I just got my Tour 2 weeks ago, and am still in love with it. I asked the customer service guy for a green dot box and the trackball and battery door both are really good on mine, but just a question.

My trackball seems loose. Like it goes really far into the phone before it actually clicks. Is this just my phone or is that how all the Tours are? I just don't remember the one in the store actually pushing into the phone. Also, if I push the ball down (not to the point of clicking, just pushing it down) and move it side to side (not rolling, just pushing it) the silver piece moves around a bit in the holder.

Are either of these normal?

Sorry if this makes no sense! I can explain more if it doesn't.
    10-12-09 10:25 PM
    mine goes in a bit before it clicks but housing doesnt move around or anything and i think its normal for it to go in a bit before it clicks
    10-12-09 10:29 PM
    Mine is the exact same way
    10-12-09 10:32 PM
    phew! ok. I guess I was so paranoid about getting a defective one that I was looking for every problem!
    10-12-09 10:37 PM
    and my trackball ring, moves a lil tiny bit i have to be up close to it, to see it move
    10-12-09 10:45 PM
    same there...you're not alone...
    10-12-09 10:49 PM
    mine is the same...also plastic in the bottom right corner of the menu button and the bottom left corner of the menu button cracked in half.
    10-12-09 10:54 PM
    I have to say that the build quality is junk on this phone. The other day I dropped by accident (not from a great height I was sitting down) - luckily I have the epik case which protects it a fair deal. The phone fell flat on its face. The trackball did the whole cannot scroll right thing. I thought I was gonna have to call up VZW. After playing with it for a bit I pressed down on the trackball reasonably hard. I heard a click and every thing started working again....

Just goes to show that either it built really well or not well at all. I think the latter. I still get a weird creaking noise when I press the front top of the phone (where the BlackBerry name and logo is).
    10-12-09 11:06 PM
    I just wanted to make sure it wasn't just my phone.

The trackball on mine when pushed down (not even clicking, just pushing lightly) goes almost to the point of being even with the back and bb keys next to it. Is that how far yours go down too?

As my first blackberry, I'm still happy with my phone. All phones have issues, I do notice the creak a little bit, but really it doesn't bug me because I have no reason to be pressing it up there anyways.
    10-12-09 11:43 PM
    ya mine goes close to being flush with the buttons buts its nots
    10-12-09 11:48 PM
    I just wanted to make sure it wasn't just my phone.

The trackball on mine when pushed down (not even clicking, just pushing lightly) goes almost to the point of being even with the back and bb keys next to it. Is that how far yours go down too?

As my first blackberry, I'm still happy with my phone. All phones have issues, I do notice the creak a little bit, but really it doesn't bug me because I have no reason to be pressing it up there anyways.
    Yep that's the way mine is too... kind of a pain, if I'm not careful I end up hitting either the escape or menu button when I try to click the ball. Mine has a real light spring behind the ball... not real tight in the socket either. I hate to swap it yet because everything else is working fine.
    10-12-09 11:54 PM
    Oh, I didn't know it was a reason to exchange it. It actually is pretty annoying to have the ball do that and it drives me crazy sometimes how loose it is. I'm just worried I'll take it back and have even worse problems...
    10-13-09 06:43 AM
    This is why computer mice stopped having balls in them like 10 years ago. Not sure why RIM ever thought putting a trackball on a phone was a good idea for long term durability.
    10-13-09 07:09 AM
    This is why computer mice stopped having balls in them like 10 years ago. Not sure why RIM ever thought putting a trackball on a phone was a good idea for long term durability.
    Too bad they wouldn't have at least came up with some sort of optical ball,, even though the touch pad will be better on the Tour(2). I've had a wireless Logitech optical track marble for 10yrs and still works like new. Even the eraser style mouse like on my old PC6700 would have been an improvement.
    10-13-09 10:26 AM
    So do you think it's worth exchanging it for a new one? It's gotten to the point where when i go to click the ball, say for like sending a text message, that it scrolls as I am clicking so sometimes it hits a different menu option rather than the send option.
    10-13-09 11:07 AM
    Who said they were concerned with long term?... The way they are spitting out phones.. they need you to replace lol
    10-13-09 11:23 AM
    I've had mine 3 weeks and the ball presses in far, and my fat fingers scroll or hit the other buttons. long term? they should at least design them to last the span of a 2 yr contract.
    10-13-09 11:30 AM
    kirksucks: Did you return yours or are you still using it?
    10-13-09 12:14 PM
    still using it. is it something i can return it over?

other issues:
    my call button is permenantly pressed in halfway.
    The battery cover is loose.
    Appworld update gives me an error every time i try to install it.
    Volume with (corded)headset calls is really low.
    10-13-09 12:18 PM
    I don't see why you wouldn't be able to return it. Just tell them it has trackball issues, and from what I've heard it's a known issue that they have to switch it out for you. I could be wrong though?

The only issue with mine is the trackball having to be pushed in so far. So I might go to Verizon and see if the model one (not a dummy one) has the same issue w/ the trackball, and if it doesn't, the I might ask them to replace mine.
    10-13-09 12:21 PM
    will a desktop manager back up take care of all my apps and contacts and stuff if i get a replacement?
    10-13-09 01:05 PM
    That was my question too. I don't see why it wouldn't. Do you have a memory card too?

I'm also worried about getting a new phone and it being worse b/c this ones only problem is the ball being pushed in too far when I push it.
    10-13-09 01:25 PM
    My trackball also pushes in a bit far, ill be replacing it with a new red one as soon as it comes in the mail and ill report back as to if it fixes it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-09 09:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD