Curve and Bold are trackpad now, storm is touchscreen and no one cares about the Perl. If the Tour is going away, is this goodbye for the trackball?

Who's messed around extensively with the trackpad? what's the consensus amongst Tour users?

I tried it on my friends new Curve. It felt kinda cheap and more like a flat joystick than a touch-sensitive track pad. I checked it out on a friends new Bold and it felt a little better but both phones felt lightweight and plasticky.

will the new Bold(Tour) feel more substantial and have a better trackpad?
    04-13-10 10:14 AM
    Its goodbye trackball for sure.. I think it felt ok on my girls 8530 and at the 9700. Never tried the 9650
    04-13-10 10:18 AM
    Yep pretty much.....

I just don't like how cheap the track pad felt.. Maybe it was just the 8530
    04-13-10 10:19 AM
    I've tried 'em both, I prefer the trackball which is why I won't be ugrading to a newer phone, my 9630 works great and if I ever do have a trackball problem they're fairly easy to replace.
    04-13-10 10:29 AM
    I have the bold 2 for about three months now and really like the track pad. I wasnt sure about it at first either, but with very extensive daily use (texting, games and surfing) I have found that it can be quicker and more responsive. I used to have the scroll setting on 90 with my 8310 but have backed it off to 60 with the bold and get the same feel. The phone itself feels pretty solid and has been through more than one high velocity drop with only minor scratches and no case on it.
    04-13-10 10:41 AM
    It's hard to say because everything on the 8530 is cheap. I used one on a 9700, and it was nice. If the 9650 is anything like that, it should be fine.

I don't know what happened to the trackball. On the 8130/8830/8330, it was great. The 9630 comes out, and it is all jacked up, and several units had to be replaced, and then the whole green dot thing.

Why did they change it?
    04-13-10 11:41 AM
    The trackball assembly is completely different on the tour. if they went back to the assembly that was on the older models the problem would be solved.
    04-13-10 11:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD