Please help me get this straight (because I am a computer ***** and may screw this up) I am exchanging my over heating Tour for a new one. I have done a backup on the desktop manager. Do I restore the data to the new Tour thru the same program. I have read people say to use the Device Switch Wizard, but I was under the impression you can only do that if you have the new and the old phones in hand at the same time. I accidentally hit the DSW last night and it took the info off my phone, but then had no place to send it. I did back my phone up and it seems to work ok, but the will be exchanging it today. Thanks BB Brains.
    09-29-09 07:45 AM
    If you backed up using DM you can take your new Tour use that back up and restore to it using DM. I did the same when my first Tour was not working and a replacement was sent to me. The same applies for different devices i.e from a 8330 to a Tour.
    Last edited by dcgore; 09-29-09 at 08:19 AM.
    09-29-09 08:17 AM
    Please help me get this straight (because I am a computer ***** and may screw this up) I am exchanging my over heating Tour for a new one. I have done a backup on the desktop manager. Do I restore the data to the new Tour thru the same program. I have read people say to use the Device Switch Wizard, but I was under the impression you can only do that if you have the new and the old phones in hand at the same time. I accidentally hit the DSW last night and it took the info off my phone, but then had no place to send it. I did back my phone up and it seems to work ok, but the will be exchanging it today. Thanks BB Brains.
    Yes, Desktop Manager can be used to restore data from a backup. You will lose your apps, however. You have two choices for preserving your apps: (1) You can backup 3rd party apps using Desktop Manager Device Switch Wizard to a folder on your computer (check the CB forums under tips and tricks subforum). (2) You can use the Device Switch Wizard without having both BBs available at the same time... begin the DSW and when you get to the "Plugin your new BB" (or whatever) just let the computer sit.. disconnect, go to store, bring home new BB, plug it in. My understanding is that DSW will not time out but you do run the risk of a computer malfunction or power outage during the period between BB1 and BB2.
    09-29-09 08:18 AM
    Here is a guide : http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/upda...updated-53201/

You can also try BBSAK, to back up 3rd party applications.
    Last edited by ST79; 09-29-09 at 10:37 AM.
    09-29-09 10:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD