So I am not sure if this has been answered yet so I figured I would ask everyone who is getting a tour.

This is my first time switching to a new Blackberry. Will Backup/Restore work eventhough the OS is different from what is on my 8330?
    07-09-09 05:33 PM
    The easiest way to do this in my opinion is to have your current 8330 synced up with an e-mail address book tool like Outlook. Then just use BlackBerry Desktop Manager to do the work for you. That way when you get your Tour, you can set it up on your Desktop Manager to sync also and all your contacts will be added to the new device directly from your computer. This is what I plan to do.
    07-09-09 05:50 PM
    You can also try Google Sync Services
    07-09-09 06:12 PM
    You should be able to copy back in the Contacts database at the very least from the BackUp/Restore in DM. Look at the Advanced selection on the right. I just added stuff from a 4.2 backup to a Curve with 4.5 and it seemed to transfer most everything. Some things might not match up between OSes, but I would think they wouldn't mess with the address format much.
    07-09-09 06:24 PM
    will it work if i just totally delete desktop manager and reinstall it once i get the Tour? i have updated DM b/c i updated the OS on my 8330 and not very knowledgeable with desktop manager.

In regards to transfering my 8330 contacts over to the Tour....need help...
    07-09-09 06:26 PM
    Just use the Device Switch Wizard in the BlackBerry Desktop Manager to switch all the data over.
    07-09-09 06:28 PM
    will/can memos and existing emails that are on the 8330 be transferred to Tour as well?
    07-09-09 06:30 PM
    Also you can load a backup from one model BB to another model.

So if you come home with just the Tour and not your old BB you can load the backup from the old BB to the Tour.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-09 06:33 PM

So if you come home with just the Tour and not your old BB you can load the backup from the old BB to the Tour.

Can that be done by using the device switch wizard ?
    07-09-09 06:35 PM
    What you gotta understand is that the Device manager software doesn't store your contact information. I think that's what the OP was interested in. The contacts go into Outlook or something like that. Then DM will automatically update the contact info with whatever you tell it to use (I use an ancient version of Outlook) anytime you connect it. Then you can use that Outlook (or Google etc)to load up your new BB via DM.
    will/can memos and existing emails that are on the 8330 be transferred to Tour as well?
    Yes they can, DM wil transfer everything including user settings.

I was planning on using the device switch wizard.

I have never used the device switch wizard or a back-up to a new BB. Is one option better than the other or pretty much the same end result?
    07-09-09 06:36 PM
    What you gotta understand is that the Device manager software doesn't store your contact information. I think that's what the OP was interested in. The contacts go into Outlook or something like that. Then DM will automatically update the contact info with whatever you tell it to use (I use an ancient version of Outlook) anytime you connect it. Then you can use that Outlook (or Google etc)to load up your new BB via DM.
    DM most certainly does store your contacts in the backup.

I have never used anything other than DM to backup/restore my contacts.

07-09-09 06:38 PM
    I was planning on using the device switch wizard.

I have never used the device switch wizard or a back-up to a new BB. Is one option better than the other or pretty much the same end result?
    Pretty much the same result except the switch device wizard gives you the option to transfer third party apps as well.

07-09-09 06:41 PM
    Pretty much the same result except the switch device wizard gives you the option to transfer third party apps as well.

That's my play then, thanks!
    07-09-09 06:42 PM
    You're welcome

07-09-09 06:51 PM
    anyone know if it's possible to backup and transfer my BBM PIN contacts from my storm to the tour, so I dont have to request everyone again?
    07-09-09 07:05 PM
    anyone know if it's possible to backup and transfer my BBM PIN contacts from my storm to the tour, so I dont have to request everyone again?
    Yes, your BBM contacts will transfer also.
    07-09-09 07:17 PM
    Thanks for all the tips. I just wanted to make sure that if i plug my Tour into this computer, do a restore with DM, it won't cause problems because of the newer OS. It looks like we should be good.
    07-09-09 07:45 PM
    Yes, your BBM contacts will transfer also.
    thanks...and it will update on the other person's phone? or do I have to msg them first? thanks again!
    07-09-09 08:12 PM
    What about the PIN codes? Will that transfer?
    07-09-09 11:29 PM
    What about the PIN codes? Will that transfer?
    When I've moved a BBM user from one device to another, it pops up a message saying that your PIN has changed and do you want to update this with your BBM contacts? Say yes and it will send the change out to your contacts.

The PIN is tied to the device.
    07-10-09 12:02 AM
    Now that people are starting to get their Tours, have you been using desktop manager to move over everything?
    07-12-09 02:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD