I was looking closely at the very thin piece of trim that separates the bottom of the display from the top of the four function keys and track ball.

A close look reveals a gap at the bottom of both ends of the trim piece above the red connect and green disconnect buttons, and a gap at the top in the middle adjacent to the display.

These gaps suggest to me that the trim piece is installed backwards (upside down), as the red connect and green disconnect keys have a slight angle to their shapes at the top.

If the trim piece were to be flipped around the gaps would disappear.

Anyone else notice this? Is this a removable piece?
    07-15-09 12:34 PM
    I have noticed it too and this is where I already see lint and fuzz starting to build up. I have probably cleaned this out about 4 or 5 times today. Not sure if it is installed backwards but I'm pretty sure there is nothing you can do about it. Right now it seems like no big deal to me.
    07-15-09 12:36 PM
    I looked pretty closely and I honestly didn't notice a gap on my Tour
    07-15-09 12:40 PM
    No big deal to me either - more of a design curiosity. If it is a separate piece, I would imagine the laws of probability would apply and about half of them are installed backwards. It's such a small piece I doubt it could be installed correctly more than half the time. Unless it is actually a straight piece that is slightly bent because of the fit in the frame.

And, yeah - that is where the fuzz will collect!
    07-15-09 12:43 PM
    Wait - is this below the touchscreen?

Just kidding - mine is kind of sketchy too - and I already have crap building up in there.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-09 12:52 PM
    actually that piece is is part of the bezel. its one piece. its the same on the bold and 8900
    07-15-09 12:52 PM
    I attached a picture showing the gaps. But if it is part of the bezel, then I guess it is just a muffed design!
    07-15-09 12:58 PM
    out of curiosity, was yours made in mexico or canada?
    07-15-09 01:01 PM
    i think thats called nitpicking

p.s. thats a dirty phone
    07-15-09 01:06 PM
    i am more cuious if these gaps are needed because of the design of the screen, etc...or a fashion thing.

this was something i hated about the storm...gaps and light leaks make the phone attract lint and look cheap...imho

i am getting ready to go buy an air can to keep dust out as i have already gone through one can since sunday.
    07-15-09 01:10 PM
    i think you just have a slightly bent.warped piece of plastic...mine is almost exactly straight on both sides and very minimal gap...
    07-15-09 01:14 PM
    out of curiosity, was yours made in mexico or canada?
    Made in Canada!
    07-15-09 01:21 PM
    Canada here. Entire 10-phone carton in my store was Canada.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-09 01:36 PM
    I attached a picture showing the gaps. But if it is part of the bezel, then I guess it is just a muffed design!
    That is odd. I looked at mine and the trim piece appears to be perfectly straight and there are no visible gaps. My Tour was made at Mexico 5.
    07-15-09 01:59 PM
    WOW mine doesn't look like that at all. Is very clean and crisp no gaps at all
    07-15-09 02:04 PM
    That phone looks like it's 2 years old already.

Mine is perfectly straight across and has no gaps at all. Made in Canada and no battery cover gaps either.
    07-15-09 02:09 PM
    I had a mexico 5 with a loose battery cover and the gaps. I traded it in today and got a canada 1 battery cover is now snug but still a gap above the key board, but its not hurting anything so who cares.
    07-15-09 08:56 PM
    Absolute perfection is not a strong suit of RIM hardware. Just my opinion of course. Not a single handset is identical to the next from the amount of BBs I've handled over the years. In the past it used to be with silver trackball rings being off-center from the screen cutout for them. With the 9530 it was screen centering/wobble and physical button flimzyness... etc.

People that like perfect things will always be just a bit dissapointed in a BB. I know, because I'm like that too, so I sympathize with the OP.
    07-15-09 09:25 PM
    That phone looks like it's 2 years old already.

Mine is perfectly straight across and has no gaps at all. Made in Canada and no battery cover gaps either.
    Mine also is perfectly straight across with no gaps anywhere on the front or back of the phone---at least none that I can find. My battery cover fits well, too.

FWIW, mine is a Mexico 5.

Gaps or no gaps, it looks like you're going to have to be really careful about getting dust in every crevice of your phone. Unless the picture is very deceiving, it probably should be in a case (after you use some compressed air on it). JMHO.
    07-15-09 10:11 PM
    Mine is perfectly straight all the way across. There's no gap on the top and a slight gap on the bottom.

How can you tell where it was manufactured?
    07-15-09 10:39 PM
    just pop the cover and remove batt.

07-15-09 11:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD