i did some some searching on the forums and couldn't find the answers to my questions, so i hope someone knows the answers.

I was wondering once your Tour is unlocked, if you have to re-install your OS or upgrade your OS, do you have to unlock your phone again? This can get very annoying if you do. Also, if you have to unlock it every time you reload the OS, is their a way to find out what code you used to unlock your phone so you don't have to call your carrier (in my case it's verizon) to get your unlock code again?

Thanks in advance for your help
    07-22-09 10:57 AM
    Once the phone is unlocked it is unlocked even if you reinstall and os/delete the os/etc.
    07-22-09 11:18 AM
    Out of curiosity, what exactly does unlocking your phone do to it that isn't on the OS level? What exactly does it do?
    07-22-09 11:21 AM
    Unlocking the phone allows you to put in any SIM card and use it on a GSM network. Say you go overseas, you can buy a prepaid SIM card and pop it in the phone for much lower rates than if you used the Verizon SIM card that came with your phone. Unlocking it would also allow you to use the Tour on AT&T or T-Mobile here in the US, granted you wouldn't have 3G.
    07-22-09 11:27 AM
    Unlocking the phone allows you to put in any SIM card and use it on a GSM network. Say you go overseas, you can buy a prepaid SIM card and pop it in the phone for much lower rates than if you used the Verizon SIM card that came with your phone. Unlocking it would also allow you to use the Tour on AT&T or T-Mobile here in the US, granted you wouldn't have 3G.
    I understand that, but what does the process of unlocking your phone do to the internal parts and code of your phone? where/What settings does it change that it isn't overwritten with an OS change?
    07-22-09 11:39 AM
    No it shouldnt change anything. The instructions are pretty simple. From my understanding, its the same as the Verizon storm ( On how to input your unlock code ).
    See if this helps

1) Need a SIM card inserted into the phone
    2) Click on manage connections, select turn all connections off
    3) Go to Settings Menu, Options, Advanced Options and then SIM Card.
    4) Hit the menu button and select show keyboard
    5) Type in mepd using the keyboard (nothing will show on screen)
    6) Type in mep2 another screen pops up for the code
    7) Enter the code, remember you ONLY have 10 chances to get it right
    8) Press the enter key
    9) A message will appear saying code accepted
    10) Turn device off, insert SIM of your choice if have not done so already
    11) Turn the phone back on
    12) Go to Options, then Mobile Network, on the third row switch it to GSM/UMTS and you're done.

Issues:
    1) If you have issues with the phone not recognizing the network, make sure the radio is on by making sure it is not low on power.
    2) Sometimes the phone requires you to do "m e p p d" instead of "m e p d" and if that occurs, you will need to do "m e p p 2" instead of "m e p 2"
    3) If you have issues with the network not working after you have finished and the phone isn't low on power, switch from Global to GSM to Verizon a few times (keep on doing) and after 3 times of the process completed, leave it on GSM. Should work now.

Removing "Activation Required" on the screen:
    1) On the main screen of the phone, press ##000000
    2) For the Mobile Directory Number, put in your phone number in there.
    3) After you have done that, press the menu button to save the options and the phone will automatically restart

Issues:
    1) If you have issues with the phone not recognizing the network, make sure the radio is on by making sure it is not low on power.
    2) Sometimes the phone requires you to do "m e p p d" instead of "m e p d" and if that occurs, you will need to do "m e p p 2" instead of "m e p 2"
    3) If you have issues with the network not working after you have finished and the phone isn't low on power, switch from Global to GSM to Verizon a few times (keep on doing) and after 3 times of the process completed, leave it on GSM. Should work now.

Removing "Activation Required" on the screen:
    1) On the main screen of the phone, press ##000000
    2) For the Mobile Directory Number, put in your phone number in there.
    3) After you have done that, press the menu button to save the options and the phone will automatically restart
    07-22-09 01:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD