The trackball still functions in the sense that I can press on links etc, and the pointer still moves appropriately, but when I press down to click, the ball does not "click"

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Also, when I go to verizon with my problem, will I get a refurbished phone if they decide to go that route or will I be able to receive a new tour?

Perhaps I should go to the manufacturer with the problem?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-10 07:42 PM
    I would go to a local store for exchange.

I replaced my trackball myself because I did not want to send mine away. The problem you are having sounds like a bad "dome" on the sensor board.

That board is cheap (like $20 if I recall) if you have the courage to change yourself. But, it will void your warranty to open the phone.

01-03-10 08:18 PM
    How old is your phone? If less than 30 days you will probably get a new phone. After that it may be refurbished.
    01-03-10 09:30 PM
    I think my phone is just over 30 days old
    01-03-10 09:44 PM
    Had trackball issues with my first Tour, they gave me a refurbished one a few weeks ago. Trackball works 1000x better on this one. Don't mind that it's refurbished..at least it works like it's supposed to...

01-03-10 10:05 PM
    I just hate to give up a new phone. Kind of lame though since it is not working properly. I guess if I can get a refurb phone that works well its better than a new phone working improperly.

01-04-10 12:43 AM
    the whole refurb thing is overhyped. Most "refurbed' tours never saw public use.
    01-04-10 10:41 AM
    mine has not clicked since i got it. What is needed to fix it? will this do it
    Trackball Roller Ball Joystick for Blackberry Tour 9630 - eBay (item 170407050041 end time Jan-13-10 13:15:38 PST)
    or do i need to replace something else? I have not pulled the tour apart yet.
    01-04-10 12:14 PM
    I ended up going to a corporate store and they are sending me a refurb in a couple days so I guess I will check it out.

tdrus1 what do you mean by your statement. ? Why would the phones be labeled refurefurbished

01-04-10 10:29 PM
    i have also had the same problem with my tour.. i am on my second tour and it worked great for a few weeks but then suddenly the trackball stopped "clicking." it still works properly so i have not yet gotten it replaced. i'm thinking about just changing the trackball myself rather than dealing with getting an entirely new phone.
    01-04-10 10:42 PM
    MINE WAS DOING THAT A FEW DAYS AGO! coz i guess i used too much rubbing alcohol when cleaning the ball & also it was double clicking. i think the only thing i can recommend is getting it exchanged
    01-04-10 11:05 PM
    i dont want to take my phone in because i do not want to lose my paid apps so if someone can tell me how to fix it myself that would be great
    01-04-10 11:05 PM
    does anyone know what parts are needed to fix this?
    01-05-10 08:54 PM
    I'm having the same problem. just went into verizon today and they're sending me another one. you'd think this wouldn't be that bad of a problem and even for the first week or so i was okay with it but it's really a pain to try and figure out when you're clicking and what you're clicking on. then my friend who doesn't have a bb/may never have used on picked mine up and said "what the ****'s wrong with your ball?" and i figured if it was that noticable i should take care of it. hopefully the refurb's in better shape and holds up better than this one. only had it for 2 months or so..
    01-05-10 09:21 PM
    yeah i would like to fix it on my won so i do not lose any of my apps that i have bought
    01-05-10 09:51 PM
    I'm having the same problem. just went into verizon today and they're sending me another one. you'd think this wouldn't be that bad of a problem and even for the first week or so i was okay with it but it's really a pain to try and figure out when you're clicking and what you're clicking on. then my friend who doesn't have a bb/may never have used on picked mine up and said "what the ****'s wrong with your ball?" and i figured if it was that noticable i should take care of it. hopefully the refurb's in better shape and holds up better than this one. only had it for 2 months or so..
    I had mine for about two months also. I didnt even realize that my trackball was messed up until I picked up my friends day old Tour and realized how nice and smooth his ball rolled, and also had a nice click to it.

I went to verizon, and the end result is me getting a refurbished today from Fed Ex. So far it seems nice, im currently switching everything over with device manager. The ball does not seem as crisp as the one on my buddies Tour was, but its definitely better than my old one.
    01-06-10 07:06 PM
    Also, I would like to note, the new Tour I received, does have a green dot on the small box it came in.
    01-06-10 07:12 PM
    You need a new sensor board. I am on my blackberry now, otherwise I'd send the link.

Its available on cnn.cn and in Canada I think gocelluar.ca

The board is not hard to change. You will need a T6 screw driver and 20-30 minutes.

I replaced my trackball and just followed Tour disassembly videos on youtube. I think if you search the forums here "tour trackball change" or something like that you'll find good disassembly videos and photos as well.

You will void your warranty they say.

I think the sensor board is $20

01-06-10 07:20 PM
    thanks!

i do not care about the warranty i have insurance. I care more about all of the money i have spent on apps...
    01-06-10 10:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD