I got my tour on friday morning, i lucked out and got the last one in stock at the verizon store. I upgraded from my curve to this, and as soon as i start playing around with it, i notice the trackball physically gets stuck going right, and it jumps back left when im trying to get it to go right and right only. Its really pissing me off and the verizon rep changed the sensitivity, did a battery pull, and sprayed the trackball with an air can. Im waiting for them to get more in stock so i can swap it out. But am i the only one with this sketchy trackball?
    07-19-09 05:17 PM
    Ive had my tour for a week now and my trackball was perfect up until today. Now its exhibiting the same problems. It doesn't do it all the time just enough to make it noticeable.

I havent tried canned air yet.
    07-19-09 05:21 PM
    I got my tour on friday morning, i lucked out and got the last one in stock at the verizon store. I upgraded from my curve to this, and as soon as i start playing around with it, i notice the trackball physically gets stuck going right, and it jumps back left when im trying to get it to go right and right only. Its really pissing me off and the verizon rep changed the sensitivity, did a battery pull, and sprayed the trackball with an air can. Im waiting for them to get more in stock so i can swap it out. But am i the only one with this sketchy trackball?
    Others have had the same issue, and some have resolved it adjusting the sensitivity of the trackball. I had the same issue and one of the guys at the verizon store used an alcohol pad and wiped the trackball for a couple minutes. It has been working fine since.
    07-19-09 05:22 PM
    Try letting the phone load before scrolling, cuz with me the trackball freezes when its loading a page or refreshing.. Warm up to the phone first guys before worrying; something I've learned myself!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-09 05:26 PM
    Others have had the same issue, and some have resolved it adjusting the sensitivity of the trackball. I had the same issue and one of the guys at the verizon store used an alcohol pad and wiped the trackball for a couple minutes. It has been working fine since.
    I have tried letting it load, and i messed around with the sensitivity and still no help. I haven't tried any alcohol wipes yet, but i will. Do you think it's a problem that I can fix myself, or should i just go swap it out and get a different one?
    07-19-09 05:41 PM
    I wonder how that could be on a brand new phone? Unless the factory worker had dirty hands or something when they assembled, I'm trying to figure out how cleaning it would help? Lots of people having this issue. I adjusted the horizontal to 90, and that helped, but it isn't quite where it should be yet.
    07-19-09 05:43 PM
    Take it in and let them look at it if they can't fix it they should swap it out for you

07-19-09 05:44 PM
    I wonder how that could be on a brand new phone? Unless the factory worker had dirty hands or something when they assembled, I'm trying to figure out how cleaning it would help? Lots of people having this issue. I adjusted the horizontal to 90, and that helped, but it isn't quite where it should be yet.
    2nd that notion...same issue here...
    07-19-09 05:46 PM
    I'm having the same problem with my trackball as well. Adjusting it to 90 doesn't help much and causes the tracking to go all over the place. I'm going to try cleaning it with the alcohol pad and see if that helps.
    07-19-09 05:46 PM
    I'm having the same problem with my trackball as well. Adjusting it to 90 doesn't help much and causes the tracking to go all over the place. I'm going to try cleaning it with the alcohol pad and see if that helps.
    let us know if that alcohol swab thing works...I have my doubts about that...
    07-19-09 09:02 PM
    Same issue here. Not sure if the trackball just isn't very sensitive (I have it at 80) or there is some fundamental technical issue. Willing to try an alcohol wipe, but also curious if it has been effective for many others. Thanks!
    07-19-09 09:13 PM
    let us know if that alcohol swab thing works...I have my doubts about that...
    DON'T. WET. THE. TRACKBALL.
    07-19-09 09:20 PM
    My trackball sticked for the first time today too. Went to scroll down and it wouldn't budge. I remember reading a threat that suggested holding down the ball and while holding, moving the ball around. It unjammed the ball and I haven't had a problem the rest of the day. (Keeping my fingers crossed!)
    07-19-09 09:26 PM
    having the same problem here only gets stuck going to the right>> try pushing down on the trackball hard and moving it in circles... this should help a little
    07-20-09 12:34 AM
    I had the same problem and had to go to 4 different Verizon stores to get a replacement! They did all the regular tricks. Adjust sensitivity, battery pull, alcohol wipes. A couple reps even denied anything was wrong! The 4th store finally had someone that could help me and swapped it out. This was all on just the second day of owning the phone and being with Verizon (switched from Alltel)!

The Tour I have now is perfect, though. Battery cover is slightly loose, but nothing a little electrical tap couldn't fix.

07-20-09 01:00 AM
    Mine was doing the same thing, it is very sensitive. I realized I was pressing too hard on the trackball however, unlike my Curve. Once I let off the pressure it seems to work better. Maybe this is just me though, yours seems to be something different.
    07-20-09 09:02 AM
    DON'T. WET. THE. TRACKBALL.
    RELAX, it's Isopropyl alcohol which is used to clean electronic devices. I don't think anyone is dumping an entire bottle of isopropyl alcohol on their trackball.

Uses:
    Isopropyl alcohol is cheaply available. Like acetone, it dissolves a wide range of nonpolar compounds. It is also relatively nontoxic and dries (evaporates) quickly. Thus it is used widely as a solvent and as a cleaning fluid, especially for dissolving lipophilic contaminants such as oil. Examples of this use include cleaning electronic devices such as contact pins (like those on ROM cartridges), magnetic tape and disk heads (such as those in audio and video tape recorders and floppy disk drives), the lenses of lasers in optical disc drives (e.g. CD, DVD) and removing thermal paste from IC packages (such as CPUs.) It is also used to clean LCD and glass computer monitor screens (at some risk to the anti-reflection coating of some screens), and used by many music shops to give second-hand or worn records newer-looking sheens (though it may leach plasticizer from vinyl, making it more rigid.)Pure Isopropyl alcohol should not be used to clean vinyl records. A basic reciepe for cleaning vinyl records is: for 1 litre, 50% Isopropyl alcohol, 50% demineralised water, one or two drops of pure detergent such as Kodak PhotoFlo. It cleans white boards and other unwanted ink related marks very well (at the risk of damaging the non-stick surface of the white board). Isopropyl alcohol also works well at removing smudges, dirt, and fingerprints from cell phones and PDAs. It is effective at removing residual glue from some sticky labels (but some other adhesives used on tapes and paper labels are resistant to it.)

FYI - In general, these Isopropyl Alcohol pads can be found in many first aid kits.
    Last edited by smatica; 07-20-09 at 09:39 AM.
    07-20-09 09:04 AM
    That is kind of funny because mine gets stuck going left. I tried the trick posted about pushing the track ball down a bit harder and moving it all around to try and work it in so to speak. It kind of worked, but there still are some problems. I am on my second Tour and the issue with the first one were addressed almost entirely. Def am not taking this one back. I think a software update might correct that.

07-20-09 09:23 AM
    Out of the box... I was extremely upset that my BB was not scrolling right, upset about the cover (although that is MINOR) and that there was considerable lag.

Nonetheless I pushed on through, completely set up my BB and get everything set. Then I took a little alcohol and dipped a q-tip into it. Rubbed it on the trackball for a couple minutes, blew to dry it off and PRESTO!

My blackberry now works like a dream.

I really think that most of the issues experienced on the Tour just need to have the kinks worked out. After all, it is a smart phone.

I just encourage people to give it a little time and work on their BBs before they hand them back and write them off.
    07-20-09 09:35 AM
    Out of the box... I was extremely upset that my BB was not scrolling right, upset about the cover (although that is MINOR) and that there was considerable lag.

Nonetheless I pushed on through, completely set up my BB and get everything set. Then I took a little alcohol and dipped a q-tip into it. Rubbed it on the trackball for a couple minutes, blew to dry it off and PRESTO!

My blackberry now works like a dream.

I really think that most of the issues experienced on the Tour just need to have the kinks worked out. After all, it is a smart phone.

I just encourage people to give it a little time and work on their BBs before they hand them back and write them off.

I'm happy to hear it worked for you!
    07-20-09 09:40 AM
    If you're trackball is giving you problems, take it back and get another. They should give you one, no questions asked.
    07-20-09 09:45 AM
    I had the same problem with my trackball. But I got some tissue paper with some alcohol, a few seconds of rubbing the trackball.. let it dry and viola, my trackball stopped getting stuck and it's back to working great again. I first had this problem after I had some pizza? and my hand was llittle greasy. Hope this helps!
    07-20-09 10:00 AM
    YEs, I received my tour on friday also, and my track ball started messing up the same way. I can go up, down and left with ease but when I go right I am having problems. Also when I am watching a movie it stutters or freezes does any one have any help for these problems?

Teddy
    07-20-09 11:11 AM
    My trackball is awful. If I try to scroll right, it usually jumps two places to the left. Other times it just won't move at all. The physical trackball easily moves without any problem, so it's not a hardware flaw.

It's very annoying and basically makes an incredible phone unusable. I'm taking it back to Sprint and telling them to ship me a new one.
    07-20-09 11:28 AM
    I've had my Tour for about a week, and I had this problem for the first time yesterday. I turned my phone off, then turned it back on and the trackball started working properly again. Hoping this won't be a reoccurring problem...
    07-20-09 11:34 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD