Just unlocked my Sprint Tour.

I'd like a prepaid SIM from another carrier as a backup. I'm sure it's a lot of personal preference, but any recommendations of a prepaid SIM (ATT or TMobile)?

UPDATE: Purchased ATT prepaid SIM and works great.

Thanks.
    Last edited by maddsquabbz; 08-07-09 at 08:10 PM.
    08-07-09 11:49 AM
    I have a prepaid T-mo SIM in my jailbroken iPhone. You should research the subject of which of the two (ATT vs T-Mo) have the better service/network coverage in the areas you are most likely to use the phone, price/value etc and make your decision based on this.
    08-07-09 02:05 PM
    I have a prepaid T-mo SIM in my jailbroken iPhone. You should research the subject of which of the two (ATT vs T-Mo) have the better service/network coverage in the areas you are most likely to use the phone, price/value etc and make your decision based on this.
    same here with tmobile, iphone..did you get mms working on it yet?

i dont remember what tmo charged me, but i know my att ppd sim(in the storm currently) card was free and all i had to pay for was minutes
    can only make phone calls and send texts on ppd tho.
    08-07-09 02:13 PM
    thanks for the replies. I got a free ATT SIM and purchased $25 of airtime. I'll see if I can get it working. If not, only $25 down drain and i'll try TMO.
    08-07-09 04:55 PM
    thanks for the replies. I got a free ATT SIM and purchased $25 of airtime. I'll see if I can get it working. If not, only $25 down drain and i'll try TMO.
    SIM works great. Dropped in, did battery pull, changed mobile connections and immediately worked. Tested in/outbound calls and text messaging.

Purchased 64k ATT prepaid SIM.
    08-07-09 05:13 PM
    the little window that pops up is kinda cool "the last transaction cost you $x. you remaining balance is $x"
    08-07-09 05:15 PM

Purchased 64k ATT prepaid SIM.
    64k?

10 char
    08-07-09 05:16 PM
    I purchased a Tmo prepaid sim and it works, didn't purchase a data plan for it as using it only as emergency use in-case I'm in the area without vzw or sprint coverage(which does happen in the boondocks of Texas).
    08-07-09 06:14 PM
    the little window that pops up is kinda cool "the last transaction cost you $x. you remaining balance is $x"
    yes, was pretty cool when I test the text and said it cost $0.20 and $24.80 remaining.
    08-07-09 07:46 PM
    64k?

10 char
    You know for the network capabilities. Went from 16k - 32k - 64k - 128k. From other posts, only 64k and 128k work on the Tour.
    08-07-09 07:56 PM
    You know for the network capabilities. Went from 16k - 32k - 64k - 128k. From other posts, only 64k and 128k work on the Tour.
    must be tour specific? that was the first ive heard of it, i read a few other posts about it and dont completely get it. where would i find that k number on the card itself?
    08-08-09 02:10 AM
    must be tour specific? that was the first ive heard of it, i read a few other posts about it and dont completely get it. where would i find that k number on the card itself?
    no way to really know by looking at it. Using rough time estimates and basic assumptions, if 5+ years old, then probably 32k. If SIM purchased new within past few years, then probably 64k. 128k SIMs are brand new and I don't know any US carrier that made the switch to 128k.

I spoke with ATT and they said all their phones are 64k.
    08-08-09 10:04 AM
    how are you guys getting the ATT SIM free? and dont you have to use whatever mins you buy within 30days?
    08-08-09 10:09 AM
    how are you guys getting the ATT SIM free? and dont you have to use whatever mins you buy within 30days?
    The expiration period is based upon your balance. Some are purchasing $100 to keep them valid for 1 year. I just did the $25 first to make sure it worked, then will probably do $100. Here's the expiration period for ATT prepaid SIMS:

under $25 is 30 days
    $25 - $75 is 90 days
    $100 is one year

The SIM is free as long as you purchase $25. I decided to go that route versus buying the $39.99 phone and adding minutes. I had no need for the phone.
    08-08-09 10:17 AM
    The expiration period is based upon your balance. Some are purchasing $100 to keep them valid for 1 year. I just did the $25 first to make sure it worked, then will probably do $100. Here's the expiration period for ATT prepaid SIMS:

under $25 is 30 days
    $25 - $75 is 90 days
    $100 is one year

The SIM is free as long as you purchase $25. I decided to go that route versus buying the $39.99 phone and adding minutes. I had no need for the phone.
    cool thanks for the info.. i'd probably grab a $25 card too
    08-08-09 11:20 AM
    I am the reasonably happy owner of an 8830 WE, looking to upgrade to Tour in a couple of months.... Meanwhile, with my 8830:

(1) Sprint unlocked SIM (or it was already) without controversy; but
    (2) GSM frequency support is only for rest of world, not US/Canada.

Sounds as if with the Tour:

(1) Sprint readily unlocks SIMs; and
    (2) quad-band (is it?) GSM frequency support means US/Canada GSM carriers are optionally available for use(?)!

Please confirm, as this could be a key selling point for me to hasten my upgrade.

Particularly, I spend 10 days / month in Canada, and currently have to roam with Sprint's Canada package -- even with which, I'm spending tens of dollars per month extra on voice and data up there.

Regarding this, does anyone know which carrier(s) in Canada have some SIM available and reasonable data / voice rates? AND, do I need to exercise caution about getting a SIM from a company with explicit BlackBerry Network support, or do any work (for push e-mail, BBM and the like)?

Thanks!
    08-08-09 11:22 AM
    I am the reasonably happy owner of an 8830 WE, looking to upgrade to Tour in a couple of months.... Meanwhile, with my 8830:

(1) Sprint unlocked SIM (or it was already) without controversy; but
    (2) GSM frequency support is only for rest of world, not US/Canada.

Sounds as if with the Tour:

(1) Sprint readily unlocks SIMs; and - YES
    (2) quad-band (is it?) GSM frequency support means US/Canada GSM carriers are optionally available for use(?)! YES and YES

Please confirm, as this could be a key selling point for me to hasten my upgrade.

Particularly, I spend 10 days / month in Canada, and currently have to roam with Sprint's Canada package -- even with which, I'm spending tens of dollars per month extra on voice and data up there.

Regarding this, does anyone know which carrier(s) in Canada have some SIM available and reasonable data / voice rates? AND, do I need to exercise caution about getting a SIM from a company with explicit BlackBerry Network support, or do any work (for push e-mail, BBM and the like)?

Thanks!
    please see above
    08-08-09 12:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD