reload the OS without restoring the Service Books. No reason to revert back from 5.0, you just need to install the proper way.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-09 09:26 PM
    Thanks for the response TheBiles,

I restored without Service Books prior to my previous post just as you instructed the OP. Even after that I ran into the problems with the Update Preferred List as I stated previously. Is there anything else when doing the advanced backup that I need to leave out in addition to the service books? Could that be the problem?
    11-02-09 09:35 PM
    Are you sure you followed the instructions exactly? Did you wipe the device before installing?
    11-03-09 07:28 AM
    Yes,
    I uninstalled the OS from my computer first (even checked the folders to make sure) then downloaded the new OS. Got that installed. Did a custom backup step-by-step the way 1 2 Many described previously in the thread, then wiped my phone with BBSAK 1.7. I installed the new OS with App Loader and then used DM to do a Custom Restore. That is what I did that brought me to the point of question to 1 2 Many. Any ideas?
    11-03-09 07:48 AM
    1 2 Many,
    Thanks for the help. I tried to update through the Mobile Network options and the first time I attempted it my phone rebooted itself. After reboot, I attempted it again only to get the message, "Your preferred network list could not be updated. Please try again later. If the problem persists, contact your wireless service provider."

Should I call CS and see if that would fix it, or start from scratch and reload the OS. If the latter option, I may just go back to the stable release even though I love the threaded SMS and layout of the options.
    Yeah, it sounds like service books got loaded from backup file, so I would start from scratch and reload the OS. MAKE SURE YOU DON'T REINSTALL SERVICE BOOK DATABASE FROM BACKUP FILE! Lol

If that doesn't work, then you have an app or something conflicting with the OS's manual provisioning options.
    11-03-09 10:50 AM
    Yes,
    I uninstalled the OS from my computer first (even checked the folders to make sure) then downloaded the new OS. Got that installed. Did a custom backup step-by-step the way 1 2 Many described previously in the thread, then wiped my phone with BBSAK 1.7. I installed the new OS with App Loader and then used DM to do a Custom Restore. That is what I did that brought me to the point of question to 1 2 Many. Any ideas?
    What all are you reinstalling from backup file?
    11-03-09 10:51 AM
    Should I be able to get the latest 60655 PRL running the stock .57 OS? I've tried the 'update perferred list' in mobile network options and it says update complete...but I am still at 60654. TIA
    11-03-09 12:21 PM
    Generally, when your question has nothing to do with the subject of the thread (PRL updating), you ask it by starting a new thread after doing a search to see whether your question has already been answered. It's just basic consideration for others who are doing searches/ looking for answers on topic and finding something completely different/ not relevant to their search.
    And while we're explaining these sorts of things in a friendly environment, it would also be good to point out that most internet forums follow this same rule. For people new to message boards, it takes a while to figure out what has developed into good manners in this unfamiliar environment.

Fortunately, crackberry is (usually) a pretty friendly place. A good, safe place to discuss these things.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-03-09 12:35 PM
    Ok, I started all over again. Uninstalled the OS through Windows Control Panel, then went thru the Common Files folder to make sure it was gone. I then installed OS 5.0.0.230 from here :RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

Then I wiped my phone using BBSAK 1.7. Loaded the OS choosing these portions:
    Blackberry 5.0.0 System Software
    Blackberry 5.0.0 Core Applications
    Browser
    Email Setup Application
    Phone

Then I did a custom restore with only these items:
    Address Book
    Autotext
    Browser Bookmarks
    Calendar
    Calendar-All
    Message List Options
    Options
    Phone Call Logs
    Phone History
    Phone Options
    Quick Contacts
    SMS Messages
    Sounds
    Theme Settings

After a reboot due to doing a restore I checked the PRL. Still shows 0. Then I went to the mobile options to do a PRL update. Yet again, unable to update error message. I have not yet installed any 3rd party apps, so that is not the issue.

After all of that, I am still stumped. I apologize for taking up everyones time with this and I appreciate any and all help.
    11-03-09 09:11 PM
    Current Sprint PRL is 60656 now.
    11-03-09 09:51 PM
    The key that looks like this.

lol nice
    11-03-09 09:58 PM
    Current Sprint PRL is 60656 now.
    Yep,, finally got mine to update to 60656 after a few tries, battery pulls, changing settings...etc. Not sure what I gained.. download speeds are about the same.
    11-03-09 11:33 PM
    For sh*ts and grins, I used the Mobile Network Options to Update the PRL. It gave me 60656. I did a battery pull to see if it would stick. Nope, reverted back to 0. Just one more thing to confuse and frustrate me more.

edit: I tried another PRL update and it gave me 60656 again. I guess that I'll just have to do an update everytime my phone reboots or I need to do a battery pull.
    Last edited by hurdleman48; 11-04-09 at 10:40 AM.
    11-04-09 10:36 AM
    Thanks for the tip guys - I have not previously heard of this, and was just able to successfully resotre a backup file to a new device (without the sb's) and was successfull in updating the PRL manually. Excellent!

Just a quick time saving tip - when restoring the files to your phone, you do not need to use the ">>" arrow and transfer the files over one by one.

You can select each and every file you want to transfer over by pressing and holding the control button, while clicking on the item you want to transfer.

OR, you can select the first item, scroll down to the last, and while pressing the shift key, select the last item. Now, scroll up until you see the SB, press and hold the control key, and deselect the SB entry. From there you can transfer everything over in one click.

Thanks again for this tip - this was a huge help...while updating the PRL manually was a great way to reboot the device (as quickpull is not yet working) it was still very annoying as well.
    DO NOT load service book data back onto device!
    11-07-09 03:22 PM
    You aren't going to see much of anything really - this i mostly a behind the scenes type of thing...you may notice that you now have better service coverage in areas where you had little to no service and/or were roaming...then again you may notice nothing at all. Probably the latter. I am sure someone, somewhere is going to notice an improvement in areas that were previously low-coverage...but obviously its going to be hard to know for certain if the update is going to affect you at all. For example - updates could be made throughout several areas in many different states, but not your particular neck of the woods...therefore, update has no effect on you, UNLESS you end up travelling through one of the areas that just recently received an update...then obviously you'll benefit from having the latest update HOWEVER youll have had no idea that the area your in was previously a low-coverage area/roaming area, and are actually benefitting...heh...make sense?

Yep,, finally got mine to update to 60656 after a few tries, battery pulls, changing settings...etc. Not sure what I gained.. download speeds are about the same.
    11-07-09 03:30 PM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD