03-24-10 09:07 PM
54 123
tools
    Thats not good :/
    03-23-10 06:27 AM
    The trackball affects all Tours, made in both Mexico and Canada, and from all build dates, although later ones are slightly better.

If you have a good trackball, just wait. It will only be a matter of time before you get something in there that will jam everything up. And the bad part of the Tour is that you can't dissamble the trackball easily like you could with the old Curve, so your only hope is some rubbing alcohol which will work... temporarily.

A user came up with the method of putting a piece of paper underneath the trackball to get all the gunk out. Apparently this works very well, but the only problem is that it does not work on the newer Tours because they have a slightly different assembly and with them you can't get the strip of paper to roll underneath.
    03-23-10 06:32 AM
    I've had very little trouble with my trackball and that was when I was still on OS 4.7. I thought most of the problems were due to the OS??
    03-23-10 06:37 AM
    I've had very little trouble with my trackball and that was when I was still on OS 4.7. I thought most of the problems were due to the OS??
    Not at all. That was the first scapegoat Verizon/RIM was trying to use until it was blatantly obvious that it was hardware related. RIM responded by fixing the trackball assembly which did make it better, however a lot of underlying problems remain and it still has issues.
    03-23-10 08:14 AM
    KBZ, does the tour have a 5.0 relaese with US cellular?
    03-23-10 11:42 AM
    Not at all. That was the first scapegoat Verizon/RIM was trying to use until it was blatantly obvious that it was hardware related. RIM responded by fixing the trackball assembly which did make it better, however a lot of underlying problems remain and it still has issues.
    besides the trackball and the loose battery door, what are the other issues with the phone, physically, not related to service?

i recently used my upgrade to get the Tour, i'm not going to wait for the 9650. i had the Tour back in Sept/Oct before I returned it waiting for the 9650. 6months later, its still not out, so i just bit the bullet and got a new Tour again.
    03-23-10 12:03 PM
    besides the trackball and the loose battery door, what are the other issues with the phone, physically, not related to service?

i recently used my upgrade to get the Tour, i'm not going to wait for the 9650. i had the Tour back in Sept/Oct before I returned it waiting for the 9650. 6months later, its still not out, so i just bit the bullet and got a new Tour again.
    The only persistent problems were the trackball and the battery door - but that has been fixed in new models I believe. The trackball remains the main - and most annoying - problem with the Tour.
    03-23-10 12:33 PM
    Are the newer models more reliable with the trackball? Most of the problems ive been hearing of have been with phones purchased last year around the initial release
    03-23-10 12:44 PM
    RIM claims the problem has been fixed. However, there are two main problems with the trackball:

1. The trackball would not scroll horizontally from left-to-right correctly. This has been fixed in newer Tours.

2. The trackball is designed in such a way that dirt is easy to get inside of the assembly. And unlike previous designs, the trackball on the Tour cannot be removed easily to clean it. In fact, you must take apart the entire phone in order to get to the trackball assembly. This has NOT been fixed, and most likely will not/cannot be without a total redesign of the trackball and the outer casing.

The problem is that the trackball is so recessed that it's easy for gunk to get trapped inside. And when it does, it will eventually clog up the rollers so you won't be able to move it. A little rubbing alcohol helps cure it temporarily, but unfortunately it always comes back for me after a few days' use.
    Last edited by slinky317; 03-23-10 at 01:00 PM.
    03-23-10 12:49 PM
    this is my third tour, so far so good
    03-23-10 01:01 PM
    My first tour had a trackball problem...I just called and asked for a replacement, and this one has been working flawlessly
    03-23-10 01:06 PM
    I got my Tour on the 4th of March and haven't had much of a problem with the trackball. It worked amazing for the first two weeks but lately I've been noticing that it's not as responsive when I touch it, and it'll take awhile to actually MOVE. I've cleaned it once a week with an alcohol pad since I got it, and the phone is AMAZING but I'll be returning it sometime this week and I'll go back to sail on the waiting for 9650 ship. Trackpad is a must for me since I always have lotion or something to that effect on my hands.
    03-23-10 01:16 PM
    Has my tour for close to a month, no issues at all, love the phone.
    03-23-10 01:25 PM
    The trackball was the sole reason for me to not get the Tour. The high res screen was nice and so was the flash for the camera, but not enough for me to get it. The lowly curve2 got me with the wifi and trackpad. Haven't looked back since...
    03-23-10 01:29 PM
    I owned the 8530 before I exchange it for the Tour. I can tell you thaty the trackball on the tour is as responsive as the trackpad. Is more responsive than the 8330 trackball. Would choose any other BB. LUV DA TOUR!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-10 01:30 PM
    I got my Tour replaced back in September and ever since my trackball has been awesome. That was the only issue with the Tour and it has been fixed. The battery door is not an issue as it has absolutely no affect on the functionality of the phone.

However we have multiple curve 2 phones at work. They are junk. Poor build quality, poor battery life, poor camera and the screen is terrible.
    03-23-10 01:41 PM
    The trackball issues on the 9630 have been cleared up for months now. I personally love the trackball but it comes down the preferences of the individual. I think both take getting used to and familiar with though and I don't know if there is really any benefit of one over the other... In the majority of cases, if the trackball isn't working right it simply needs to be cleaned (rubbed on a piece of paper or using the "paper strip" method) and problem solved. With the trackpad, there really isn't the same "rolling" feeling as with the trackball. It just sort of moves but kind of doesn't... Idk.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-23-10 01:45 PM
    I got my Tour at the end of last summer and haven't had any issues with it at all.
    03-23-10 01:46 PM
    I think it might be a type of hit/miss situation. Like I said, mine is okayish but it's starting to act up and I don't want to get stuck with a phone with a bad trackball if I wait too long so I'll just wait for the 9650 after I return it. It's really a matter of personal preference. If you prefer the ball and really like it - clean it regularly and get the Tour. If you would like a trackpad, wait for the 9650.
    03-23-10 02:12 PM
    KBZ, does the tour have a 5.0 relaese with US cellular?
    No USC doesn't have an official OS 5 yet and from what I hear it will be awhile yet. I have one of Driphter's hybrids. I think it's a .419 base and like V6.1 or something.
    03-23-10 04:03 PM
    Does anyone know if us cellular will even get the 9650 when sprint and verizon do?
    03-23-10 04:29 PM
    esalonia, how has your experience with the tour been? If you dont mind me asking?
    It's been great, and rock solid. The trackball was "improved" but if I were in your shoes, I would wait for the new version to come out.
    03-23-10 04:46 PM
    I have had my tour for 6 months now and the track ball is solid... YMMVb

03-23-10 06:46 PM
    Hmm never really had much issues with the trackball, sticks sometimes but I just roll it around and it works again, happened problee a handful of times in the last 6 months or so

03-23-10 06:57 PM
    I prefer the trackball I had a moment for about 2 and a half months. I have wide thumbs so the trackball is more precise for me. To each his own though.

03-23-10 07:57 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD