I am leaving for Greece in 2 weeks and wanted to take my Tour with me so I called up Verizon for the unlock code. The first CS had no idea what I was talking about so he transferred me to tech support. I spoke to someone at tech support and he had to transfer me to another department. Once I was at the right department I gave the CS my sim card number and two minutes later she gave me the code to unlock my Tour. I never thought it was going to be that simple, I was ready to pay for my code.
    07-14-09 06:58 PM
    I guess I am stupid but what does unlocking the phone do?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-09 07:28 PM
    I guess I am stupid but what does unlocking the phone do?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    It basically unlocks the GSM side of the phone allowing you to use a SIM card from another oversee's carrier or even another GSM Carrier such as Tmobile or ATT.
    07-14-09 07:30 PM
    There was a card in the box with your Tour that has the direct number to Verizon's International department. That will save you the time getting transferred all over the place. Hope it helps.
    07-14-09 07:34 PM
    There was a card in the box with your Tour that has the direct number to Verizon's International department. That will save you the time getting transferred all over the place. Hope it helps.
    I wish I would have know that before I called, it would of saved me 30 minutes of holding.
    07-14-09 07:43 PM
    So much for Verizon's world class customer service. *rolls eyes*
    07-14-09 07:48 PM
    So much for Verizon's world class customer service. *rolls eyes*
    Just because they didn't understand what he was talking about doesn't make it poor customer service, they dealt with his questions and helped him accordingly. It just took a little longer than necessary.
    07-14-09 07:55 PM
    I sent and email to customer service for my Storm and got the code in less than 24 hours. I will do the same for my Tour.
    07-14-09 08:00 PM
    Just because they didn't understand what he was talking about doesn't make it poor customer service, they dealt with his questions and helped him accordingly. It just took a little longer than necessary.
    Well you don't even have to unlock the phone if you have Sprint so it should have been a needless call anyway.
    07-14-09 08:09 PM
    Well you don't even have to unlock the phone if you have Sprint so it should have been a needless call anyway.
    I have Verizon, and you need to unlock it if you want to use another carrier overseas.
    07-14-09 08:28 PM
    I'm new to the Blackberry scene, so forgive me, but are there any added benefits for unlocking a verizon tour if you're not gonna be traveling outside the US and need to use a different sim?
    07-14-09 08:52 PM
    I have Verizon, and you need to unlock it if you want to use another carrier overseas.
    Verizon should do it for free if you are a member if not you can use Unlock My BlackBerry - Any BlackBerry $17, Storms $25
    07-14-09 08:52 PM
    can anyone confirm is unlocking the tour forced your verizon account to not have the esn change for devices when going through them for unlocking...

I am curious because I kind of want to unlock it but I would like to switch between it and my storm once in a while without a hassle.
    07-14-09 09:10 PM
    I'm new to the Blackberry scene, so forgive me, but are there any added benefits for unlocking a verizon tour if you're not gonna be traveling outside the US and need to use a different sim?

If you ever want to sell your Tour its worth more because they can use it on AT&T and T-Mobile. But besides using it with a different sim not really.
    07-14-09 09:15 PM
    can anyone confirm is unlocking the tour forced your verizon account to not have the esn change for devices when going through them for unlocking...

I am curious because I kind of want to unlock it but I would like to switch between it and my storm once in a while without a hassle.
    One has nothing to do with the other. You can switch as many times as you want.
    07-14-09 09:16 PM

When switching between my unlocked Storm and The Curve. I had to call customer service in order to switch. After the Storm was "locked" again I was able to switch online myself.....so to answer you question. Yes
    07-14-09 09:21 PM
    I just got mine unlocked. I didn't need it unlocked, but I figured it can't hurt just to have it all unlocked in case I ever did need it to be. Is there a way to tell that it definitely worked?
    07-14-09 09:56 PM
    I just got mine unlocked. I didn't need it unlocked, but I figured it can't hurt just to have it all unlocked in case I ever did need it to be. Is there a way to tell that it definitely worked?
    insert a different simcard into your phone to test it out.
    07-15-09 08:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD