I shut off new email message alert, but for some reason my emails are going into the actual account folder, AND the general "messages" folder that have all my emails/sms/etc. I am not getting a notification for it going into my email inbox, but the phone vibrates once the email goes into my general message folder, and i can't seem to find how to shut off the general message alert? Thanks if anyone can help me, I get loads of spam mail on one of my email accounts and i can't have the thing alerted me everytime I get a spam message (thought turning off email alert would fix this but I guess not?)
    07-13-09 11:09 AM
    you can try separating the sms/email inboxes so that your email will have a separate inbox.

this can be done by going into your the general folder, clicking the menu button, going down to options and then general options and scroll through until you get to sms email inboxes and just make it separate, that will give you the ability to change whether or not you'll get a vibrate from an email i would think. It seems to me that it isn't aware it's an email, but just a message, so it's still vibrating.
    07-13-09 11:36 AM
    Tried separating sms from email box and is not working. When I send my self an email (for test purposes) to my blackberry address it goes in my messages folder and the folder next to it which is my blackberry email address folder?

Not sure what's going on? Anyone else having trouble with this?

Michael
    07-13-09 12:10 PM
    Tried separating sms from email box and is not working. When I send my self an email (for test purposes) to my blackberry address it goes in my messages folder and the folder next to it which is my blackberry email address folder?

Not sure what's going on? Anyone else having trouble with this?

Michael
    yep same issue as me. Hopefully someone knows how to turn it off, seems like something that would be happening to anyone that set up emails?
    07-13-09 12:20 PM
    arent all bbs setup that way?

on my curve whenever i get any email to one of the 2 addresses ihave setup, it goes into my folder for that address as well as my message folder
    07-13-09 12:23 PM
    arent all bbs setup that way?

on my curve whenever i get any email to one of the 2 addresses ihave setup, it goes into my folder for that address as well as my message folder
    Yup that is how its supposed to work. When I had two email addresses configured, I would only have the Messages folder on my menu, and click that to read my incoming mail. I would just hide the folders for each individual email account.
    07-13-09 12:46 PM
    Yup that is how its supposed to work. When I had two email addresses configured, I would only have the Messages folder on my menu, and click that to read my incoming mail. I would just hide the folders for each individual email account.
    the emails going into the message folder isn't the problem, that doesn't matter. The problem is when the emails go into the message folder, it triggers an alert, which for some reason I can't shut off, even though I turned off all alerts other than PIN and SMS. Only thing I can think of is the PIN alert is doing it, but I figured that was for the bb messenger. I even shut off the "1st level" alert, even though I'm not even sure what that is exactly.
    07-13-09 12:50 PM
    I'm having the same problem, my SMS and Email are seperate and I still get the sound alert, although the alert is set to silent. Thats my only complaint.

yep same issue as me. Hopefully someone knows how to turn it off, seems like something that would be happening to anyone that set up emails?
    07-13-09 01:02 PM
    Ok, so let me get this straight so I know....I have my sms/mms and email separated...and since what you are saying is even though they are separated under general options they both or all three however you want to look at it, will go into the messages folder. So what I did was move my messages folder into the 2nd screen (whatever the screen is called when you hit the menu/BB button) and now I just have the SMS/MMS folder and then next to it my blackberry email folder then the other 3 apps that will fit on the home screen or main screen whatever....

Does that sound right?

Michael
    07-13-09 01:06 PM
    Re-read my post above

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Not sure if this is intended for me? Excuse my ignorance...I am a first time BB user...still a little confused.
    07-13-09 01:18 PM
    Yea I shut off the PIN alert as well and it's still doing it. There has to be some alert that is still left on, but I specificialyl shut them all off?
    07-13-09 01:39 PM
    Hmm try changing your alert to something random, hitting 'Try it', saving it, and then going and changing it back to silent and hitting 'Try it' again.

My alert sound was off for my BBM messages. It was playing a tune that wasn't what was set in the alert options. So when I finally changed it to something else like the steps detailed above, and changed it back ... the alert was correct. Wonder if this is an OS bug?
    07-13-09 01:41 PM
    Hmm try changing your alert to something random, hitting 'Try it', saving it, and then going and changing it back to silent and hitting 'Try it' again.

My alert sound was off for my BBM messages. It was playing a tune that wasn't what was set in the alert options. So when I finally changed it to something else like the steps detailed above, and changed it back ... the alert was correct. Wonder if this is an OS bug?
    I don't even see an alert setting for "messages", just for email/pin/sms, which I am guessing is probably related to this problem?
    07-13-09 01:52 PM
    Pardon my ignorance. This should straighten things out.

Customize Sound Profiles on the BlackBerry Tour | CrackBerry.com
    07-13-09 01:55 PM
    I don't even see an alert setting for "messages", just for email/pin/sms, which I am guessing is probably related to this problem?
    I was referring to the alert settings for your email, sorry. I have different alerts for Facebook, Email, and BBM that work fine, even though they all appear in my Messages folder. I was thinking this was maybe the same bug that I encountered, so try changing your Email alert settings to something else, getting a test email, and then setting them back to silent and seeing if it works then. Worth a shot!
    07-13-09 02:01 PM
    After messing around with the phone for a bit this is what I found out. If I select the "no alerts" profile it stops vibrating whenever i get an email moved to the "message" icon. But if I am in a normal profile, I can go through each thing and manually turn it to silent and turn off vibrate in options-ringtones/alerts, but it still vibrates with the messages. I need my phone to alert for SMS though so I can't use the no alert profile.

So if the "message icon" alert goes off when you use the no alert profile, but doesn't go off when you manually shut off each alert, what is the magic seemingly hidden setting that I can change myself to get it to stop doing this?

It's highly annoying because my crummy AOL account is also linked to my bberry and I get spam mail every 15 minutes in that account, and although I shut off the email alert, it still does it when the email gets sent to the messege folder, and it's driving me nuts buzzing every 15 minutes!
    07-13-09 02:51 PM
    bump to the top
    07-13-09 05:26 PM
    I am having this same problem and can't find an answer. I do not want my phone to vibrate when I am in vibrate only mode, tried turning it off under Set Ring Tones/ Alerts, but it still doesn't work.
    07-13-09 10:33 PM
    Yeah, my hotmail still vibrates for me too, even though I've told it not to do anything. I wish someone knew how to fix this for us. my phone sits on my desk and vibrates all day when I get hotmail. Help someone... can you please tell us how to get it to stop vibrating for emails if you don't want it too?
    07-14-09 08:36 AM
    Ok after reading up on this I figured it out (more like did what other people said to do that figured it out already though!). When you change the settings under options it doesn't really turn off all the alerts for some reason, even though you set it to. You have to go into sound profiles and make a custom profile, and then manually shut off the alerts you dont want. After I did that it stopped doing it.

Not sure exactly what the alert settings in options do though, even now when I am on my "work" profile with everything set to either off or vibrate, if I go into options-ringtones/alerts, it still comes up as having the ringer turned on and other inconsistent options, even though it's definately set to vibrate.
    07-14-09 09:54 AM
    Yep, That worked. Thanks for figuring that out. It was really annoying.
    07-14-09 10:20 AM
    Hey there, maybe I am missing something but this whole profile thing just doesn't make sense. I understand that in the vibrate profile all alerts will cause the phone to vibrate (phone, sms, mms, email, im, etc...) Basically I want a silent profile that will vibrate on only certain things such as phone, sms, im but not for emails. Is this possible? I can't quite figure out how this can be done. I am coming from Windows Mobile where things like this were quite simple, not sure why RIM made this so complicated. Thanks for your assistance.
    07-20-09 09:49 AM
    Hey there, maybe I am missing something but this whole profile thing just doesn't make sense. I understand that in the vibrate profile all alerts will cause the phone to vibrate (phone, sms, mms, email, im, etc...) Basically I want a silent profile that will vibrate on only certain things such as phone, sms, im but not for emails. Is this possible? I can't quite figure out how this can be done. I am coming from Windows Mobile where things like this were quite simple, not sure why RIM made this so complicated. Thanks for your assistance.
    instead of being in the vibrate profile and changing the alerts to how you want, you need to create a completely new custom profile. Not sure why you can't just go into a premade profile and change a few things, but apparantly you can't because it still alerts you even if you turn off all the alerts in a premade non silent profile.
    07-20-09 09:53 AM
    I'm having the same problem, my SMS and Email are seperate and I still get the sound alert, although the alert is set to silent. Thats my only complaint.
    Had the same problem - you have to set your profile to "normal" - if it is on anything else it will make noise
    07-20-09 02:51 PM
    Confirmed: Same experience as others: "Email always vibrates no matter what changes are made in the built-in profile".
    I upgraded my BB 8330 to a Tour yesterday and can confirm that I am having the same problem. I had the exact same settings on my 8330 and it worked beautifully; I had several alerts that worked fine - SMS, MMS, Messenger, Appointments, Tasks, etc., but I NEVER was notified upon email receipt - my BB would basically be a vibrator if I did that! For the record, and this is important, I did not use a Custom Profile on my 8330.

IMHO, this is a bug in the BlackBerry Tour 9630; here's why
    Based on what I've read in this thread, I would like to definitively suggest to the group that this is a BUG in the BlackBerry Tour. If I had to hazard a guess based on this very small sample, it seems that the bug resides in the built-in "Vibrate" profile, since at least some people have reported that they can make it work as expected by building a profile from scratch. I suppose that is a reasonable workaround, but it's a PITA - I love the BB for all of its granular customization capability, but I also love that the defaults are often good choices. It could take 15 or more minutes to get that just right (just to effectively replicate the "Vibrate" profile).

Suggestion to the group and Moderator(s)
    Finally, to keep the subject clean, I would like to suggest to the group at large, and the moderators, that this thread be kept to dealing with the BUG, and not with "how to customize your notification profiles", which is really a separate subject.

This site is FANTASTIC for us power-users, keep up the great work, all!
    Last edited by stoliosoda; 07-22-09 at 09:39 AM. Reason: mis-entered the first time (itchy trigger/enter finger)
    07-22-09 09:29 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD