So I received mine 'green dot' tour and it works fine, I wanna take the trackball test just to make sure everything is good to go.. How does the test work? I have to scroll all direction, right? what #'s am I suppost to get ? for ex.

up and down 1 etc..

GREEN DOT TOUR MADE IN MEXICO AUGUST 28, 2009!
    LOOKS PERFECT!
    09-22-09 11:03 PM
    I always wanted to know the same thing, I tried taking the test but didnt understand what i had to do rofl.
    09-22-09 11:07 PM
    Just hit random keys and make sure it reads them. Move to the next part and scroll in all directions, click, unclick, and make sure things are going smoothly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-22-09 11:57 PM
    I figured my trackball was OK when it registered the same numbers in all four directions, which was 3s and 4s.
    09-23-09 01:19 AM
    What/Where is the test? how do you do it?
    09-23-09 01:56 AM
    Go to OPTIONS > STATUS, then type 'test'. After you enter the test function, hit MENU > START.
    09-23-09 02:00 AM
    BTW, what is the "Green Dot" Tour?
    09-23-09 02:04 AM
    Go to OPTIONS > STATUS, then type 'test'. After you enter the test function, hit MENU > START.
    thanks i'll give it a shot!
    09-23-09 02:04 AM
    Got my third Tour (and probably my last); I still haven't mailed the previous one back to telesales so can easily make a comparison since they are next to each other.

Observations:
    1) Build date August 29th - previous was July 17th
    2) Trackball tracks and works great at 70 vertical/horizontal sensitivity (previous one - skips at vertical no matter the sensitivity and felt unsteady to touch).
    3) Keyboard - seems to have been much improved re. tactile feedback (the previous just seems less a part of a device, more difficult to type on it).

The above were expected since many commented on improved keyboard and trackball in their "good" replacements. What I did not expect was:
    4) Improved call quality - I no longer sounded muffled or distorted to the other party, either via bluetooth or voice.
    5) Improved connection / radio strength - new phone seemed to hold calls in a location where previous tour dropped calls consistently. When I entered another problem area, a confirmed dead zone near my home the new phone held the call longer before finally dropping out.
    6) The screen ripple - gone in the new phone, slight in the old phone
    7) Battery door - much more snug in the new phone from the get go - still, I replaced it with Verizon's

Verdict: those of you with Sprint Tour builds prior to 8/2/09 - definitely consider a replacement, unless you are absolutely sure that your Tour is working perfectly well. I was only able to find out about my issues when a friend of mine with a working Tour told me that I had problems, and I was able to compare my phone to his and confirm that he was right.
    09-23-09 02:35 AM
    what numbers are you supposed to get for the trackball test? are they supposed to be consistent in each direction?
    09-23-09 09:58 AM
    When i do the test up and down i get 1 consistent and left to right the same thing, I guess thats good!

OBS: I received my green dot tour and it works great, NO loose battery or trackball problems.

The build date is: August 29, 2009 MEXICO 5 VeriZon wireless
    09-23-09 10:13 AM
    I also got a MEXICO 5 August 29 build date as my replacement. So far things are good, seems much more solidly built than the one I returned.
    09-23-09 11:25 AM
    My first Tour I could get 6-12 vertical and 1 or 2 horizontal. I get a new Tour and with a pretty good flick on 70/70 I usually get 4's in all directions. The higher the number the better, but it depends on sensitivity and how you flick it.
    09-23-09 11:31 AM
    I think the real trackball test is try to play a game of brickbreaker! Considering that most trackball problems on the Tour have come from the left to right usage, brickbreaker will tell you real quick whether you trackball has an issue. As for the trackball test, my trackball got as high as 10 on Up, 8 on down, 4 on left, and 1 on right. I am running 80/80 on TB sensitivity. And, yep, going right is where I get the most trouble with my trackball. In the game of Brickbreaker, you are going to left to right and right to left, so it really requires a good trackball to use.

My tracbkall worked perfect for the first 3 weeks, then it started acting up. I don't know if a replacement tour will do any better in the LONG term, but I am sure it will help in the short term. I'd like to see what people who have had replacement Tour are saying about the trackball when they have the new device for 5 weeks or longer. Of course, it works in the first month!
    09-23-09 12:40 PM
    BTW, what is the "Green Dot" Tour?
    It's related to a new batch of Tours that supposedly don't have the trackball issues or other Tour problems posted in these forums. The green dot is on the battery or label. There are other CB threads that will give you better details on it. But the reason that everyone is asking for them is that they evidently don't have the problems that the first batch of Tours had. Read a few threads and that pesky trackball issue keeps rearing ugly head after a few weeks or so.
    09-23-09 12:45 PM
    As for the trackball test, my trackball got as high as 10 on Up, 8 on down, 4 on left, and 1 on right. I am running 80/80 on TB sensitivity. And, yep, going right is where I get the most trouble with my trackball.
    This could be super-obvious, but I feel like the hand I use to scroll, and thus whether I'm pushing or pulling the trackball, has a lot to do with my score on the trackball test. Pulling, moving my thumb toward my palm, is a much more natural motion that pushing it away.

Like, I'm left-handed, and so I use my left hand to scroll most of the time. So for me, rolling the trackball left is a pulling motion, whereas scrolling right it a pushing motion. My clicks are way higher going to the left, but rather than bring a trackball issue, I feel like it's a dexterity issue on my part. If I switch hands, my scores even out more--I'm suddenly getting more clicks to the right, and fewer to the left.

Obviously if someone's trackball is actually broken, then this isn't the case. But the whole trackball test got me thinking about it.
    09-23-09 01:26 PM
    When will crackberry sell replacement trackballs for the tour?
    09-23-09 01:34 PM
    How can you tell when your build date is for your bb tour?
    09-23-09 03:36 PM
    the test in options is ok, but it does really depend on how hard you flick the trackball... on 70/70 sensitivity i was able to get as high as 6 on my flicks but the usually fell between 2 - 4.... on my first tour, the reason i finally said "ok i have a bad trackball" was after trying to play a game or word mole. If you have a bad trackball, that game will tell you. You will not be able to move around the board from letter to letter as quick as you should be and most of the time (for my tour at least) it would just stay highlighted on a letter and as hard as i rolled, it wouldn't move. Just a suggestion, i found it to be a better test for the trackball
    09-23-09 03:52 PM
    ok so i tried the test in options again and if i held the phone in one hand and flicked the trackball with the index finger of my free hand, i was able to get the left and right to read up to 17 on 70/70..... this is def a good sign that the trackball is ok
    09-23-09 03:55 PM
    Add another Bad track ball here
    09-23-09 03:58 PM
    I bought my Tour that Sunday when it came out.
    All was fine but I noticed some minor build quality issues that I really didn't care too much about. The trackball was always slow to respond horizontally but at first I didn't know that it was an issue, I thought it was just the way it was designed.

Fast forward to another semester of college and half my friends own a Tour. I played with one friend's newer Tour and his trackball was perfectly fine, far more tactile and responsive and it was set at 70 too.

I ended up just complaining to VZW on Monday and my replacement phone came in the mail today. Granted it was refurbished, I really can't tell the difference and the build quality is actually better than the one I'm sending back in.

I noticed the keys felt better to type on and my battery cover wasn't loose to touch. I also lock my phone manually a lot and on my old phone, the entire black plastic covering the headphone on the top would be slightly loose every time I pressed the lock on the top left of the phone. The new one's plastic cover is completely solid, no loose feeling whatsoever.

Oh yes, the trackball is far more responsive. That and I noticed it had a different touch to it than what I had. Like the ball itself was different textured or something. All in all, I'm glad I exchanged my phone. And also glad Verizon didn't give me **** about wanting a replacement.
    09-23-09 07:03 PM
    Well I've know I had a bad trackball with this replacement Tour, and after taking this test, it confirmed it.
    I get 3's and 4's up and down, but I can only get 1's left and right. Sometimes scrolling right brings up a left and vice versa.
    Man, i'm just not willing to deal with verizon to get a replacement, but maybe i finally will
    09-24-09 07:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD