If you're trackball is giving you problems, take it back and get another. They should give you one, no questions asked.
    SPRINT people can't do that because it's pre-ordered. Not even in the stores yet. So I think those with sprint are obligated to work out their problems on their own.. because sending it and resending will just take too long, and more than likely they'll give you a refurbished one since so many people sent theirs back..
    07-20-09 11:35 AM
    DON'T. WET. THE. TRACKBALL.
    well why are people saying to wipe with alcohol swab?
    07-20-09 11:56 AM
    My trackball sticked for the first time today too. Went to scroll down and it wouldn't budge. I remember reading a threat that suggested holding down the ball and while holding, moving the ball around. It unjammed the ball and I haven't had a problem the rest of the day. (Keeping my fingers crossed!)
    did you turn off your phone when you were doing this?
    07-20-09 11:57 AM
    I had the same problem with my trackball. But I got some tissue paper with some alcohol, a few seconds of rubbing the trackball.. let it dry and viola, my trackball stopped getting stuck and it's back to working great again. I first had this problem after I had some pizza? and my hand was llittle greasy. Hope this helps!
    LOL, so you put Beer(alcohol), and WD40(pizza) on the trackball and it worked. Good lookin out, great work! Glad Beer and Pizza worked!
    07-20-09 12:03 PM
    SPRINT people can't do that because it's pre-ordered. Not even in the stores yet. So I think those with sprint are obligated to work out their problems on their own.. because sending it and resending will just take too long, and more than likely they'll give you a refurbished one since so many people sent theirs back..
    That's actually wrong because it is still within 30 days. They have to give you a new one.
    07-20-09 12:07 PM
    YEs, I received my tour on friday also, and my track ball started messing up the same way. I can go up, down and left with ease but when I go right I am having problems. Also when I am watching a movie it stutters or freezes does any one have any help for these problems?

Teddy
    when you say watching movie, where are you watching the movie from? Sprint TV(could be the weak network signal) or Micro SD(could be the SD class of speed, i.e. 2, 4, 6) or on the browser(which I highly doubt, you can expect stutter if you are doing this)

with regards to Micro SD Card, I've read where people who had Bold had same issue watching movie from sd card with class 2 speed. I think they recommend min. class 4 sd card for watching movies but still might not work.
    07-20-09 12:07 PM
    I stopped in verizon to play around with a display model and noticed the same problem on the demo. It wouldn't work no matter what I tried. It seemed that the trackball was physically stuck and wasn't rolling to the right.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-09 12:33 PM
    Guys have you noticed that the track ball works on other applications but not on the home screen? I had this issue and I upped the sensitivity to 90% and rebooted and have not had the issue again. That was 2 weeks ago. Mine was acting up on the home screen but when I would go to the internet or photos, it was fine. A little less pressure also helps.
    08-02-09 09:03 PM
    I was having the same problem. took the suggestion to hold the trackball down and move it around and it worked for me
    08-02-09 09:47 PM
    Try letting the phone load before scrolling, cuz with me the trackball freezes when its loading a page or refreshing.. Warm up to the phone first guys before worrying; something I've learned myself!

That is some SOUND ADVICE.
    08-02-09 09:48 PM
    Guys have you noticed that the track ball works on other applications but not on the home screen? I had this issue and I upped the sensitivity to 90% and rebooted and have not had the issue again. That was 2 weeks ago. Mine was acting up on the home screen but when I would go to the internet or photos, it was fine. A little less pressure also helps.
    I had the same exact problem, it would scroll horizontally fine on pretty much anything but going through my homescreen folders, so I bumped the horizontal sensitivity to 90 and everything seems to be great except for the occasional over scrolling due to the sensitivity, but overall experience with this phone for less than a week so far has been great loving it!
    08-02-09 09:59 PM
    I posted this in another thread about the same issue. What I found from taking my Tour apart is that where the trackball sits on the main board shifts from any slight touch. The shifting of that part of the main board is the cause of the trackballs not being able to work correctly. This is a major design flaw with the Tour...unlike the Bold's trackball which sits inside of a small metal cage to keep it in place. RIM is going to have to go back to the drawing board on this one. Not saying that ALL Tours have this problem but it seems a large or large enough percentage have this issue. It's correctable but you'd have to be pretty comfortable with taking apart your phone to fix it. It took me 5 tries to get it right but my trackball is flawless now and I'm lovin it.

08-02-09 11:00 PM
    My trackball is awful. If I try to scroll right, it usually jumps two places to the left. Other times it just won't move at all. The physical trackball easily moves without any problem, so it's not a hardware flaw.

It's very annoying and basically makes an incredible phone unusable. I'm taking it back to Sprint and telling them to ship me a new one.
    This is exactly what is happening with my VZW trackball - for the SECOND time. They already replaced this once. I'm also having random restarts (a "white screen of death" with tiny letters") so I'm going to call tech support and have them ship out another one, AGAIN. Such a pain in the **** to drive to a FedEX to ship it back, there isn't one anywhere near me
    10-22-09 02:57 PM
    My first tour had the trackball go bad. Every once in a while it would have problems scrolling and would get stuck but a quick wiggle would get it working again. Then all of a sudden the scrolling mechanism that the ball rolls against broke/snapped/locked up. Couldn't move to the right to save my life. And just before it went bad for about 2 weeks my device would randomly restart whenever it felt like it. There was no reason for it to reboot, I wasn't trying to get it to do anything. Every once in a while I would pull it out of my pocket and it would be rebooting, or right after sending a message, even sitting in the cup holder in my car.
    10-23-09 01:45 PM
    guys, if there are any problems at all, you need to keep trading them in until you get the right one....only issue i have is loose batt. door now. It took me 4 tries.
    10-23-09 02:10 PM
    my #2 is JUST starting to have minor "go right" issues. Sorry david, I won't go for keep turning it in, I'll only give it so many chances.
    10-23-09 03:06 PM
    GUYS, change your trackball to a new one, and VOILA problem solved !!

I changed my trackball to bb 8900's. No problemo. They're all the same.
    10-24-09 04:04 AM

Unless you DON'T wanna void the warranty...
    10-24-09 04:29 AM

I personally would open up my phone & do this but a lot of people on here arent that comfortable doing this. This phone shouldve never been released with this trackball....it shouldve had the trackpad.
    10-24-09 07:19 AM
    I've had mine for a week now and I've had a few problems with my trackball. I'm assuming its hardware because I've had times where it would physically stop moving but after moving it around it would let it move again. I have had several times where it would essentially hit a 'dead zone' where the ball would be scrolling but it wouldn't move on screen or would move at an incredibly reduced speed but would fix itself eventually.

I've tried the alcohol and it appeared to work for a short time, but I'm not gonna hold my breath on it lasting much longer.

10-24-09 10:38 AM
    I've had mine for a week now and I've had a few problems with my trackball. I'm assuming its hardware because I've had times where it would physically stop moving but after moving it around it would let it move again. I have had several times where it would essentially hit a 'dead zone' where the ball would be scrolling but it wouldn't move on screen or would move at an incredibly reduced speed but would fix itself eventually.

I've tried the alcohol and it appeared to work for a short time, but I'm not gonna hold my breath on it lasting much longer.

10-28-09 06:20 AM
    I tried it with my BB Curve 8900 and it works!

02-14-11 07:01 AM
    this actually works for me! thank you so much
    03-14-13 08:34 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD