I'm in the Canadian Navy, and coming south (Florida) soon. I really don't want a 400.00+ phone bill this time from Telus ridiculous roaming rates, so I paid to have my Tour unlocked (I used the crackberry.com 50% off coupon for cellunlock.net) and I just successfully unlocked the Tour! Woohooo!

Now for the question... When I get to Florida, which carrier is the best to get a pay as I go SIM card from? And do I need to do anything special to access BIS once I put the new SIM in (aside from changing the type from EVDO to GSM)?? Do any of them support 3G? ...I thought I remember the instruction video for the unlocking saying that neither TMobile or AT&T will support 3G?? Or is that an issue with the Tour itself?

Any help appreciated Thanks
    09-10-09 06:26 PM
    Try these sites:

USA SIM card
    PrePaidGSM: United States of America

They both advertise both Tmobile and ATT Wireless Prepaid GSM, I know ATT prepaid has a data option not sure about Tmobile. ATT has 3G. Is the Canadian Navy invading Floriday? lol
    09-10-09 06:45 PM
    I travel to the US quite a bit and bought a T-Mobile prepaid Sim Card ($10.00) and just slipped it into my Tour. No problems. In fact, I find it great.

However, I don't know about the data... I know there's a long-drawn out process to get data but I'm not sure what it is - don't want to mess up my phone as I still use it for work when I'm home.

As for 3G, the Tour's frequencies only allow it to pick up 3G GSM in Europe and Asia. In North America's GSM networks, you're stuck with edge.

Oh, and thanks for serving.
    09-10-09 07:09 PM
    I travel to the US quite a bit and bought a T-Mobile prepaid Sim Card ($10.00) and just slipped it into my Tour. No problems. In fact, I find it great.

However, I don't know about the data... I know there's a long-drawn out process to get data but I'm not sure what it is - don't want to mess up my phone as I still use it for work when I'm home.

As for 3G, the Tour's frequencies only allow it to pick up 3G GSM in Europe and Asia. In North America's GSM networks, you're stuck with edge.

Oh, and thanks for serving.
    I just asked a friend who works with RIM, and he said as long as the prepaid card includes data and the carrier supports the Tour, and u get service books sent - it should work. And he verified that TMO does indeed support the Tour.

And then I guess u just need to set up your email addresses for that carrier (u can do it on the phone with 'email settings' I do believe). But to get service books sent, I'd have to go into a TMO shop down there and get them to have the service books sent.

I am guessing that the SIM will have a different phone number than the EVDO part from Telus. As long as I switch it to EVDO for Telus and GSM for TMO, my Telus settings shouldn't get too messed up - I may have to resend service books on that end when I switch back, but I can do that easily myself from the Telus BIS site.

If I am missing anything, someone pls chime in lol. My friend really didn't know how well this would work!
    09-10-09 08:06 PM
    I use Bell and work regularly in the USA and have at&t for service down there. I unlocked my phone and Bell is the primary service carrier and my email is set up through bell.blackberry.net. when I cross the border, I switch my service to GSM/2G-3G and everything works fine, my email still comes through via the bell.blackberry.net as you cannot setup 2 BIS accounts on the same phone and my browser still works too as well as anything else data.
    Whomever you choose, At&T/T-mobile for your gsm carrier, you will not get 3G speeds, but you will get Edge which is 2.5G. There are some gliches with the GSM radio in the phone that the EDGE/edge fluctuates (caps EDGE meaning connected to RIM for data), but all in all it works and should be addressed in upcoming OS updates. Just make sure your plan with the USA carrier has a data package and everything will work fine, you wont get the at&t/T-mobile pushed icons (stores to buy crap) which are garbage anyway, but you will get your email and data fine otherwise.

CDMA Canada, GSM USA, works for me great with my unlocked tour.
    09-10-09 08:28 PM
    I use Bell and work regularly in the USA and have at&t for service down there. I unlocked my phone and Bell is the primary service carrier and my email is set up through bell.blackberry.net. when I cross the border, I switch my service to GSM/2G-3G and everything works fine, my email still comes through via the bell.blackberry.net as you cannot setup 2 BIS accounts on the same phone and my browser still works too as well as anything else data.
    Whomever you choose, At&T/T-mobile for your gsm carrier, you will not get 3G speeds, but you will get Edge which is 2.5G. There are some gliches with the GSM radio in the phone that the EDGE/edge fluctuates (caps EDGE meaning connected to RIM for data), but all in all it works and should be addressed in upcoming OS updates. Just make sure your plan with the USA carrier has a data package and everything will work fine, you wont get the at&t/T-mobile pushed icons (stores to buy crap) which are garbage anyway, but you will get your email and data fine otherwise.

CDMA Canada, GSM USA, works for me great with my unlocked tour.
    Thanks!! Greatly appreciated! I feel much more at ease now!
    09-10-09 08:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD