I've read through Part I & II of the review and don't have the time to sort through all of these posts. I'm going to be upgrading from an 8830 that I've had for 2 years now and am trying to decide why everyone is so hyped on this phone.

From everything I've read, I get the following impressions:

1) Newer OS
    2) Prettier screen
    3) Better memory management
    4) The keyboard feels good
    5) It feels good in his hand.
    6) The browser might be better
    7) The media player is better

If I'm missing something, please let me know. Otherwise it seems like this is similar to going from Celeron w/ WinNT to CoreDuo w/ Win7 (pardon the Msoft analogies).

Am I missing something?
    06-27-09 02:01 PM
    I do believe the Tour has a faster processor and better camera, and its a world phone. Those are the only things that I can really think of right now that you missed. I'm sure someone will point out more differences.
    06-27-09 02:24 PM
    not just beter memory management..

more memory for applications over all.. quite abit more

along with what the post above me states
    06-27-09 02:50 PM
    I too am using an 8830 now and the addition of a camera is a nice feature. Not sure about the Intel analogies but all of the other enhancements that you list make it a worthwhile successor to the 8830 and will improve the user experience.
    06-27-09 02:51 PM

If I'm missing something, please let me know. Otherwise it seems like this is similar to going from Celeron w/ WinNT to CoreDuo w/ Win7 (pardon the Msoft analogies).

Am I missing something?
    How is that analogy not something to get excited about? Rim isn't reinventing the wheel with the 9630, just refining a device that is already very successful. It's not the kind of device the general public will get excited about, since there isn't any crazy new innovation.
    06-27-09 02:55 PM
    I've read through Part I & II of the review and don't have the time to sort through all of these posts. I'm going to be upgrading from an 8830 that I've had for 2 years now and am trying to decide why everyone is so hyped on this phone.

From everything I've read, I get the following impressions:

1) Newer OS
    2) Prettier screen
    3) Better memory management
    4) The keyboard feels good
    5) It feels good in his hand.
    6) The browser might be better
    7) The media player is better

Am I missing something?
    Not quite. 4.7.1.x is not that much better then 4.5.0.x is. Don't get too crazy on us ok?

One big thing I don't seem to grasp is why so many Storm users are so hyped up about the Tour, like it's a godsend or something. Take the Storm, drop off 1GB of internal storage and bump the app memory from 128 to 256, take the touchscreen off and make it half the size with a full keyboard and boom... Tour. Nothing special, nothing to see here, keep moving.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 06-27-09 at 03:15 PM.
    06-27-09 03:12 PM
    Not quite. 4.7.1.x is not that much better then 4.5.0.x is. Don't get too crazy on us ok?

One big thing I don't seem to grasp is why so many Storm users are so hyped up about the Tour, like it's a godsend or something. Take the Storm, drop off 1GB of internal storage and bump the app memory from 128 to 256, take the touchscreen off and make it half the size with a full keyboard and boom... Tour. Nothing special, nothing to see here, keep moving.
    I used a couple of my friend's Storms from time to time when I'm out with them (I was contemplating getting one) but what really turned me off from the Storm was the lack of a physical keyboard and it was VERY laggy. Not to mention the screen seemed to always lose calibration so when I tried to open one app it would open up the one beside it because the calibration was off.
    06-27-09 03:22 PM
    Factual, concise and lacking in the usual drama.

Thank you.
    06-27-09 03:30 PM
    in bold we have a winner!!!!
    Meh, whatever. Some people can use a touchscreen, some don't. I today witnessed it first hand when I let someone try and type on the portrait QWERTY on my Storm. They couldn't do it, but could on the landscape one. They couldn't believe that I could type on it. I took it from their hands and stared to type a long sms right in front of them. They thought I was doing the impossible.

So, like I said, WHATEVER... it's not for everyone.
    06-27-09 03:35 PM
    Preference. It's all it comes down to. Touch or no touch. Most people I know are one or the other. I am not. I love the feel of an actual key to press. I love crackberry!
    06-27-09 05:09 PM

accept for the fact that for some reason the device is quite a bit faster then the storm...

no idea why I wouldn't think that application memory would help that much but that thing zips around way faster then the storm..

and personally I like a keyboard better...

I don't mind a touch screen but I can def type faster on a KB...

I will still use my storm on weekends
    06-27-09 05:14 PM
    Meh, whatever. Some people can use a touchscreen, some don't. I today witnessed it first hand when I let someone try and type on the portrait QWERTY on my Storm. They couldn't do it, but could on the landscape one. They couldn't believe that I could type on it. I took it from their hands and stared to type a long sms right in front of them. They thought I was doing the impossible.

So, like I said, WHATEVER... it's not for everyone.
    true...but neither is the storm/touchscreen. i had the storm for 7 months...and just went back to the curve. to me, the curve is so much easier to operate...especially with one hand.

the tour has more memory and a better screen...and looks a whole lot cooler than the curve...that is enough for me to get excited about the tour.
    06-27-09 08:03 PM
    With that line of reasoning, one could make just about ANY upgrade sound un-appealing.
    06-27-09 08:16 PM
    With that line of reasoning, one could make just about ANY upgrade sound un-appealing.
    If you think the Tour is an upgrade to the Storm, you don't get the idea behind the Tour. It's the upgrade/replacement for the 8830.

What's next, you'll tell us the Storm 2 is really an upgrade to the Pearl? that's the point I was making, because everyone and their monkey is for some reason thinking the Tour is their upgrade because they couldn't use a Storm. Hope it makes sense now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-27-09 08:41 PM
    It's faster because you're not wasting clock cycles on trying to detect input from a touchscreen. Pretty sure there also no transitions on the Tour as well.

Honestly, because Verizon and the other carriers are dragging their a55, you have no idea how fast the Storm can be because you've only seen OSs for it that are at about the 40% development range that RIM's put out. Really wish the carriers would either isht or get off the pot when it comes to testing and releasing OSs. It's ridiculous how slow they are. RIM really needs to do something to change that process. It's hurting their hardware image big time. Perhaps those asshats should worry a bit less about leaks and consider direct OS update releases. Screw the carriers. If you're too stupid that you need new training to use 4.7.0.148 vs .75, then you're an ***** and you don't need to be working in tech support.

I love my storm though honestly I have no complaint about it.. I have had a pretty dang zippy storm the entire time even on the early OS'

my storm beat a iPhone in a flip test on .65

video was posted to prove it..

the new os is amazing I agree I would really like to see even a newer os. None the less though I am impressed by the tour..

I for one am not selling my storm and getting a tour I will switch them out
    06-27-09 10:27 PM
    If you think the Tour is an upgrade to the Storm, you don't get the idea behind the Tour. It's the upgrade/replacement for the 8830.

What's next, you'll tell us the Storm 2 is really an upgrade to the Pearl? that's the point I was making, because everyone and their monkey is for some reason thinking the Tour is their upgrade because they couldn't use a Storm. Hope it makes sense now.

Just because it's replacing the 8830 in the lineup for VZW does not mean that they don't get the 'idea behind the Tour.' Who cares what phone it's 'replacing?' More people are probably going to go from other devices to the Tour than from the 8830.

The Tour isn't an upgrade because people couldn't use the Storm. Why do you feel the need to defend your Storm so much? Every post I see you making is you comparing your Storm to the Tour and saying how it's basically the same thing. We get it, you like your Storm. Truth is, it hasn't been the most reliable device for many people. It doesn't mean they're doing something wrong. The device had a lot of problems with both the hardware and the OS.

It works good for you? Great! It didn't work for a lot of other people.
    06-27-09 11:16 PM
    Just because it's replacing the 8830 in the lineup for VZW does not mean that they don't get the 'idea behind the Tour.' Who cares what phone it's 'replacing?' More people are probably going to go from other devices to the Tour than from the 8830.

The Tour isn't an upgrade because people couldn't use the Storm. Why do you feel the need to defend your Storm so much? Every post I see you making is you comparing your Storm to the Tour and saying how it's basically the same thing. We get it, you like your Storm. Truth is, it hasn't been the most reliable device for many people. It doesn't mean they're doing something wrong. The device had a lot of problems with both the hardware and the OS.

It works good for you? Great! It didn't work for a lot of other people.
    There is a difference between going from the Storm to the Tour and saying "This phone was created to satisfy the shortcomings of the Storm" or "This phone was created for a whole different style of user".

The storm is quite different than any other blackberry. It, sadly, has problems. Those problems are mainly issues with the OS. The hardware itself was glitchy, but it seems that more and more people are getting replacements that are satisfying them. Is that because they are giving up and appeasing? I dont know...

But needless to say, the Tour is a completely different phone than the Storm. I personally would love to have one, but I understand that I would be ditching many of the design aspects of the Storms that I love. But if i stay with my storm, i will be missing out on the design aspects of the Tour. Its a give-and-take relationship.

Honestly, I need to call Verizon and get my storm replaced due to click issues and screen response glitches. HOPEFULLY I will be lucky enough to get a "fixed" replacement. Does this mean that when the Tour comes out, I can take that as a cue to make the switch? No. I have to debate whether or not I would miss my full screen too much.

I am looking forward to the Storm 2 launch. Hopefully a better OS comes out for that because I don't expect a fixed one for the one i have currently.
    06-28-09 03:56 AM

Oh and I'd rather kiss Angelina then Rosie any day of the week..... wait, what?
    In your opinion, do you think that Storm I is better than the Tour? Also, have you ever played with the Tour in person for more than one day? If you're a touchscreen guy who prefers the bigger screen, it's understandable. If you're also a GSM/CDMA guy like me, I understand the downplay too. Matter of fact, I'm lying because The Tour is a excellent device for CDMA subscribers.
    Last edited by Sinternet Jr.; 06-28-09 at 06:25 AM.
    06-28-09 06:21 AM
    I'm not defending the Storm. I don't feel that it needs defending because a bunch of people bought it and couldn't use it. What I am trying to do is inform you guys that under the skin, the Tour is very much similar hardware to the Storm. Ignorance to this is what bothers me. All of you keep harping on the fact that the Tour is some kind of godsend or something to save all the poor posers who bought a Storm because they thought it was an iStorm.

06-28-09 08:03 AM
    In your opinion, do you think that Storm I is better than the Tour? Also, have you ever played with the Tour in person for more than one day? If you're a touchscreen guy who prefers the bigger screen, it's understandable. If you're also a GSM/CDMA guy like me, I understand the downplay too. Matter of fact, I'm lying because The Tour is a excellent device for CDMA subscribers.
    From a visual perspective, yes it is. In my eyes, the only think better on the Tour is the bumped up app memory. The smaller (dimentionally) screen is a negative in my book and I really don't need a keyboard. At least not enough to sacrifice the bigger screen. Now, had I been coming from my old 8830 to the Tour, it would be a different story.

Look at it this way. When the 8330 came out, I switched to it for exactly 3 days until I decided the keyboard quality on ot was crap enough to warrant me going back to the 8830 and putting up with the low memory issues it has. That should give you a better idea of how I look at things.

Oh and it's girl, not guy.

06-28-09 08:10 AM
    It depends on how you look at things. For me, I can type 70+ wpm on a keypad, and only 50 on the Storm. Well that is a huge loss in productivity for me. The smaller screen on the Tour will be a much better visual experience than the Storm but it is physically smaller. Internal memory is another difference. Past that, the devices are very similar.
    06-28-09 08:13 AM
    From a visual perspective, yes it is. In my eyes, the only think better on the Tour is the bumped up app memory. The smaller (dimentionally) screen is a negative in my book and I really don't need a keyboard. At least not enough to sacrifice the bigger screen. Now, had I been coming from my old 8830 to the Tour, it would be a different story.

Look at it this way. When the 8330 came out, I switched to it for exactly 3 days until I decided the keyboard quality on ot was crap enough to warrant me going back to the 8830 and putting up with the low memory issues it has. That should give you a better idea of how I look at things.

Oh and it's girl, not guy.

Basically what Sith just said. Keyboard quality for the Tour is brilliant, and the OS is fantastic enough to make the switch. The only thing the Storm has over the Tour is a bigger screen.

Off topic, you know I've personally lurked here since Feb 07, and I've always thought you were a guy lol. My apology.
    Last edited by Sinternet Jr.; 06-28-09 at 08:25 AM.
    06-28-09 08:23 AM
    If you are coming from a curve 8330 or the 8830 then its a major upgrade, it is a nice device with more memory, and a keyboard.. I see people with storms paying full retail for this device and shake my head.

The Storm has caused quite a bit of love/hate and hopefully those that did not have a good experience with the phone will be happy with the Tour. I happen to have one in my hand and its a nice device but nothing world changing as of yet....

as for all the attacks ongoing in this thread I would hope we all remember we are supposed to be adults and act accordingly... getting excited is one thing but lets not be idiots..
    Last edited by blackmannx; 06-28-09 at 12:46 PM. Reason: time to settle the masses down.
    06-28-09 12:36 PM
    I am a relative newbie to the BB word, so please excuse what might be an silly question. Why is everyone comparing a the Storm (First generation touch-screen device) to the Tour (evolutiopnary upgrade to standard BB device). They seem to have different purposes and different target audiences.

Also, if the Tour is so appealing, why not just go for the Bold? This seems like a very similar device. If it is because the Bold is GSM, it seems thaat BB could just produce a CDMA Bold rather than develop a whole new device (Tour).

What am I missing?

Also, I understand that the Storm has had problems, but touchscreen users want this type of device so hopefully for them, the Storm 2 will be there real upgrade.

Right now I have a Curve 8330. I am with US Cellular. It takes them so long to port new phones, I will be lucky to get a Storm or a Tour before 2011.
    Last edited by RiDeC58; 06-28-09 at 12:50 PM.
    06-28-09 12:48 PM
    Maybe you aren't reading these responses then. Their Storms aren't functioning correctly, and they want a device that will. So far, the Tour looks like it's going to fit that bill.
    Maybe thats true but all this excitment isnt needed.. I edited my post as I hadnt read the last 2 pages when I made it..
    06-28-09 12:49 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD